A week or so ago I bought an off-peak return (with railcard) for the above route, and was offered two options: "via Gomshall" (i.e. the direct line via Guildford) and "Any permitted route".
I had previously checked permitted routes with the National Rail journey planner, and noted that Reading-Paddington-underground-Victoria-Gatwick was one of them, and this was the route I planned to use.
However, my ticket was rejected at the underground barriers and only then did I notice that it did not have the "+" symbol on it. I also got an orange light on the barriers at Paddington (return) and Victoria (both ways) but staff allowed me through.
The on board supervisor (OBS) on the Gatwick Express checked on his terminal and confirmed that the ticket I had should have been valid on that route, and I have put in a request to GWR to refund the underground fares.
However, checking on brfares.com after my return, I noticed that (as well as having increased) many of the fares on that route have two "Any permitted route" options, both at the same price and with the same fare setter, but one with and one without the "+" symbol, and the former ones also stating "Ticket issued from Reading/Reading West" - I don't recall seeing any of this before.
It seems very odd to me; I'd be grateful if anyone can explain it, please, or indeed if anyone has experienced the same problems that I have and whether they were successful in claiming back the underground fares.
I had previously checked permitted routes with the National Rail journey planner, and noted that Reading-Paddington-underground-Victoria-Gatwick was one of them, and this was the route I planned to use.
However, my ticket was rejected at the underground barriers and only then did I notice that it did not have the "+" symbol on it. I also got an orange light on the barriers at Paddington (return) and Victoria (both ways) but staff allowed me through.
The on board supervisor (OBS) on the Gatwick Express checked on his terminal and confirmed that the ticket I had should have been valid on that route, and I have put in a request to GWR to refund the underground fares.
However, checking on brfares.com after my return, I noticed that (as well as having increased) many of the fares on that route have two "Any permitted route" options, both at the same price and with the same fare setter, but one with and one without the "+" symbol, and the former ones also stating "Ticket issued from Reading/Reading West" - I don't recall seeing any of this before.
It seems very odd to me; I'd be grateful if anyone can explain it, please, or indeed if anyone has experienced the same problems that I have and whether they were successful in claiming back the underground fares.