• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway job V 'Normal' job

Status
Not open for further replies.

muz379

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2014
Messages
2,515
I used to work with a bloke that marked his future 'sick' days in his diary! :lol:

These were carefully chosen so he didnt break any of the companies policies on sickness.

I thought everyone on the railway did that :lol:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
I used to work with a bloke that marked his future 'sick' days in his diary! :lol:

These were carefully chosen so he didnt break any of the companies policies on sickness.

I have one or two members who seem top always go sick around certain bank holidays in the year - either before during or after depending on when it falls on their roster. The one weekend they have off a year guaranteed :lol:
 

red2005

Member
Joined
9 May 2009
Messages
844
Location
north ish
with the way the TOC'S use the " back to work system" after a period of sickness I think a lot of employees see it as if you are having a day off you may as well have the week! lol......not me personally but I know staff that do adopt this policy lol
 
Last edited:

notadriver

Established Member
Joined
1 Oct 2010
Messages
3,737
Despite what many commuters think I reckon a lot of that is down to the fact that train crew actually try very hard to keep trains running. And don't like to think they are letting people down. OK there will always be a few "bad apples" but in the main I think that is at the forefront of most train crews mind.

This is particularly obvious in times of really bad winter weather when often its only trains that keep running and the train crew go to great lengths to get in to work. Unlike many others that just have a snow day


And the fact of the matter is - employees who have been in the company for over a year will get paid if they go off sick from day 1 - so there is no incentive - if that's the right word, to come in. Contrast that with other industries who won't pay sick pay for the first few days.
 

ItchyRsole

Member
Joined
15 Mar 2011
Messages
405
35 hours a week. 7 hour shifts, can knock off 30 mins before end of time, 75% off national rail & Oyster for me & my family, regular money, overtime whenever you want it I really can't knock it.

It's hard enough getting A jib these days never mind one with some perks. If you can get a job on the railway pounce on it.

They used to say a job for life, privatization scared people a bit but I still think it's very much a job for life as long as you tow the line. The railway is a booming business & will always be there. Come & join us if you haven't already! :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top