• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway Freebie Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrock1976

Established Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
4,450
Location
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
My notable freebie in recent years was a free of charge First Class return from Virgin West Coast.

I received the email during January 2008 as a result of the engineering works fiasco at Rugby during the festive period of 2007. I had booked a Standard Class Advance from Birmingham NS to London a few months previous, which was lees than £10 at the time.

My free First Class return (technically Advance Singles, as you could only use it on the booked train) was redeemed for a Glasgow - London trip for one of my meetings there. On the southbound journey, I had 2 lots of breakfast - the first after departing Glasgow, with the second after departing Preston. The evening meal I had 2 servings either side of Preston on the northbound journey. I cannot remember if I was offered any "liquid lunches" or not.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philthetube

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2016
Messages
4,187
I get a free ride from Harrow on the Hill to Gt. Missenden and return every Saturday.

No facilities to buy a Northbound ticket and no office open on the south and as a priv holder no option to pay by machine.
 

sciisfun

Member
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
208
Location
south west
My bests must be:
A massive box of wessex promotional goods, posters and timetables, and such, as well as mouse mats (who remembers those XD)
Multiple free first class upgrades at busy times with XC and GWR for looking the part
Preferential service in first class (including three hot breakfast wraps on a journey lasting just over an hour with XC) again, for looking 'the part', full suit, mac ect
and although it doesn't really count, my great uncle's BR driver hat
 

Thebaz

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2016
Messages
496
Location
Purley
When I was 16 (1994) I did work experience in the Network SouthCentral timetabling department. As part of my experience I got a cab ride on a weedkilling train between Redhill and Tonbridge and back to East Croydon. I doubt this would happen now.

I was also told I was being given some 'homework' one evening. This turned out to be choosing my route for be a free pass to anywhere on the rail network for any time of my choosing! IIRC My dad and I went Kings X - Leeds - Settle & Carlisle - stayed overnight in Carlisle then Carlisle - Newcastle - Donny - Sheffield - St Pancras. I really wanted to go to the far north but my dad wasn't that keen a traveller!
 

KingDaveRa

Member
Joined
15 Mar 2016
Messages
164
Location
Buckinghamshire
I got £1000 from Chiltern Railways...

Yes really! Idly browsing Twitter some time ago, (right in the early days, early 2010) and saw a link saying they were running a survey about their service, and there was a draw for winning £1000. Randomly got an email a few weeks later saying I'd won.

I went down to Aylesbury station and did some photos with them waving a wad of 20s in front of the station sign.

So yeah, as freebies go, that was a good one. :D
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,481
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
Until about 15 years ago, there was a little-known reciprocal agreement between London Transport (as was) and Commonwealth country transport networks for free travel. My wife and I did the trans-Canadian rail journey from Halifax to Vancouver, including sleepers (with several stopovers), first class..for nothing, in 1999. C$6,600 equivalent.

A colleague of mine had done a similar journey around the same time but had not been aware of the perk and paid his way!

What I could never fathom was what wonderful benefits the Canadians might expect from us - free travel to Chesham?!
 

cuccir

Established Member
Joined
18 Nov 2009
Messages
3,695
I think the last two posts have certainly topped the rest for value!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top