• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RailUK Tickets overcharging? (Update: this is not the case)

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,556
Location
Yorkshire
But it didn't ...
I've just tried it for a random journey and it did.

What day(s)/time(s) are you looking at?

It would be best if you posted this as a separate thread as I am unsure how this relates to Burton to Sutton Coldfield (which was issued correctly as multiple tickets as a through ticket was not valid for travel via Birmingham).

What we really need is the full itinerary (if a return journey, please provide it in both directions) along with the dates of travels, and also any relevant railcards etc.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,291
Location
Connah's Quay
However if you buy Burton to Lichfield Trent Valley you are asked do you want to travel via Birmingham? Going to Lichfield via Birmingham costs more than changing at Tamworth.
There are "not via Birmingham" tickets between Burton and Lichfield Trent Valley, but this doesn't mean the other ("any permitted") tickets let you travel that way. Having looked at one web site, I don't think they do.

Someone with was happy to travel via Lichfield in one direction would only need a Burton on Trent-Gravelly Hill ticket, as that is valid on either route.
 

Sniffingmoose

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2016
Messages
93
Location
Burton on Trent
Can't seem to do a screen shot at the moment. However I searched 11th January out after 09:30 and return after 18:15 to avoid the XC afternoon peak restriction. National Rail Enquiries gave Burton to Sutton Coldfield via Birmingham off peak day return £10 with a senior Railcard.

To help the original poster I find that catching the X38 Midland Classic bus that runs fast Burton to Lichfield and then you can use the Cross City line to Sutton Coldfield much more reliable nowadays due to the Crosscountry cancellations.
 

Cantab26

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2016
Messages
1,948
Can't seem to do a screen shot at the moment. However I searched 11th January out after 09:30 and return after 18:15 to avoid the XC afternoon peak restriction. National Rail Enquiries gave Burton to Sutton Coldfield via Birmingham off peak day return £10 with a senior Railcard.
I have been able to take screenshots and NRE does not offer itineraries via Birmingham for that fare on that day.

It even specifically flags up with a warning message about multiple tickets being required for some of the journeys presented!
 

Attachments

  • 80A12957-9373-46F8-B633-3629C9AF9F13.png
    80A12957-9373-46F8-B633-3629C9AF9F13.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • 2D03E638-7523-4F1C-9932-7D2A97D9D15E.png
    2D03E638-7523-4F1C-9932-7D2A97D9D15E.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 26

Sniffingmoose

Member
Joined
13 Feb 2016
Messages
93
Location
Burton on Trent
I have just tried again with National Rail Enquiries and it won't give a price via Birmingham even though it shows the times So I have been wrong all along. It's seems to be the same for all stations on the Cross City line north of Gravelly Hill. That is not good because the connections are poor via Lichfield and Tamworth going back to Burton in the evening. I am now wondering if the permitted route had changed at the last fare increase?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top