• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Railcard case settled in March, new letter received for interview

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaimusiD

New Member
Joined
7 Mar 2025
Messages
4
Location
Manchester
Hi all

I've read few threads about people in the similar situation but I would like to double check.

In February 2025, I was stopped by the staff [Northern] and failed to show my railcard. In March I received email from DRPU request for evidence and I apologiesd that my railcard has expired and was offered for settlement (one jouney + admin charge).

Last month I've received an email from Digital Fraud team mentioned that they've checked my account with *Redact* other journeys from January 2024 - January 2025 and request for interview under PACE and evidence. They only mentioned 'The conduct we are investigating may amount to an offence under the Fraud Act 2006.' and no settlement included.

I understand they are out of time for railway byelaws and they could purse a civil charge on me. What's the best option for me here? Not respond and waiting to see if I get a summon from civil court? Many thanks for your time reading this.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,620
Location
Isle of Man
Redact the details, but it's difficult to advise without seeing the full correspondence.

As you note, they must bring prosecutions under the Byelaws or under the Regulation of Railways Act within six months. That time limit is six years for Fraud Act prosecutions.

To prosecute for fraud they have to prove both the act (actus reus) and that you intended to commit fraud (mens rea). They will no doubt argue that you selecting the railcard option at purchase is fraud by misrepresentation, i.e. you told them you had a railcard when you didn't. Intent is proven based on what the mythical 'reasonable person' would think, not what you as an individual actually thought.

My gut instinct would be to disregard the email and not engage in correspondence. It is for them to prove that you actually travelled using a railcard discount you were not entitled to. The purchase of tickets does not necessarily prove they were used, and the scanning of tickets does not necessarily prove you were the one using them.

This will depend on what you have previously said to them, though.

ETA: I presume this is a vanilla case of travelling without a railcard, rather than something more serious, such as creating a fake railcard.
 
Last edited:
Joined
25 Feb 2025
Messages
14
Location
liverpool
Did you produce an expired railcard or did you not produce one at all? What railcards have you held and when did they expire?
 

HaimusiD

New Member
Joined
7 Mar 2025
Messages
4
Location
Manchester
I did provide my railcards up until 2024. It was 26-30. I was still valid for that railcard for the journeys.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Redact the details, but it's difficult to advise without seeing the full correspondence.

As you note, they must bring prosecutions under the Byelaws or under the Regulation of Railways Act within six months. That time limit is six years for Fraud Act prosecutions.

To prosecute for fraud they have to prove both the act (actus reus) and that you intended to commit fraud (mens rea). They will no doubt argue that you selecting the railcard option at purchase is fraud by misrepresentation, i.e. you told them you had a railcard when you didn't. Intent is proven based on what the mythical 'reasonable person' would think, not what you as an individual actually thought.

My gut instinct would be to disregard the email and not engage in correspondence. It is for them to prove that you actually travelled using a railcard discount you were not entitled to. The purchase of tickets does not necessarily prove they were used, and the scanning of tickets does not necessarily prove you were the one using them.

This will depend on what you have previously said to them, though.

ETA: I presume this is a vanilla case of travelling without a railcard, rather than something more serious, such as creating a fake railcard.
Please see attached email. From the settlement back in March I admitted it was a mistake to forgot renew the railcard and provided my railcard history. It doesn’t cover the period they are requesting for the recent email though. And yes, no fake railcard involved.
 

Attachments

  • 86d546398a4a7430c394396ece435b4c.png
    86d546398a4a7430c394396ece435b4c.png
    163.2 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,533
Location
LBK
Make no comment and do not attend any interview.
 

Fawkes Cat

Established Member
Joined
8 May 2017
Messages
5,310
I understand they are out of time for railway byelaws and they could purse a civil charge on me. What's the best option for me here? Not respond and waiting to see if I get a summon from civil court?
To add to the advice above, if the railway are to claim money back from you in the civil court, they still need to show that it was you who travelled. The standard of proof isn't so high in the civil court (the usual way of saying it is that in the civil court it's what's most likely to be true, while for the criminal court it needs to be proved beyond reasonable doubt) but it's not really in your interest to provide evidence to the railway that they could use against you in a civil action.

I think it's the case that the argument that you don't have to incriminate yourself applies to civil matters as well as criminal ones: if so, you're within your rights to keep quiet and not respond.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,307
Location
Bolton
You have absolutely nothing to be gained from attending their interview and there is no obligation for you to do so.

Let them come after you for fraud if they wish. I doubt they will bother, but if they do you can get further advice here. Don't bother to respond.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,638
Location
Merseyside
I took would like to add what others have said. Do not reply to them and do not attend any interview. Their sole purpose in wanting you to reply to them as well as to attend any interview is so you have 2 opportunities to incriminate yourself accidentally.

If they had enough evidence for anything further they would be taking you to court already or offering to an out of court settlement at this point.

Do not respond. Expect for them to send a follow up email or letter in the post but do not respond.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,620
Location
Isle of Man
Thanks all for the replies. And I’ll keep quiet and see what’s next.
That’s what my response was also going to be. You may get further emails with increasingly histrionic language. If anything concerns you, come back before acknowledging the emails.
 

Tallguy

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2011
Messages
404
That’s what my response was also going to be. You may get further emails with increasingly histrionic language. If anything concerns you, come back before acknowledging the emails.
Don’t acknowledge the e mails. Do not open the e mails on your PC, read them via a webpage if you have to. Personally I would just ignore. Come back if you get court docs but as others have said, just because their is proof of ticket purchase, doesn’t mean you used that ticket for travel.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,638
Location
Merseyside
Don’t acknowledge the e mails. Do not open the e mails on your PC, read them via a webpage if you have to. Personally I would just ignore. Come back if you get court docs but as others have said, just because their is proof of ticket purchase, doesn’t mean you used that ticket for travel.
Do avoid triggering a read receipt?
 

35B

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
5,526
In computer email apps, e.g. Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, etc, you can refuse to return read receipts, even if requested by the sender.
Techniques that don’t always work with all tracking technologies.
 

jumble

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2011
Messages
1,500
In computer email apps, e.g. Outlook, Mozilla Thunderbird, etc, you can refuse to return read receipts, even if requested by the sender.

Techniques that don’t always work with all tracking technologies.
I would be quite inerested to know of any system that can provide 100% proof of opening
(I know a company that uses Rpost to provide proof of delivery to an email server but it is not clear if they can 100% tell if the email was opened)
If said email address was autoforwarding to a system outside the server or the email address is associated with a distribution group then I cannot understand how the originator could possibly be advised if it was read or not but I may be wrong
 

35B

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
5,526
I would be quite inerested to know of any system that can provide 100% proof of opening
(I know a company that uses Rpost to provide proof of delivery to an email server but it is not clear if they can 100% tell if the email was opened)
If said email address was autoforwarding to a system outside the server or the email address is associated with a distribution group then I cannot understand how the originator could possibly be advised if it was read or not but I may be wrong
No system is 100% reliable, but techniques like tracking pixels give better data than the old read receipt. I have my personal Outlook set not to provide receipts, but on a system I have access to the back end of, I have seen reports stating (correctly) whether mails have been seen, opened or read.
 

Twicklatic

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2019
Messages
11
Location
London
I would be quite inerested to know of any system that can provide 100% proof of opening
(I know a company that uses Rpost to provide proof of delivery to an email server but it is not clear if they can 100% tell if the email was opened)
If said email address was autoforwarding to a system outside the server or the email address is associated with a distribution group then I cannot understand how the originator could possibly be advised if it was read or not but I may be wrong
Mail from MailChimp does give sender data eg when sent, when read with date & time mail was opened info together with how many times it was opened. Forwarding the email will be included as mail being opened.
However, can the sender prove that the info generated is correct?
 

35B

Established Member
Joined
19 Dec 2011
Messages
5,526
Mail from MailChimp does give sender data eg when sent, when read with date & time mail was opened info together with how many times it was opened. Forwarding the email will be included as mail being opened.
However, can the sender prove that the info generated is correct?
They don't need to - in a situation like this, it will be the intelligence gained about responses that may be useful
 

Cloud Strife

Established Member
Joined
25 Feb 2014
Messages
2,964
Just to follow up on some earlier responses: it's generally a bad idea in any situation to attend a voluntary interview. They will be looking for a hook to bring you to trial, or they will be looking for you to let something slip that will let them investigate further. It's simply best to ignore such requests, especially if they're holding the interview under PACE.

If they have evidence of fraud, let them bring charges, otherwise it's best to simply ignore them. Ultimately, there's no point giving them any leverage over you, and if you're certain that this is the only case where you've used a railcard wrongly (and the matter has been settled to their satisfaction), then there's nothing to gain by talking to them. It might be a different story if you'd been defrauding the railway for a considerable amount, and in this case, you might be well served attending the interview with legal representation.
 

contrex

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2009
Messages
1,677
Location
St Werburghs, Bristol
No system is 100% reliable, but techniques like tracking pixels give better data than the old read receipt.
Web bugs we used to call them, and they are one reason I turn off downloading of external content in my email apps, and set Thunderbird to use the Tor proxy I have running on a Raspberry Pi on my home network.
 

Egg Centric

Established Member
Joined
6 Oct 2018
Messages
2,899
Location
Land of the Prince Bishops
They don't need to - in a situation like this, it will be the intelligence gained about responses that may be useful

That's basically it - any technique is far too nuanced interpretation wise (both false positives and false negatives are possible, and the latter is likely with most mail clients these days under default settings) to be usable as proof of anything, so at worst you're supplying intelligence to a team that have shown themselves to not be frankly not very intelligent. I don't think it's anything to worry about, far better for OP to read the mails to see what they're saying imo.
 

contrex

Established Member
Joined
19 May 2009
Messages
1,677
Location
St Werburghs, Bristol
at worst you're supplying intelligence to a team that have shown themselves to not be frankly not very intelligent. I don't think it's anything to worry about, far better for OP to read the mails to see what they're saying imo.
But these days I fear 'stupid' nearly as much as I fear 'clever'.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top