• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway/TOC Websites - The Good and Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
The best and worst: EMT's is horrible, but LM/Southern/SE's are nice. Don't like the new-ish NRE too. Anyone else?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lampshade

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2009
Messages
3,778
Location
South London
The GoVia ones are very well designed, East Coast isn't half bad either. FCC's on the other hand is pretty ropey, looks as if it was designed by a four year old.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
Scotrail isn't bad either, Northern are quite good, Hull Trains looks like the same person who made FCC's :D
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,128
Location
Redcar
I really like the East Coast and Northern Rail, both really good (booking engine on EC is brilliant). Dislike NRE a lot, EMT's is a bit clunky and Hull Trains hasn't been updated in at least I would have thought 18 months!
 

The Snap

Established Member
Joined
10 Jun 2005
Messages
3,156
Virgin's was good a year or two ago, but I've gone off it. TPE's isn't bad, and East Coast is quite nice. I'm not keen on London Midland's, and particualrly XC's :roll:...
 

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Joined
13 May 2008
Messages
12,774
Now all the teething problems I had with it are gone, I actually quite like the "new" NR site- a lot of it makes a lot more sense if you register an account and stay logged in.
For booking tickets, East Coast tends to be a favourite- partly because I like the booking engine, though also partly because most of my long distance travel tends to be with them.
 

Jordy

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2005
Messages
8,466
Location
WCML South
East Coast is my personal favourite, but any of the ones which use the East Coast style booking engine are fairly good!
 

Keele13

Member
Joined
1 Jul 2010
Messages
37
As someone who uses it often, Cross Country's website is RUBBISH!

The only reason I persist is for the 'pick your seat' function, but often this doesn't work. It's just really slow and clunky, and seems to pick and choose whether it remembers your journey if you need to change your search parameters at all (e.g. same route on a different date).

I quite like Virgin's site, though I always book the same journey through them so maybe I'm just used to that process.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Now all the teething problems I had with it are gone, I actually quite like the "new" NR site- a lot of it makes a lot more sense if you register an account and stay logged in.
For booking tickets, East Coast tends to be a favourite- partly because I like the booking engine, though also partly because most of my long distance travel tends to be with them.

I just can;t take to the NRE site at all. I find it difficult to find information, and a lot of what I do manage to find is pretty useless.

I do love the EC site. I also rate FGW quite highly, and ATW has a lot of information. I must admit I haven't looked at the others for quite a while!
 

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,294
I like:
EastCoast
GoVia
Virgin Trains
Northern
ScotRail
SouthWestTrains

I don't like CrossCountrys. I remember when they didn't have PDFs up for about 6 months
EMTs annoys me because it takes an age to get to the timetables
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
I only use East Coast (as it is the best out of the lot) unless there is a special promotion (such as TPE's Student discount).
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
It is the best if you just want to plan a journey and look for tickets. Other TOC's can be good for finding out info about the areas they serve!
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
I like:
EastCoast
GoVia
Virgin Trains
Northern
ScotRail
SouthWestTrains

I don't like CrossCountrys. I remember when they didn't have PDFs up for about 6 months
EMTs annoys me because it takes an age to get to the timetables

EMT just say, oh you can do everything online, this that and the other online - yet the website is awful, you click on the Timetable PDF things, and it still asks you of you want to create your own :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top