• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcard check shifting from on-board to issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,883
Location
Cambridge
I wish, when using a TVM, you were required to scan a barcode or something on your railcard - or type in a code when booking online - or present the card to a clerk when booking at a ticket office - and then barriers and on-board staff would leave people alone.

I’m heartily tired of barriers rejecting railcard tickets as a precaution. It’s absolutely ridiculous. And as for the railcard checks on-board trains,
these are a nuisance as well particularly for those with the Railcard app which takes rather a while to load.

Doing this barcode scan/code application verifies if a valid Railcard is held, and then all other staff can take it as read that the railcard-discounted ticket is valid.

The only disadvantage is it would allow someone to use another person’s card unless buying from a ticket office, but realistically how often is this happening?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Why is it such an inconvenience, having to show your railcard on the train?

I'm sure you're familiar with the Ts & Cs of railcard use, such as these, taken directly from the 16-25 Railcard website:



2.8. You must carry your valid Railcard with you on your journey. When asked by rail staff, you must show a valid ticket and valid Railcard within its period of validity when you travel.

2.8.1. If you have a physical Railcard, it must be signed by you and should be legible so staff can read it, as further detailed in the NRCoT.

2.8.2 If you bought your physical Railcard at a rail station, you must carry your Railcard Photocard with you on your journey.

2.8.3. If you have a digital Railcard, you must be able to show it on a mobile device throughout your journey.



However I agree that barriers should not be rejecting tickets just because they have been bought using a railcard.
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,306
The only disadvantage is it would allow someone to use another person’s card unless buying from a ticket office, but realistically how often is this happening?
It also requires holding a valid railcard when you buy the ticket. Way back when railcards were launched this wasn't an issue in that tickets were generally bought at ticket offices, and so the card had to be shown to get the ticket, but over the last ten (twenty?) years as sales have moved on line it's become quite an issue.

For example, my next major rail journey will be at the end of January, but to get a decent priced advance I will want to buy my ticket now. Against which, I want to maximise the use of my railcard so I don't want to buy my railcard until just before I travel. If I have to get my railcard now, I will feel I am missing out on a month's use of it and I will be unhappy. Alternatively if I have to wait until it's almost time to travel and then can't get a cheap advance, I'll still be unhappy.

It might be possible to argue that requiring a railcard to be held when the ticket is bought is just going back to what was originally intended - but to do so wouldn't be popular.

If the problem is with trying to display one's ticket on an app and then finding one's railcard on a separate app, is the solution to have one app which will show both ticket and railcard - either at the same time, or in quick succession?
 

cactustwirly

Established Member
Joined
10 Apr 2013
Messages
8,424
Location
UK
I wish, when using a TVM, you were required to scan a barcode or something on your railcard - or type in a code when booking online - or present the card to a clerk when booking at a ticket office - and then barriers and on-board staff would leave people alone.

I’m heartily tired of barriers rejecting railcard tickets as a precaution. It’s absolutely ridiculous. And as for the railcard checks on-board trains,
these are a nuisance as well particularly for those with the Railcard app which takes rather a while to load.

Doing this barcode scan/code application verifies if a valid Railcard is held, and then all other staff can take it as read that the railcard-discounted ticket is valid.

The only disadvantage is it would allow someone to use another person’s card unless buying from a ticket office, but realistically how often is this happening?
This problem is resolved if you buy your railcard on the train line app. They normally run regular promotions so it's cheaper than buying it from National Rail, and it sits on the trainline app. Which is where I buy most of my E-tickets, as it doesn't charge any fees for on the day purchases.

It's very rare for me to be asked to show my railcard, most people are only interested in the the ticket.
 
Joined
2 Sep 2022
Messages
104
Location
Wf3
For me, having to scan my Railcard or some such action when buying a ticket seems far more cumbersome than simply opening the app (which seems to take 10 seconds at most) and showing it to the conductor.
 

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
I occasionally buy a ticket for an octogenarian who has no interest in technology, but is perfectly capable of carrying a railcard and producing it for a conductor in about one second flat. Your scheme as I understand it would prevent me buying it. Technology isn’t always the answer.

The only disadvantage is it would allow someone to use another person’s card unless buying from a ticket office, but realistically how often is this happening?

Somewhat naive. If there’s a way to avoiding paying the correct fare it won’t take long to exploit it.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,571
I’m heartily tired of barriers rejecting railcard tickets as a precaution. It’s absolutely ridiculous. And as for the railcard checks on-board trains,
these are a nuisance as well particularly for those with the Railcard app which takes rather a while to load.
How long is “rather a while”? I’ve just been able to open the app (and have the railcard ready as if for display) quicker than this forum page loaded!

When using an e-ticket, I typically have the ticket and app both open and quickly switch between the two apps for presentation. Have you considered showing the railcard before the ticket?

Perhaps it’s a local issue, are apps generally fairly slow to load on your phone?
 

XAM2175

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2016
Messages
3,471
Location
Glasgow
I’m heartily tired of barriers rejecting railcard tickets as a precaution. It’s absolutely ridiculous.
The solution here, as myself and a number of other members have previously posted, is to switch barriers to passing Railcard tickets and using a visual indicator to attract the attention of any staff who are present - as LU already do for certain passes.

And as for the railcard checks on-board trains,
these are a nuisance as well particularly for those with the Railcard app which takes rather a while to load.
If the problem is with trying to display one's ticket on an app and then finding one's railcard on a separate app, is the solution to have one app which will show both ticket and railcard - either at the same time, or in quick succession?
The fragmentation of the retailing of tickets complicates this somewhat, but it's the best approach I've yet seen. Using DB's Navigator app, the BahnCard information is simply one swipe away from the ticket barcode.

It's very rare for me to be asked to show my railcard, most people are only interested in the the ticket.
This is going to be to one of those things that varies dramatically by place and time.
 

James H

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2014
Messages
1,546
I do think there's a real issue with barriers forcing a manual check of railcard tickets. When in so many spheres, emphasis is placed on 'customer experience' it is a lousy experience when travelling with luggage on a discounted ticket to approach the barrier, find the ticket doesn't work, try to fight past other passengers to get to the staff member supervising the barriers and awkwardly ask to be let through. They then may want to witness themselves that the ticket doesn't operate the barrier.

Arriving at a cramped station like Bournemouth it all makes for a lot of hassle and spoils what may otherwise have been a smooth journey.
 

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2021
Messages
1,898
Location
Welsh Marches
I must say I've not had barriers reject my ticket for having a railcard, so maybe the ones I regularly travel to have it turned off? I don't really think it's an inconvenience to have to show your railcard on a journey, and if it is to those people that use digital versions, maybe try getting a physical card the next time that you renew.
 

James H

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2014
Messages
1,546
I have no problem providing my railcard for inspection on board (and offer it for inspection as a matter of routine when the guard approaches).

My issue is with barriers set to reject all railcard discounted tickets. It creates a poor experience for the passenger and punishes the innocent passenger for the transgressions of others.

Happens often at London Bridge, and i've known it at Bournemouth and Waterloo.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top