• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railways In Litterature / Travel Writing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyreneenguy

Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
327
I recently enjoyed a five day trip to the West and North Highland lines. As a prelude to this journey, I re-read Paul Theroux's ' Kingdom By The Sea' .The book was about Theroux's observations made on a trip around the coast of Britain by train in the year of the Falklands War - 1982. The book was a good read; but who knows where truth and poetic-licence meet ?

I've read a good number of Theroux's works, notably :
The Great Railway Bazaar (1975)
The Old Patagonian Express (1979)
Riding The Iron Rooster (1988)

What books / authors have you enjoyed reading on the subject of rail travel ?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,478
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
I have a good collection of hardback railway books and I wonder if other forum members have a similar collection with favourite authors or full series editions they may want to discuss, as before the internet, these were very good for purposes of reference, notwithstanding very interesting reading matter.

To this day, O.S.Nock remains my favourite railway author and I have the following hardback books written by him:-
A History of the L.M.S.
Great Northern
Great Western
The British Steam Railway Locomotive 1925-1965
British Railways At War 1939-1945
From The Footplate : Reminiscences of the Last Years of Steam
 
Last edited:

Pyreneenguy

Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
327
Just a short reply, as in a 'bump' !

Paul Sidorczuk : my 'pride and joy' are Frederick A Talbot's 2 volume 'Railway Wonders of the World'. They were given to me 'out of the blue' by my chemistry teacher, when I was 14 ! In absolutely mint condition, they might fetch as much as £250 !
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,478
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
You most certainly have an excellant two volume set. Be careful there are no surface damages to the covers, as this will surely reduce their value, even as a set.

You did say in "absolutely mint condition", but this is in need of clarification. I would take them to a reputable dealer and ask a price "for insurance value".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top