• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcard minimum fare on Travelcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyesbkz

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2010
Messages
615
Location
Chesterfield
Hi

Would the £12 minimum fare apply to a paper off-peak day travelcard when using my 16-25 railcard? (If I have a Zone 1-6 travelcard priced at 5.90, can I really not use it before 10am?)

Cheers
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David Goddard

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
1,515
Location
Ely
Yes it would. If the Travelcard is only £5.90 then the discount of £1.48 isn't really that much to lose sleep over. I mean you can barely buy a cup of tea with that these days (except in Wetherspoons)
You are lucky that this minimum fare only applies until 10am, AND you get two months of grace in the summer.
Those of us with Network cards have a £13 minimum fare all day on all working weekdays, and cant use ours at all until 10:00
 
Last edited:

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
Hi

Would the £12 minimum fare apply to a paper off-peak day travelcard when using my 16-25 railcard? (If I have a Zone 1-6 travelcard priced at 5.90, can I really not use it before 10am?)

Cheers

Yes it does. But, if you have your discount loaded on an Oyster card then you can start getting discounted singles and the off-peak cap at 0930. Plus the discounted cap varies depending on the zones, so 1-6 is £5.60, 1-4 is £5.10 and 1-2 is only £4.60.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yes it would. If the Travelcard is only £5.90 then the discount of £1.48 ...

The undiscounted travelcard is £8.90. Not quite sure what £1.48 is?
 

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,913
Location
0036
Yes, to get the £3 discount on a zone 1-6 off-peak day Travelcard with a 16-25 Railcard, you need to wait an extra 30 minutes from when it would otherwise become valid on weekdays between September and June inclusive.
 

alex17595

Member
Joined
15 Mar 2013
Messages
1,160
Location
Burton on Trent
Its seems very strange, I have one from Tuesday 28th may and it cost me £5.90. I brought this from the ticket clerk at 9:44 according to the ticket.


Should I have been charged £12?
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
You are fine buying it at 09:44 but you can't actually use it until 10am. Most clerks will warn you about this, and most TVMs will refuse to sell the ticket at that price until 10am
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Besides, you might want to pass through a barrier before 10am in order to be ready on the platform for a 10:00 departure :)
 

David Goddard

Established Member
Joined
8 Aug 2011
Messages
1,515
Location
Ely
The undiscounted travelcard is £8.90. Not quite sure what £1.48 is?

Sorry, I read the post to mean that the original (full price) travelcard was £5.90, therefore 1/3 off would be 1.48, (OK so I did a crude calculation and forgot that they go to the nearest 5p), not that £5.90 was the already discounted fare.
 

IanD

Established Member
Joined
18 Sep 2011
Messages
2,784
Location
Newport Pagnell
Besides, you might want to pass through a barrier before 10am in order to be ready on the platform for a 10:00 departure :)

You can't pass through the barriers before 9:30 to be on a platform for a 9:30 departure though. I think barriers should be programmed to let you through before 9:30 by the amount it would take the average person to get to the platform. :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top