HertiageFan
Member
Does anyone know if theres any headboards for sale. I am considering buying one but I want to get one that is preferably cast iron and not custom made.
Not sure I understand the custom made comment. Headboards by definition are custom made!Does anyone know if theres any headboards for sale. I am considering buying one but I want to get one that is preferably cast iron and not custom made.
Such things are generally cast alloy. Many of the more famous names pass through railwayana auctions from time to time.Does anyone know if theres any headboards for sale. I am considering buying one but I want to get one that is preferably cast iron and not custom made.
Here are the headboards sold at Great Western Railwayana Auctions (GWRA) in recent years (other auction houses are available).Does anyone know if theres any headboards for sale. I am considering buying one but I want to get one that is preferably cast iron and not custom made.
As railway travel became more and more competitive in the 1930s, companies vied for prestige and started to name some of their crack expresses. Not to be confused with naming locomotives, the trains themselves carried boards on the carriages with the train name. Later and predominantly in British Railways days, headboards were introduced and were affixed to the front of the locomotive when coupled to the train so that passengers waiting on platforms could easily identify these prestigious services.