Good morning!
I'm looking for some advice regarding my current situation. I've received a notice of intended prosecution from Chiltern rail for a journey I took in July, where I mistakenly purchased a railcard ticket without a railcard. The ticket inspector pointed this out to me, and you can imagine the rest. I've looked through some similar threads on here and seen the general best practice is to write a letter apologising for this offence and ask for leniency.
I'd appreciate it if you would look over my letter and share any advice you may have, I'd really like to avoid this going to court.
Please see below my current draft of the letter
Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for granting me the opportunity to reply to your "Notice of intended prosecution" sent on the 4th of October 2024, with reference *REDACTED*, regarding an incident that occurred on Saturday 13th of July 2024.
On the 13th of July, I purchased a return ticket from Haddenham & Thame parkway to Oxford using the trainline app. I was aware that I did not possess a railcard as I rarely travel by train and did not renew the railcard I once had in 2020. I did not intend to use a railcard for this journey, however I purchased the ticket hastily and failed to notice the app had automatically applied my expired railcard to the journey, carelessly missing the opportunity to remove this option.
Upon boarding the train and presenting my ticket to the inspector, I was informed that I had purchased a railcard ticket without a valid railcard. I apologised to the inspector and cooperated with providing my personal information.
I would like to sincerely apologise for my carelessness and would never seek to evade paying the appropriate fare for my journey. To ensure this does not happen again I have removed my expired railcard from my app and will check every ticket purchase carefully to confirm I am paying the appropriate fare.
I understand the severity of this incident, as well as the costs. I have learnt an important lesson from this and would appreciate consideration of this very unfortunate and honest mistake.
I will cooperate fully with any further steps, and I would appreciate it if yourselves would consider settling this matter out of court. I am prepared to pay the appropriate fare and any administrative costs in dealing with the case.
Yours sincerely,
**END OF LETTER**
Please also see attached a copy of the letter.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially since the letter mentions they have discovered other occasions where the same may have occurred? I travel by train very rarely, and such cannot remember a time since my railcard expired that I have even used a train service.
I'm looking for some advice regarding my current situation. I've received a notice of intended prosecution from Chiltern rail for a journey I took in July, where I mistakenly purchased a railcard ticket without a railcard. The ticket inspector pointed this out to me, and you can imagine the rest. I've looked through some similar threads on here and seen the general best practice is to write a letter apologising for this offence and ask for leniency.
I'd appreciate it if you would look over my letter and share any advice you may have, I'd really like to avoid this going to court.
Please see below my current draft of the letter
Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for granting me the opportunity to reply to your "Notice of intended prosecution" sent on the 4th of October 2024, with reference *REDACTED*, regarding an incident that occurred on Saturday 13th of July 2024.
On the 13th of July, I purchased a return ticket from Haddenham & Thame parkway to Oxford using the trainline app. I was aware that I did not possess a railcard as I rarely travel by train and did not renew the railcard I once had in 2020. I did not intend to use a railcard for this journey, however I purchased the ticket hastily and failed to notice the app had automatically applied my expired railcard to the journey, carelessly missing the opportunity to remove this option.
Upon boarding the train and presenting my ticket to the inspector, I was informed that I had purchased a railcard ticket without a valid railcard. I apologised to the inspector and cooperated with providing my personal information.
I would like to sincerely apologise for my carelessness and would never seek to evade paying the appropriate fare for my journey. To ensure this does not happen again I have removed my expired railcard from my app and will check every ticket purchase carefully to confirm I am paying the appropriate fare.
I understand the severity of this incident, as well as the costs. I have learnt an important lesson from this and would appreciate consideration of this very unfortunate and honest mistake.
I will cooperate fully with any further steps, and I would appreciate it if yourselves would consider settling this matter out of court. I am prepared to pay the appropriate fare and any administrative costs in dealing with the case.
Yours sincerely,
**END OF LETTER**
Please also see attached a copy of the letter.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially since the letter mentions they have discovered other occasions where the same may have occurred? I travel by train very rarely, and such cannot remember a time since my railcard expired that I have even used a train service.