• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railway books discussion

Sir Felix Pole

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
2,211
Location
Wilmslow
For me -- most, I rate as good; a few, less so. I find O.S. Nock's volume in the series, on Austria: frankly, awful; my greatest beef with it, is his almost total ignoring of the (conventional, non-rack) narrow gauge, for which Austria has always been reckoned a paradise. Admittedly, I'm a self-confessed "narrow-gauge freak"; Nock was presumably immune to n/g charms -- but the purpose of the series was, in my view: to give, broadly, something for as wide as possible a spectrum of railway-enthusiasm. Nock struck me in this one, as repellently pleased with himself and "up-himself" -- "the stuff which interests me, is worthwhile; that which doesn't...".

Agree to a considerable extent, about Vallance's Norway / Sweden book. In same, the author comes across as very non-technically-minded -- even I, clueless about most of the technical side of the hobby, get annoyed by his seeming so short on railway / rail equipment detail; and the apparent over-heavy focus on scenic beauties, and human interaction in course of his travels. I get especially irritated by his several pages of "melodrama" about leaving his razor behind in the hotel; and his "cliff-hanger" about whether he might get it back (rail staff, appealed-to, put the thing on an overnight train, so that he gets reunited with it the following morning). Appreciated, that this tale is in part: to point up the overall kindness and helpfulness of Scandinavians in general, and the countries' rail workers in particular; but, dear Lord, this was 1963 in western Europe -- just buy another wretched razor, you twit...

I've seen it suggested that the Trevor Rowe Yugoslavia book was "stillborn", largely because when it was in its early stages, the 1968 Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia to bring that country back into line, happened; with a knock-on effect that those governing Yugoslavia were terrified that their country "would be next": with Yugoslav "spy-paranoia" about railway enthusiasts, particularly the photographing kind -- already a problem -- consequently going "through the roof", and that condition remaining. With the series having already proved to sell less well, than had been hoped; the unfortunate timing as above, is suspected to have prompted D & C to pull the plug on the Yugoslavia book. As you indicate -- a pity !
D. Trevor Rowe did do a 'Railway Holiday' volume on Spain (published 1966), when there was still some steam on the main-line and some surviving narrow-gauge outwith the northern coast. As someone who loves Spain it is a fascinating account, although he is still a bit lovelorn for a former Spanish girlfriend whom he mentions several times.

Vallance's book on Norway / Sweden did inspire me to first visit many years ago, so there is that, but yes his 'travelogue' style is a bit wearing. Yes, I I remember the razor 'drama' - even in 1963 is wasn't an expensive item. Nonetheless, it is an interesting account of times past - steamer from Tilbury to Gothenburg, boat train at the quay - all long gone.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nanstallon

Member
Joined
18 Dec 2015
Messages
1,063
Agreed these were very interesting, the best (in my opinion) being John Price's Bavaria: entertaining and informative. Only the Norway & Sweden volume became a bit tiresome for me.

I think I have the full set (of 9), although the 10th volume (Yugoslavia, D.Trevor Rowe) does not seem to have been published. Now that would have been good!
I liked the Norway and Sweden book (to be fair to Vallance, razors may have been expensive in Scandinavia, even then notoriously hard on the British pocket!), but best of all was (to me) the France book by Behrend - very atmospheric of the early 1960s. Winkworth's book on Portugal and Northern Spain comes a close second.
 
Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
D. Trevor Rowe did do a 'Railway Holiday' volume on Spain (published 1966), when there was still some steam on the main-line and some surviving narrow-gauge outwith the northern coast. As someone who loves Spain it is a fascinating account, although he is still a bit lovelorn for a former Spanish girlfriend whom he mentions several times.
D.T.R.'s Railway Holiday in Spain, I find wonderful stuff. As you say -- on RENFE in 1965, the year of his visit, motive power was in transition: lots of steam of various types still active; but dieselisation and electrification "on the march" in a big way. (I feel sad on his behalf, that his journey from Valencia to Tarragona happened to be, that day, diesel-hauled; instead of the usual, and hoped-for, Garratt.) Re narrow gauge: book tells of a spell of travel on a fine selection of the then extensive metre-gauge system broadly, a little to the south of Valencia -- content varied and marvellous; if I'm right, the Alicante -- Denia section of that system remains active to this day.

Yes, Trevor Rowe and his Spanish girlfriend from fairly extreme youth... said gentleman once gave a slide-show at a meeting of my university railway society in the late 1960s (much fascinating material; not a great deal from Spain, so far as I recall -- South America more to the fore). Not wishing to be catty; but my impression of D.T.R. was that he seemed a pleasant chap, but tubby and "homely" and not obviously scintillating -- his ever captivating a senorita, takes a bit of imagining. The uncharitable thought comes to mind, that the lass possibly had thoughts of escaping the poverty and stringencies of Spain under Franco in the 1950s, by maybe marrying an English guy and thus moving to a more enlightened part of the world; but it didn't work out -- perhaps I misjudge them both...

And of course, re the Railway Holiday series -- with Spain being a pretty huge country: series takes a modest second "bite" at it with its final book, D.W. Winkworth's Railway Holiday in Portugal -- which also includes a few days in the north-west of Spain, on which D.T.R. wasn't able to touch. Winkworth's travels were in 1967; by which time RENFE steam was finished in the far north-west: everything diesel -- I infer from the book that this wasn't a horrid shock to the author: the "score" was known, the scene there had plenty of interest even without steam working. I find Winkworth's book well-written and highly interesting, re Spain and Portugal both; but have seen it at least suggested that it didn't sell as well as hoped, even though its publication coincided with the end of BR steam. With this; and circumstances turning out unfortunately, to be unfavourable to a Yugoslavia book by D.T.R. -- D & C went no further with the series. They perhaps underestimated the strength of the feeling among the majority -- even if not an enormous one -- of British enthusiasts, to the effect that "the world stops at Dover"; no change to this sentiment, even with the end of "public" steam in Britain. The Railway Holiday series, a noble effort; but not one which made a spectacular number of "converts" !
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
I liked the Norway and Sweden book, but best of all was (to me) the France book by Behrend - very atmospheric of the early 1960s.
Behrend's "France" book -- as per my post upthread: greatly concur with you. Vallance on Norway and Sweden: IMO, in its way nice; but -- my opinions thereon, given a few posts back. (And Vallance, per the book, strikes me as essentially a nice person; as opposed to Nock and Kalla-Bishop, who come across to me anyway as arrogant, toplofty so-and-so's.) I know I'm hard to please books-wise: but my feelings on the series are -- Nock on Austria: mostly, a dead loss; K-B on Italy: much interest and worthwhile stuff, but much weirdness of a less-than-pleasant kind; Vallance on Scandinavia: my feelings, set out above. All the others, for me -- basically, excellent. (Behrend on Switzerland does little for me -- but that "isn't him, it's me" -- I find Switzerland and largely, its railways: "notwithstanding" -- fundamentally boring: never been there; in the unlikely event of that happening, would be open to possible change of heart.)
 

Sir Felix Pole

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
2,211
Location
Wilmslow
Behrend's "France" book -- as per my post upthread: greatly concur with you. Vallance on Norway and Sweden: IMO, in its way nice; but -- my opinions thereon, given a few posts back. (And Vallance, per the book, strikes me as essentially a nice person; as opposed to Nock and Kalla-Bishop, who come across to me anyway as arrogant, toplofty so-and-so's.) I know I'm hard to please books-wise: but my feelings on the series are -- Nock on Austria: mostly, a dead loss; K-B on Italy: much interest and worthwhile stuff, but much weirdness of a less-than-pleasant kind; Vallance on Scandinavia: my feelings, set out above. All the others, for me -- basically, excellent. (Behrend on Switzerland does little for me -- but that "isn't him, it's me" -- I find Switzerland and largely, its railways: "notwithstanding" -- fundamentally boring: never been there; in the unlikely event of that happening, would be open to possible change of heart.)
Vallance also published (also D & C) a book on the Highland Railway, which to be fair is a bit more 'learned' and good on the history but his grasp of technical details of locos etc. is wanting. The other 'Railway Holiday' book is W.J.K. Davies's 'Northern Germany' - I don't have a copy but did get it out of the library years ago. I seem to remember I didn't finish it - it seemed to be mostly about rather boring lines on Lüneburg Heath!

D. Trevor Rowe did publish a book on the 'Railways of South America' (a huge topic admittedly) much later in life but it is a very poor effort - an Ossie Nock type picture book! I believe he worked in the airline industry so was able to get 'priv' rates to visit.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
The other 'Railway Holiday' book is W.J.K. Davies's 'Northern Germany' - I don't have a copy but did get it out of the library years ago. I seem to remember I didn't finish it - it seemed to be mostly about rather boring lines on Lüneburg Heath!
If one loves the hill-and-mountain side of things: the north of Germany is, scenically, pretty humdrum; however, Davies's R.H. in Northern Germany is right up my street -- with my having a passion for quaint-and-quirky rural light railways, and the narrow gauge (Kalla-Bishop and I are in this, polar opposites !). With my preference thus, I enjoyed this volume in the series, more than I did Price's companion volume on southern Germany -- excellent and interest-packed IMO, though that one also is.

Am aware that the Railway Holiday series is one of a number of subjects on which I can bore for Britain -- but: there are (had things turned out a bit differently, matters might have been otherwise) several parts of non-Communist Europe which I feel might have respectively supported books in the series; but it didn't happen. I'd think that D & C would at least have considered, as a companion to Vallance's tome: one about southern Scandinavia (Denmark, and the south of Sweden). Feel that W.J.K. Davies would have been a "natural" as author of this one: he being the light-railway-and-rail-curiosities guy par excellence; and with Denmark's profusion of country branches and private railways (a modicum of the latter, still in "private" action today -- there were far more in the 1960s) -- and Sweden's gauge-variety and sundry oddities.
 
Last edited:

Sir Felix Pole

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
2,211
Location
Wilmslow
If one loves the hill-and-mountain side of things: the north of Germany is, scenically, pretty humdrum; however, Davies's R.H. in Northern Germany is right up my street -- with my having a passion for quaint-and-quirky rural light railways, and the narrow gauge (Kalla-Bishop and I are in this, polar opposites !). With my preference thus, I enjoyed this volume in the series, more than I did Price's companion volume on southern Germany -- excellent and interest-packed IMO, though that one also is.

Ah, O.K. I should source a copy from somewhere to complete the set - I have all the others - and revise my opinion. Dredging the memory banks I think it had a piece on the metre-gauge lines on Sylt near the Danish border - I had the pleasure of a bike ride on part of the trackbed some years ago.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Ah, O.K. I should source a copy from somewhere to complete the set - I have all the others - and revise my opinion. Dredging the memory banks I think it had a piece on the metre-gauge lines on Sylt near the Danish border - I had the pleasure of a bike ride on part of the trackbed some years ago.
Indeed so -- he recounts a marvellous day-trip to Sylt: covering its splendidly eccentric m/g line, running the full length of the island. His tour was in 1964; very sadly, the island's metre-gauge was abandoned some five or six years later. I also found highly interesting, his venturing to some of Germany's Frisian Islands; several of which had -- a couple still have, I think, in service "in some sort" today -- a variety of narrow-gauge lines. There seem to have been at the time of Davies's tour, five such with "active rail"; he managed to "bag" three. This would appear to be not bad going -- one gathers that reaching the islands isn't altogether straightforward or easy, owing to the vagaries of tides, and thus, of ferry schedules. If I have things rightly: Bryan Morgan, travelling about a decade earlier for The End Of The Line material -- was because of this factor, totally thwarted re the Frisians. (He didn't make it to Sylt either -- one has the impression that he was keener on islands in theory, than in practice.)
 
Last edited:

izvor

Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
596
Location
on the SER
Am aware that the Railway Holiday series is one of a number of subjects on which I can bore for Britain -- but: there are (had things turned out a bit differently, matters might have been otherwise) several parts of non-Communist Europe which I feel might have respectively supported books in the series; but it didn't happen. I'd think that D & C would at least have considered, as a companion to Vallance's tome: one about southern Scandinavia (Denmark, and the south of Sweden). Feel that W.J.K. Davies would have been a "natural" as author of this one: he being the light-railway-and-rail-curiosities guy par excellence; and with Denmark's profusion of country branches and private railways (a modicum of the latter, still in "private" action today -- there were far more in the 1960s) -- and Sweden's gauge-variety and sundry oddities.
Ah yes, that would have been wonderful.
 

shredder1

Established Member
Joined
23 Nov 2016
Messages
3,141
Location
North Manchester
I read D.W. Winkworth`s Portugal in the series, since I was travelling around Portugal last month. I enjoyed reading about the changes, especially around the Porto Metro lines, of how they used to be as railways.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
At risk of branding self as an annoying curmudgeon / nitpicker / bore; but -- partly to do something toward keeping this thread going -- bit of an embarrassing confession, concerning a book lately acquired by me very cheaply, at the second-hand-book-sales section of an English preserved railway's venue (which purveys in the line of railway books, much superb material; but also some less so). Author's name should have been a warning to me; but will confess to having forgotten said name, re what should have been a "once bitten..." situation. The offender here, is one John Scott-Morgan. I find that I had already posted concerning him, some years ago, on this sub-forum -- subject, another book, this one co-authored by him. I being a computer-fool: any attempt by me at linking to thread concerned, would be guaranteed not to work -- so: thread is titled Lately got: great pictures, shame about the words -- OP, by myself, 12/9/2019. Book concerned here, is The Light Railways of Britain and Ireland: my title basically "says it" -- book fascinatingly illustrated, but riddled with -- often highly crass -- mis-spellings and misinformation.

The tome with which I lately lumbered myself, is The Light Railway Era, 1896 -- 1996; this one, by John Scott-Morgan alone: published 1997. Rather as with the work cited above (assuming one to be, like myself, basically a fan of light railways in their golden years and after): many photographs of considerable interest; but the text -- oh, dear. Mis-spellings and misinformation, come once again to rule here. Perhaps I'm a -- whatever; but I strongly feel that anyone writing what they see as any kind of non-fiction: should exert themselves to the maximum possible, to get things right.

This book by Scott-Morgan is divided approximately into two halves. The first half is about Colonel Stephens and his wide-ranging "light railways and associated / other doings". The second half, about non-Stephens light railways in England and Wales, plus the Channel Islands (in the nature of things, 95%-plus of the material is about standard-gauge lines). While a lover of the whole crazy Colonel Stephens scene; I tend to feel that it has already received pretty much saturation coverage -- so having bought the book, I turned first, to its second half. Found this, as with mentioned-in-post's-first-paragraph tome: full of mis-spellings, and various, at best, sloppy and ambiguous informing re line's histories, and clumsy / redundant phrasing.

Going on "in reverse", to coverage of the Colonel Stephens lines: in the section on the East Kent Railway, I found a reference concerning World War I, to [sic] "the Armistice in August 1918". WHAT THE ...??!!! That was it, for me -- I cast the book aside, and have read no more. Mr. Scott-Morgan is likely a lovely chap "in his private and personal capacity"; but I have to feel that as a non-fiction writer -- he is somewhat intellectually challenged, and / or almost criminally slapdash and "don't-care" -- and I'll never touch anything published under his name, which might come along in the future. The book goes to the charity shop, at the earliest opportunity; I'll recommend that they offer it for sale, at a maximum of 10p.
Quoting self above, from most of a year ago -- owing to a case come upon today, of "It's that man again !" (cue alarm and terror). A book review in my just-received Summer copy of the Colonel Stephens Society's quarterly journal -- John Scott-Morgan, scourge of the railway-accuracy pedant, is hitting the light-rail trail again. His new atrocity book, just out: titled The Light Railway -- A journey along the narrow & bucolic. A tome with which I will, for sure, have no truck. (Per the review, it deals -- largely pictorially, "spread thinly but evenly" -- with standard-gauge light, and narrow-gauge, railways, throughout our archipelago including the Channel Islands.)

While aware of a degree of bias on my part, against this author -- I nonetheless couldn't help but find germs of getting-things-wrong, even in the review; a case of transference of the Scott-Morgan virus, to the reviewer? Mention is made of the North Sunderland's station at "Sea Houses" -- everyone knows that in both railway and civilian contexts, the place is Seahouses (one word). And -- list of Colonel Stephens-related outfits -- the Burry Port and Gwendreath [sic] Valley -- it's "Gwendraeth", you fool (in the review text, as opposed to the mentioned list, said valley name occurs again, and is correctly spelt).

I am possibly a bit cruel to this particular chap; but am something of a stickler for those who produce non-fiction works of whatever kind, doing their damnedest to achieve accuracy in everything which they write -- and get the impression that as regards that matter: Mr. S-M is, at best, more than a little casual.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Quoting self above, from most of a year ago -- owing to a case come upon today, of "It's that man again !" (cue alarm and terror). A book review in my just-received Summer copy of the Colonel Stephens Society's quarterly journal -- John Scott-Morgan, scourge of the railway-accuracy pedant, is hitting the light-rail trail again. His new atrocity book, just out: titled The Light Railway -- A journey along the narrow & bucolic. A tome with which I will, for sure, have no truck. (Per the review, it deals -- largely pictorially, "spread thinly but evenly" -- with standard-gauge light, and narrow-gauge, railways, throughout our archipelago including the Channel Islands.)

While aware of a degree of bias on my part, against this author -- I nonetheless couldn't help but find germs of getting-things-wrong, even in the review; a case of transference of the Scott-Morgan virus, to the reviewer? Mention is made of the North Sunderland's station at "Sea Houses" -- everyone knows that in both railway and civilian contexts, the place is Seahouses (one word). And -- list of Colonel Stephens-related outfits -- the Burry Port and Gwendreath [sic] Valley -- it's "Gwendraeth", you fool (in the review text, as opposed to the mentioned list, said valley name occurs again, and is correctly spelt).

I am possibly a bit cruel to this particular chap; but am something of a stickler for those who produce non-fiction works of whatever kind, doing their damnedest to achieve accuracy in everything which they write -- and get the impression that as regards that matter: Mr. S-M is, at best, more than a little casual.

The errors may not be his fault: he may have submitted everything correctly, but the errors have crept in during the production process. Usually the author will get an opportunity to proofread (something that is d*mn difficult for your own work), but it does happen that the corrections never get incorporated in the text, or they get put in and then someone else ‘corrects‘ them out again, although this is less common as so few books are professionally proofread nowadays, or new ones appear at a late stage. Do not, in general, blame the author who is just as frustrated as you are. Some publishers are worse than others, including some well-known names. The days of the amiable publisher who saw each book as something to be treasured and nurtured have gone: it is turn it over and get it in the shops as quickly as possible
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
The errors may not be his fault: he may have submitted everything correctly, but the errors have crept in during the production process. Usually the author will get an opportunity to proofread (something that is d*mn difficult for your own work), but it does happen that the corrections never get incorporated in the text, or they get put in and then someone else ‘corrects‘ them out again, although this is less common as so few books are professionally proofread nowadays, or new ones appear at a late stage. Do not, in general, blame the author who is just as frustrated as you are. Some publishers are worse than others, including some well-known names. The days of the amiable publisher who saw each book as something to be treasured and nurtured have gone: it is turn it over and get it in the shops as quickly as possible
Thank you -- you put things into perspective -- but it would appear to me to be: that in the main, even "in these degenerate days", non-fiction books manage to come out not too badly ****ed-up. Still seems to me, that while Scott-Morgan no doubt loves his subject; words-wise, getting things right is not uppermost on his list. Perhaps I wrong the guy -- in which case, my apologies to him.
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,685
Location
Solihull
These days, doesn't the publisher's production person just copy and paste what the author has provided into InDesign?
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
These days, doesn't the publisher's production person just copy and paste what the author has provided into InDesign?

I have been out of it for over five years, which is a long time nowadays. However, even then one of the problems was publishers who were more concerned with the design and look of the book, and not just the cover, rather than the quality and accuracy of the content. They would alter, delete, add to or otherwise change text so that it looked better, but not all were sufficiently careful or conscientious enough to ensure that errors did not get in.

One acquaintance gave up dealing with a (non-railway) publisher as the sub-editor did not know her grammar and couldn’t spell: a well written paragraph would suddenly dissolve into a mess if she had decided to alter the text. Unfortunately, it was a tiny company and she was the owner’s daughter, so he stopped dealing with them. It is a pretty major decision for a hand-to-mouth freelancer to do that, but it was likely to damage his reputation. (I only did that once, but that was with a publisher who had a habit of claiming that an article hadn’t arrived by deadline so he wouldn’t take it. Then, what a surprise, a few months later an article on the same subject would appear under his own by-line.)
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,685
Location
Solihull
Interesting, in the case of my books they've left the text alone, any mistakes in the finished book were mine. :lol:
 

birchesgreen

Established Member
Joined
18 Aug 2015
Messages
7,685
Location
Solihull
I should point out that i proof read material as part of my day job so my published work should have very few! :)

Anyway my second book on the railway stations of Warwickshire is apparently due out in April 2026, according to Amberley's website anyway, they haven't actually told me directly yet!
 

Bodiam

Member
Joined
8 Jul 2025
Messages
113
Location
Kent, UK
I've seen it suggested that the Trevor Rowe Yugoslavia book was "stillborn", largely because when it was in its early stages, the 1968 Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia to bring that country back into line, happened; with a knock-on effect that those governing Yugoslavia were terrified that their country "would be next": with Yugoslav "spy-paranoia" about railway enthusiasts, particularly the photographing kind -- already a problem -- consequently going "through the roof", and that condition remaining. With the series having already proved to sell less well, than had been hoped; the unfortunate timing as above, is suspected to have prompted D & C to pull the plug on the Yugoslavia book. As you indicate -- a pity !
That seems likely - I visited Yugoslavia in 1968 and 1975 using railways (including the Dubrovnik narrow-gauge line on both occasions). In 1968 people seemed fairly relaxed about photography, although it was only a few weeks after the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia. In 1975 there seemed more concern over security, and I had quite a protracted interview with the police at Capljina, during which I had the film removed from my camera.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
That seems likely - I visited Yugoslavia in 1968 and 1975 using railways (including the Dubrovnik narrow-gauge line on both occasions). In 1968 people seemed fairly relaxed about photography, although it was only a few weeks after the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia. In 1975 there seemed more concern over security, and I had quite a protracted interview with the police at Capljina, during which I had the film removed from my camera.
Interesting -- I'd has the impression that Yugoslavia (while more liberal in many ways, than the true Soviet-bloc countries) had been "photters' hell" from way back: which got a good deal worse as and from '68, for "reasons as cited". One takes it that these things depended on various factors, with chance playing a large part. And, to some extent (though as per your experience, not always) -- in Yugo. as in other photographically repressive countries, things in this respect were often easier on the narrow gauge -- which in the nature of things, even the "guardians of security" had difficulty taking all that seriously. My only experience of Yugoslav n/g in action: was the 760mm gauge Lajkovac -- Mladenovac line, a little way south of Belgrade, in 1970: where we found everything totally free-and-easy, photography no problem; and the staff were unusually cordial and friendly -- we suffered no gross ill-treatment in Serbia, but got the feeling that mostly, folk there were either suspicious of us; or were just not interested in us, and wished that we'd go away ! That line was then, clearly in its twilight years -- it didn't last very much longer -- maybe the feeling was, that it really didn't matter much any more...
 

nanstallon

Member
Joined
18 Dec 2015
Messages
1,063
I travelled around Yugoslavia in 1972 and 1973, in search of steam. Aware of the country's reputation re: railway photography I was cautious and always asked for permission except for a couple of out of train window shots - never refused and no hostility either on standard or narrow gauge.

Moving on, I can recommend Tom Chesshyre as an author - clearly not a fanatic of any kind, but he does his research into railway history, and has a very readable style. 'Slow Trains Around Britain' is a good travelogue. Interestingly, following our discussion about Yugoslavia, he was given hassle by a pair of big-headed railway employees at Liverpool Lime Street while photographing the station roof as described in Simon Jenkins' book. Perhaps the some of the British should check their petty authoritarian attitudes!
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
I travelled around Yugoslavia in 1972 and 1973, in search of steam. Aware of the country's reputation re: railway photography I was cautious and always asked for permission except for a couple of out of train window shots - never refused and no hostility either on standard or narrow gauge.
My 1970 experiences there, were largely negative photographically -- nobody was horrible, just unyielding (save for, as above, the Lajkovac n/g); even with a so-called official photographic permit (lengthy, in Serbo-Croat, no translation furnished to us) from the JZ headquarters in Belgrade. On my only other visit to Yugo., twelve years later (no official "per", gettable -- "long, boring story"): in Croatia, where little steam remained, no problem photting-wise; in Serbia, where there was significantly more, still definitely problems. One does feel -- different folk, different experiences, big part played by random chance.
Moving on, I can recommend Tom Chesshyre as an author - clearly not a fanatic of any kind, but he does his research into railway history, and has a very readable style. 'Slow Trains Around Britain' is a good travelogue. Interestingly, following our discussion about Yugoslavia, he was given hassle by a pair of big-headed railway employees at Liverpool Lime Street while photographing the station roof as described in Simon Jenkins' book. Perhaps the some of the British should check their petty authoritarian attitudes!
Tom Chesshyre, a name new to me; Simon Jenkins similarly (they've probably both been mentioned upthread, and I'm overdue for a ticket to the dementia care home :smile:) -- thank you -- see giving try(s) accordingly. Re your man's Liverpool experience -- a touch of Matthew 7, 3 -- 5?
 

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Joined
25 Mar 2010
Messages
1,778
Location
Newport, South Wales
Moving on, I can recommend Tom Chesshyre as an author - clearly not a fanatic of any kind, but he does his research into railway history, and has a very readable style. 'Slow Trains Around Britain' is a good travelogue.
I've just borrowed this from the library, and am looking forward to reading it - a review will follow!
 

chrisp37

Member
Joined
2 Sep 2022
Messages
190
Location
London
I recently finished "Final Destination: Riding Britain's Trains to the End of the Line" by Nige Tassell. I can thoroughly recommend it. I'm now around 3/4 of the way through the aforementioned "Slow Trains Around Britain" which I'm also very much enjoying. Both books were published on the same day this year, which happens to be my birthday, so I took that as a sign that they were meant for me. Whilst "Slow Trains ..." is great, I have stumbled upon a couple of inaccuracies. The reference to there being "about a dozen trains in each direction" each day on the Heart of Wales line, for example, and the suggestion that Bude and Padstow are in North Devon!
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Received quite recently as a birthday present, a copy of the book The Great Railway Quiz -- compiled by Christopher Hughes (incidentally, deceased earlier this year): railway worker for most of his life, and long a prominent figure on the general "quiz" scene -- including winning of both "Mastermind" and "Brain of Britain" late last century / early this one. Book's date of publication, 1984.

Having this book is a rather humbling experience for me, bringing home the fact of my overall limited and none-too-broad, railway knowledge ! It is divided into six sections: British Steam Locomotives; British Railway Engineering; Diesel and Electric Locomotives and Railways; British Railway History; Foreign Railways; and Miscellany [this last, featuring both British and foreign matters, including some re fiction and the arts]. I am a non-technical sort -- was never even properly a "spotter" back in the day -- the emphasis of my enthusiasm is on the nostalgic / whimsical side: have not even tried the first three sections listed, knowing that I'd be hopeless at them. I find that my performance has been a lot less than stellar, re the other three sections. Respective numbers of questions in them, lie in the range between 130 and 140.

Have a feeling occasionally of being something of a "traitor to the motherland", in that I tend toward greater interest, and being better-informed, re railways abroad; as opposed to those of Great Britain. I did least badly on the "Foreign" section: got 42% of the questions right, answered 22% incorrectly, and had "no idea" re 36%. With the "Miscellany", it was 28% answered correctly, 5% wrong answers, and 67% "don't know". Section on the history of my own country's lines: 17% answered correctly, 12% answered incorrectly, 71% didn't-have-the-foggiest. (In the nature of history-related matters: there were a lot of questions in this section, involving dates -- an area of knowledge which fails to excite me much, and which I have no head for.) Overall result -- strong disinclination on my part, to go in for any railway quizzes concerning which there could be anything at all at stake !

I do seem to catch the late Mr. Hughes out in a small number of errors -- basically dates; of which even I know, in my estimation, a few. He asks the name of the last of the 2ft. gauge lines in the U.S. State of Maine, to close; answer given is, correctly, the Monson Railroad -- but he gives a closure date of December 1944. All the sources which I have, tell of traffic on this line ceasing in summer 1943, and its being dismantled during the winter of '43/'44. Brick dropped -- unless I suppose, just possibly, abandonment not officially ratified until Dec. 1944; and I've seen nothing anywhere to suggest this. And; he claims 1963 as the last year of regular steam operation on the state railways of Belgium. I was sure that it was 1966; and Googling fully confirmed this. Also, the question is put: "In which year did the 10.00am Scotch express from King's Cross acquire the name Flying Scotsman?" The year given in the "answers" section, is 1862. My understanding is that this express working first ran in 1862; the name Flying Scotsman was officially bestowed on it by the new LNER in 1924. There's some indication that the train was unofficially referred to as the "Flying Scotsman" pre-1924 -- argument possible for q and a being, thus, technically right: but if so, one feels that the question is framed in an awkward and ambiguous way. I have to wonder -- maybe a bit nastily -- whether Mr. H. commits other bloomers in the book, over matters about which I have no knowledge.
 
Last edited:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Joined
10 Nov 2015
Messages
5,708
Location
Hope Valley
@Calthrop isn’t the only one left floundering by The Great Railway Quiz! This despite me having won railway quizzes in the past. I take some consolation that what was more ‘common knowledge’ in 1984, e.g. about steam traction, is rather less so over 40 years later.

Having prepared and delivered (general) pub quizzes, trying to fill the shoes of a much-loved quizmaster, I consider that knowing your audience is a key skill in deciding the level and obscurity of your questions. This is reasonably straightforward with local pub mates but obviously impossible with a book for a wide and diverse audience.

It’s a bit like asking an Olympic Gold medalist to lead exercises at an obesity self-help group.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
@Calthrop isn’t the only one left floundering by The Great Railway Quiz! This despite me having won railway quizzes in the past. I take some consolation that what was more ‘common knowledge’ in 1984, e.g. about steam traction, is rather less so over 40 years later.

Having prepared and delivered (general) pub quizzes, trying to fill the shoes of a much-loved quizmaster, I consider that knowing your audience is a key skill in deciding the level and obscurity of your questions. This is reasonably straightforward with local pub mates but obviously impossible with a book for a wide and diverse audience.

It’s a bit like asking an Olympic Gold medalist to lead exercises at an obesity self-help group.
It's in the nature of things, I suppose: that it will be difficult if not impossible for quiz-setters, to pose questions which will not do a lot of flummoxing of some participants -- people's areas of expertise will differ a lot: in both kind, and extent. The church which I attend runs, in its "social" rather than "pastoral" capacity, a monthly quiz night -- content mostly secular. I participated for a few months; but found self baffled and of no use, as regards most of the material -- that tending to be heavily oriented toward stuff re which my interest / knowledge are minimal: celebrities / "acting-persons"; sport; popular music; TV; films; things in current news, both important and trivial (news-wise, I'm a confirmed "ostrich") -- there are actually things in life, railways aside, concerning which I have some acquaintance and knowledge :smile:, but they seemed to feature little in these monthly quizzes ! I really was not enjoying these occasions much; and have lately dropped out therefrom.
 

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2019
Messages
5,680
Location
The West Country
Received quite recently as a birthday present, a copy of the book The Great Railway Quiz -- compiled by Christopher Hughes (incidentally, deceased earlier this year): railway worker for most of his life, and long a prominent figure on the general "quiz" scene -- including winning of both "Mastermind" and "Brain of Britain" late last century / early this one. Book's date of publication, 1984.
Is it possible he just allowed his name to be used for the book whilst others composed the questions? He was quite famous at the time and no doubt the publisher may have thought that having his name on the book would sell more.
 

Woolos 22

Member
Joined
27 May 2022
Messages
148
Location
Newbridge
I have a signed copy for it. When the book was published he did a book launch in Lear book shop cardiff. I won the copy as he was unable to answer a question
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Is it possible he just allowed his name to be used for the book whilst others composed the questions? He was quite famous at the time and no doubt the publisher may have thought that having his name on the book would sell more.
Have re-read Christopher H.'s foreword to the book: largely "autobiographical" (interesting enough in its own right). However, quoting from his final paragraph: "Never having had any pretensions towards authorship, I was surprised and gratified to be approached by David & Charles with a view to compiling a quiz book on railways, which I have finally -- after several false starts and several gallons of midnight oil -- completed. The questions have been designed to stretch the memory and the reference library as much as possible..." . That notwithstanding: I'm with you in so far as to feel that there is very probably, some element of "poetic / artistic license" to the just-quoted. For C.H. to have known / researched solo (employed the while, in his "day job" as a London Underground driver, as he would have been in 1984) the full material of all 587 questions in the book -- over such a wide range of railway topics -- he would indeed have needed to be Superman :smile:.
 

Top