• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Posters - Online collections which are free to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

aavm

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2018
Messages
152
Location
London
I rather like historical railways posters. Does anyone know of free-to-use railway poster collections.

The Science Museum / National Railway museum has this : https://collection.sciencemuseumgro...y-posters,-notices-&-handbills?page[size]=100

A couple of their posters below. First one shows how I imagine the dinning cars on the new SWR Class 701's will look. Second is a typical example. They have a "free for non-commercial use" license.

Thanks

restaurant-car.jpg

south-downs-rambles.jpg
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,351
Depends on copyright law. There are exceptions, but I think in general, documents, including posters, go "out of copyright" after 70 years.
 

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Joined
2 Sep 2016
Messages
18,333
Location
Glasgow
Depends on copyright law. There are exceptions, but I think in general, documents, including posters, go "out of copyright" after 70 years.
It's life + 70 years usually (I.e. the 70 years is measured from the death of the original author/creator/artist/musician etc).
 

aavm

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2018
Messages
152
Location
London
The copyright would have been with the company rather than the artist? Which became the TOCs ?
Lots of prints are available online. The Science Museum collection has a free for non commercial use licence.
 

NER1621

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2023
Messages
187
Location
Darlington
The copyright would have been with the company rather than the artist? Which became the TOCs ?
Lots of prints are available online. The Science Museum collection has a free for non commercial use licence.
Who owned/owns the copyright and how long the copyright lasts (“duration”) are two different things.

As a rough rule of thumb take duration of copyright as stated by @hexagon789 - life of creator plus 70 full years (i.e. to the 31st Dec of the 70th year after the creator died.) This does vary, especially in the case of graphical works (such as posters and their artwork) but if you assume death+70 that’s a good start. So, for any poster images older than 70 years after the death of the artist you can generally (not always) assume they are out of copyright.

Ownership of the copyright depends on the contractual terms (if any) under which the work was created and any subsequent deals - copyright is a property right, separate from ownership of the actual physical copyrightable object, and can be bought/sold/gifted on its own.

If the poster artist was commissioned by a (railway) company they may have contracted with the artist that the company would own the copyright of any artwork they bought, as well as the actual physical artwork. Alternatively the artist may have insisted on retaining copyright and just licensed the artwork image to the railway company for a specified period/set of uses. Without knowing the terms of the original contract you can’t say. And then the artist or the railway company may have sold or gifted the copyright to someone else.

In the case of posters held in the Science Museum/NRM collection, the British Railways Board gifted any copyrights in those posters (or inherited from the pre-nationalisation companies) to the Trustees of the Science Museum insofar as BRB owned them. Whether the BRB actually did own the copyright for every individual poster is debateable. But unless anyone else claiming to be the copyright owner makes a fuss we won’t know. And as the posters age, so the issue diminishes.

As a public good the Science Museum has decided to let people have (low-res) copies of the images free for non-commercial uses. But if you want to use them for commercial purposes (e.g. selling reproductions for framing, or for model railway use) then you’d need to determine the copyright status.
 

aavm

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2018
Messages
152
Location
London
Does anyone know of any other online collections besides the Nation Railway Museum / Science Museum one?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

A more modern example from the Science Museum Collection (license: free for non commercial use).

enjoyable-by-train.jpg
 
Last edited:

Pigeon

Member
Joined
8 Apr 2015
Messages
1,123
That chap on the right in the first poster reading the magazine, and the waiter looking at it over his shoulder... classic :D
 

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,585
Location
Surrey
That first poster is intriguing. Do we know what railway it depicts? The carriage window profiles look a bit strange for a British dining car, yet the antimacassar behind the passenger's stylish hat appears to read "LMS". Did the LMS really serve meals "sous cloche" I wonder? Although it would have kept food warm whilst the crew read the passengers magazines(!), it would have resulted in a load of extra silverware to maintain and store in the kitchen.

I fear aavm is being just a little optimistic about the style of catering available on SWR 701's. Sous cloche indeed! Someone might just stretch to providing a plastic lid for your coffee though! :D
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,367
That first poster is intriguing. Do we know what railway it depicts? The carriage window profiles look a bit strange for a British dining car, yet the antimacassar behind the passenger's stylish hat appears to read "LMS". Did the LMS really serve meals "sous cloche" I wonder? Although it would have kept food warm whilst the crew read the passengers magazines(!), it would have resulted in a load of extra silverware to maintain and store in the kitchen.

I fear aavm is being just a little optimistic about the style of catering available on SWR 701's. Sous cloche indeed! Someone might just stretch to providing a plastic lid for your coffee though! :D
I recall it's an LNER poster - and the 1st 2 letters look like LN.. to me (Link below clarifies LMS)

'sous cloche' - does this mean the lady is wearing a hat whilst dining? I believe this is / was acceptable to do for ladies, although not gents.

The stewards gaze could easily be directed to someone in the seats behind the passenger reading. He seems to be serving the coffee at the stage depicted.
 
Last edited:

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,585
Location
Surrey
I recall it's an LNER poster - and the 1st 2 letters look like LN.. to me.

'sous cloche' - does this mean the lady is wearing a hat whilst dining? I believe this is / was acceptable to do for ladies, although not gents.

The stewards gaze could easily be directed to someone in the seats behind the passenger reading. He seems to be serving the coffee at the stage depicted.
Apologies for any confusion. The cloche refers not to the lady's hat, but the silver cover over the food being served.

Exactly what stage meal service has reached is clearly subject to artistic licence. As you say there is coffee about, but the steward appears to be carrying a main course. The magazine reading passenger appears not to be dining at all. All very relaxed and delightful though - which was no doubt the message which the poster was intended to convey.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,367
Apologies for any confusion. The cloche refers not to the lady's hat, but the silver cover over the food being served.

Exactly what stage meal service has reached is clearly subject to artistic licence. As you say there is coffee about, but the steward appears to be carrying a main course. The magazine reading passenger appears not to be dining at all. All very relaxed and delightful though - which was no doubt the message which the poster was intended to convey.
Thanks - sorry - I can't see a silver cover for food in the image, am I missing something? (only cups on the stewards tray, plus what looks to me like the 'arc' of the upper wing of the seat behind, intersected by the stewards tray in front of it).

I had a look for the original poster image on the SSPL but can't seem to locate it, although the OP obviously found it.
 

aavm

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2018
Messages
152
Location
London
The NRM/Science Museum page for the "restaurant car" poster is here :
https://collection.sciencemuseumgro...rant-car-painting-oil-painting-poster-artwork
Its for the LMS, from ~ 1935.

Found another website for "Art UK" which has "public" art. It has the Science Museum collection, and a few others (e.g. local museums) :
https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/view_as/grid/search/2024--keyword:railway-poster

Lots of the NRM/Science Museum images are poor / seem faded, either poorly digitised, or the source poster was already faded.

There are **lots** more railway posters for sale on ebay/amazon.

Its a shame more of this great art isn't more freely available as I suspect the copyright belongs to a successor of BR.

journey-really-necessary.jpg
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,367
The NRM/Science Museum page for the "restaurant car" poster is here :
https://collection.sciencemuseumgro...rant-car-painting-oil-painting-poster-artwork
Its for the LMS, from ~ 1935.

Found another website for "Art UK" which has "public" art. It has the Science Museum collection, and a few others (e.g. local museums) :
https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/view_as/grid/search/2024--keyword:railway-poster

Lots of the NRM/Science Museum images are poor / seem faded, either poorly digitised, or the source poster was already faded.

There are **lots** more railway posters for sale on ebay/amazon.

Its a shame more of this great art isn't more freely available as I suspect the copyright belongs to a successor of BR.

View attachment 151281
Thanks for the link clarifying the poster's LMS origins. I was hoping for a pic with the poster text etc - but the link reveals this is the original artwork for the image, which is interesting to see along with the museum text.

It's likely that when BR was dissolved (or at some point before then) they handed their vast archive image collections to NRM (which is the S&SPL connection) as it would not have been envisaged that a privatised successor to BR was likely to want to manage them, or the dept for transport want to manage it.

When I have donated material from my workplace to archives the default expectation is that you hand over copyright to the archive concerned (suspect their would be exemptions to this in certain circs but that has never applied to any documents or images I have donated on behalf of my workplace). I suspect that this means if they can raise some funds from an image it helps defray the cost of archive storage, cataloguing, digitation etc etc.
 

Ken H

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2018
Messages
6,718
Location
N Yorks
Look at https://search.creativecommons.org/ its a list of search engines that can find media
OP - You dont say if you need to publish them. Both Creative Commons and Wiki have media you can use under licence for free, providing you credit the copyright owner.

Wyback Machine web archive may be worth a look.
 

aavm

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2018
Messages
152
Location
London
Thanks for the link clarifying the poster's LMS origins. I was hoping for a pic with the poster text etc - but the link reveals this is the original artwork for the image, which is interesting to see along with the museum text.
Of course, that's why there's no text, its the actual artwork, not the poster.
 

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,585
Location
Surrey
Thanks - sorry - I can't see a silver cover for food in the image, am I missing something? (only cups on the stewards tray, plus what looks to me like the 'arc' of the upper wing of the seat behind, intersected by the stewards tray in front of it).

I had a look for the original poster image on the SSPL but can't seem to locate it, although the OP obviously found it.
Ooops! Apologies to all. Now I have looked again at the artwork on a decent screen I see I was wholly mistaken about what the steward is carrying. Coffee cups it certainly is. Red herring is off the menu - I think I should order a portion of humble pie!
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,367
Ooops! Apologies to all. Now I have looked again at the artwork on a decent screen I see I was wholly mistaken about what the steward is carrying. Coffee cups it certainly is. Red herring is off the menu - I think I should order a portion of humble pie!
You are right about artistic licence tho - with coffee being served, the lady smoking, and cutlery removed from the seated passengers places I suspect this is a post mealtime moment depicted.
 

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,585
Location
Surrey
You are right about artistic licence tho - with coffee being served, the lady smoking, and cutlery removed from the seated passengers places I suspect this is a post mealtime moment depicted.
Indeed. I wonder what the hefty measure of green liquor is in the magazine reader's glass. Surely not absinthe on the LMS?!
 

Bevan Price

Established Member
Joined
22 Apr 2010
Messages
8,351
The coach interior has some resemblances to the interior of Fowler era LMSR coaches, but an artist's impression, rather than an exact copy.
 

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,712
Location
Hope Valley
The coach interior has some resemblances to the interior of Fowler era LMSR coaches, but an artist's impression, rather than an exact copy.
The 'split window' definitely gives an early date. Almost all 'open' dining saloons were built with single windows aligned with the tables. Volume II of LMS Standard Coaching Stock by David Jenkinson and Bob Essery (OPC 1994) is your friend.
 

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,585
Location
Surrey
The two windows being different sizes look a bit strange. Is it possible that one opened and the other was fixed? A smaller window might suggest a door, but presumably access would have been through vestibles and not directly into the side of the dining saloon.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top