• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Touring Co Harz Mountains Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Has anyone ever been on one of RTCs Holidays to the Harz Mountains? I see they have one in Oct/Nov and wonder what it would be like, early starts/late finishes etc.? Are their overseas trips good?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PhilipF

Member
Joined
22 Feb 2013
Messages
39
Location
Bradford-on-Avon
I do wonder why people feel they need to use these "organized" trips. There are some advantages - main one being you don't have to 'look' for somewhere to stay each night. Agree it can be risky arriving in a town with few hotels, and they all full! Never happened to us, though I will admit to a near go when we arrived in Stockholm at eight in the evening, and had a hell of a job to find one:(
Couple of years ago we took our own trip to the Harz. We picked the town of Quidlinburg as a good place to centre ourselves. Turned out to be a most excellent "touristy" little town. Try on your own, you certainly will not reget doing so:)
 

blackfive460

Member
Joined
23 Jun 2010
Messages
869
I do wonder why people feel they need to use these "organized" trips. ...
...Try on your own, you certainly will not regret doing so:)

I'd second that having just returned from my third trip to the area in the last three years.
There are plenty of hotels handy for public transport in the area; I've always stayed in Wernigerode.
Aside from traveling on HSB, the hotels will give you a booklet of discount vouchers which also allow free travel on most service buses in the Harz region.

Last year I had a longish stay in the area starting in Nordhausen then travelling on to Wernigerode using the remarkably good value HarzTourCard which at 18€ (the same price as a single from Nordhausen to Wernigerode) is valid for three days on all of the HSB (except Schierke to the Brocken) plus buses and some DB and HEX trains.
I spent the other two days on the Harzquerbahn and Selkatalbahn and then got a three day ticket for the HSB to do the Brockenbahn.

To be fair, RTC's tour does include the Rübelandbahn and a bit of main line steam but I'd rather have the flexibility and avoid paying almost £2000!
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
The main advantage of such organised tours for some is that everything is arranged for you, you have a tour leader or guide and travel with others who are likely to have similar interests.

There's no right way or wrong way to do it, just whatever suits the individual traveller. Though it's true to say that a DIY trip allows you more choice and flexibility to do what you want rather than what has been arranged.
 

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
A few years ago I went with "Railtrails" (office in Leek, Staffs) to the Harz Mountains. There were two early mornings of having breakfast at 0600hrs and one of those was on the day of departure to enable us to obtain connections right through Germany, Belguim, Brussels then Eurostar to be in London for early evening.
The advantage of organised trip was that we had our special train double headed with two mallets and travelled over the entire system steam hauled.
The cost of the whole holiday included staying in a top hotel in Wernigerode was good value.

Just checked Railtrails web site and 7 day tour to Harz commencing 7 October all inclusive for around £1,000
 
Last edited:

Gordon

Member
Joined
11 Feb 2011
Messages
1,145
Location
Surrey
.
Depends what you want the experience to be like. I tend to favour DIY for operations like the remaining German steam operated ng lines, as I prefer gricing 'real' regular services rather than specials.

The Harz is dead easy to do DIY as it is a tourist area with plenty of accomodation - from hotels to private rooms (Zimmer Frei) - easily bookable nowadays on the various hotel booking sites.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top