• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway scene in 'Whatever happenrd to the likely lads'

Status
Not open for further replies.

102 fan

On Moderation
Joined
14 May 2007
Messages
790

Hi. At 2119 there's a scene which in the script is set in Doncaster railway station, but there's an overall roof. Am I right in thinking it's Newcastle?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

StephenHunter

Established Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
2,954
Location
London
Well, someone wasn't following the Corporate Identity Manual on those signs, that's for sure...
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,351
I think they may have been filmed at different locations - initially Doncaster, where they get off the train, then changing to either Newcastle or York (with "false" Doncaster nameplates).
 

RyanOPlasty

Member
Joined
9 Feb 2020
Messages
164
Location
Nuneaton
The lights under the overall roof look very much like those I remember at Newcastle station in the 60s and 70s.
 

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,140
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
The platform in the final scene is straight, which wouldn't be the case at either York or Newcastle. Might it have been Darlington?
 

Trestrol

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2022
Messages
273
Location
Newcastle

Hi. At 2119 there's a scene which in the script is set in Doncaster railway station, but there's an overall roof. Am I right in thinking it's Newcastle?
You are quite correct All the railway scenes are filmed at Newcastle Central Station. The overall roof and long thin lights give it away. The train is in Platform 4 a bay platform at the east end of the station. It's now disappeared under the east end car park. The building used for the external shots of the waiting room is still there. Although I think it has a gym in it for the hotel now. Was once the Barbers and upstairs was a staff mess room in the late 80s. Only used it once. The final scene where Thelma meets Terry off the train is the old east end concourse next to the old east end ticket office. Know as Tynemouth Square. Hope that answers your question.
 

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,314
You are quite correct All the railway scenes are filmed at Newcastle Central Station. The overall roof and long thin lights give it away. The train is in Platform 4 a bay platform at the east end of the station. It's now disappeared under the east end car park. The building used for the external shots of the waiting room is still there. Although I think it has a gym in it for the hotel now. Was once the Barbers and upstairs was a staff mess room in the late 80s. Only used it once. The final scene where Thelma meets Terry off the train is the old east end concourse next to the old east end ticket office. Know as Tynemouth Square. Hope that answers your question.
Welcome to the forum, and thanks for such a detailed reply.

To add to your information I’ve taken a screen grab from Google Streetview, it’s from a fairly long distance photo but it is definitely the building you see if you stop the video at about 27m 00s or 27m 24s. I think in the old layout P4 was one of the longest straight platforms available.

82B60762-869D-4658-AFBC-14DD1E263D29.jpeg
 
Last edited:

Trestrol

Member
Joined
12 Apr 2022
Messages
273
Location
Newcastle
It was one of the longest and was last used by the Newcastle-Penzance HSTs which fitted nicely. BR's S&T department had their stores up until the early 90s in the old Parcels office. This extended under the stations East end and the furthest rooms had shafts to platform 4 faces. I can remember the throb and smell of an HST awaiting departure.
 

Pinza-C55

Member
Joined
23 May 2015
Messages
1,035
There used to be an overnight Kings X to Edinburgh train which for some reason used to set back into one of the long bay platforms at the east end of Newcastle then go forward to Edinburgh, although with the passage of time I forget the details.
 

StephenHunter

Established Member
Joined
22 Jul 2017
Messages
2,954
Location
London
There used to be an overnight Kings X to Edinburgh train which for some reason used to set back into one of the long bay platforms at the east end of Newcastle then go forward to Edinburgh, although with the passage of time I forget the details.
Leaving carriages behind?
 

Pinza-C55

Member
Joined
23 May 2015
Messages
1,035
I think it detached some sleeping coaches.

Edit* I checked my fading copy of 1H80 and it says
KINGS CROSS (LONDON)
1N00 M-S Newcastle
1N04 detached at Darlington, portion for 1S08 07.05 Newcastle - Edinburgh conveyed.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top