• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Random question on what's taken to mean yes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class 317

Member
Joined
7 Jul 2020
Messages
571
Location
Cotswolds
Just an odd and random question on sayings people would take as yes but that not everyone may take the same way!

The reason I'm asking is there is a lot of tension between 2 colleagues. One is Neuro diverse like myself but they have quite a different understanding of some of the comments said by other colleagues than I do.

The main ones seems to be if the phase " Sounds good " is used to mean maybe but is causing tension as it's being taken as a yes.

Appreciate anyone's input as It would be nice to help them get to the point they communicate better.

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,324
Location
Glasgow
Just an odd and random question on sayings people would take as yes but that not everyone may take the same way!

The reason I'm asking is there is a lot of tension between 2 colleagues. One is Neuro diverse like myself but they have quite a different understanding of some of the comments said by other colleagues than I do.

The main ones seems to be if the phase " Sounds good " is used to mean maybe but is causing tension as it's being taken as a yes.

Appreciate anyone's input as It would be nice to help them get to the point they communicate better.

Thanks
To me 'sounds good' signals agreement, an affirmative, yes.

It doesn't suggest only maybe.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,039
Location
Up the creek
To me ‘sounds good’ on its own is ‘yes’, but it could mean ‘that is fine so far, but…’ if immediately followed by further suggestions. On its own I would take it as ’yes’, but I would say ‘yes’ in just about all situations. (A legacy of needing to have absolute clarity when using BR telephones with poor reception.)
 
Last edited:

Bertie the bus

Established Member
Joined
15 Aug 2014
Messages
3,216
It depends on context and who is saying it. Sounds good can be a reasonable reply to someone who comes up with a zany scheme just to be polite and encouraging while knowing for a fact it won't happen.
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,417
Location
S Yorks, usually
And depends on how it’s said. The intonation could imply ‘sounds good… but’, or simple agreement.
We had a similar misunderstanding at work once over “why don’t you [do X]”, where the person saying it intended it as a helpful suggestion “how about [doing X]”, but the recipient heard it as an accusation “why didn’t you [do X]?”
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,293
The main ones seems to be if the phase " Sounds good " is used to mean maybe but is causing tension as it's being taken as a yes.
It's ambiguous, and is likely to be confusing. Up there with "That'd be nice", "Can I get back to you?" and maybe even "Yeah, right!".

"Sounds good" seems capable of having more than just one possible meaning, and is maybe being said by someone feeling obligated or pressured, so as to avoid having to give an outright "No!" to something that they are likely not entirely happy with.
 

Belperpete

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2018
Messages
3,679
It depends on how it is said. If the emphasis is on "good", that is positive. However, if the emphasis is on the "sounds" that would be negative: it sounds good, but......

Even if the emphasis is positive, I wouldn't take it as an outright yes, at best a "I have no objection".
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,627
Location
Isle of Man
The main ones seems to be if the phase " Sounds good " is used to mean maybe but is causing tension as it's being taken as a yes.
Sounds good is positive. It means that the person offers no objection. It’s not a resounding delighted yes but it’s definitely not a maybe.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,569
Location
LBK
Just an odd and random question on sayings people would take as yes but that not everyone may take the same way!

The reason I'm asking is there is a lot of tension between 2 colleagues. One is Neuro diverse like myself but they have quite a different understanding of some of the comments said by other colleagues than I do.

The main ones seems to be if the phase " Sounds good " is used to mean maybe but is causing tension as it's being taken as a yes.

Appreciate anyone's input as It would be nice to help them get to the point they communicate better.

Thanks
"Sounds good" is a less committed way of saying yes.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Up there with "That'd be nice"
Yes, cautious.

, "Can I get back to you?"
Likely a no, unless qualified in some way. "I think I have a doctor appointment then - can I get back to you?" is a maybe, but a simple "Can I get back to you on that one?" means someone is looking for a way to say no but outside of the present conversation.

and maybe even "Yeah, right!".
Almost always sarcastic.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

To me ‘sounds good’ on its own is ‘yes’, but it could mean ‘that is fine so far, but…’ if immediately followed by further suggestions. On its own I would take it as ’yes’, but I would say ‘yes’ in just about all situations. (A legacy of needing to have absolute clarity when using BR telephones with poor reception.)
Yeah this is a good explanation.

"Want to go to the cinema after work?" "Sounds good" - that's a yes.

"Want to come with me to the football on Saturday?" "Sounds good, but I think I don't have the car then, so perhaps we could go next week?" is a no with the emphasis on the fact the idea was good in the first place.
 

oldman

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2013
Messages
1,353
The most that can be said is that it does not mean no. It is unlikely to be said in isolation and has to be taken in context.
 

PG

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
3,470
Location
at the end of the high and low roads
Thinking from the autistic perspective - the response is What [is it that you're referring to which] sounds good? [as whatever was said doesn't seem to refer to a sound or sounds]
 

DM352

Member
Joined
9 Oct 2019
Messages
290
Location
White north
I have worked with some offshore developers and yes is sometimes said by default instead of no for some tasks. We only find out later when the work is not complete.
 
Last edited:

YouLostAStar

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2024
Messages
32
Location
Bristol
Just an odd and random question on sayings people would take as yes but that not everyone may take the same way!

The reason I'm asking is there is a lot of tension between 2 colleagues. One is Neuro diverse like myself but they have quite a different understanding of some of the comments said by other colleagues than I do.

The main ones seems to be if the phase " Sounds good " is used to mean maybe but is causing tension as it's being taken as a yes.

Appreciate anyone's input as It would be nice to help them get to the point they communicate better.

Thanks
context is going to be super important here and how the reply is given.
It feels like a non-committal yes. Or it could be "I couldn't care less"
 

gg1

Established Member
Joined
2 Jun 2011
Messages
2,499
Location
Birmingham
Unless there was additional context which inferred otherwise, I would interpret 'sounds good' as yes.
 

oldman

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2013
Messages
1,353
Unless there was additional context which inferred otherwise, I would interpret 'sounds good' as yes.
There is always context in real-world language - the people involved, the subject of the conversation and so on.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
"Sounds good" is a less committed way of saying yes.
I have often used "sounds good" as a way to give some form of non comital affirmation to a statement/activity I am not that interested in. If it all goes to pot I can always say: I didn't approve this! ;)
 

GordonT

Established Member
Joined
26 May 2018
Messages
1,708
"Sounds good" can sometimes be expressed by someone wishing to be on good terms with the person they are addressing by sounding encouraging/positive but at the same time distancing themself from being a party to the decision making process and instead merely expressing an opinion from a bystander's perspective.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top