• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Trip (think road trip with better transport!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vc-10

Member
Joined
8 May 2008
Messages
60
Location
Windsor
I'm off on a rail trip around Europe this summer, and I'm having some problems with finding out about fares and supplements etc.
We're getting interrail tickets (proper gap year fares!), but we want to do the following:
Eurostar cheapo tickets from London to Lille, then a TGV to Paris. This is on a Saturday, so I think that's got a €3 supplement. Then the overnight train to Barcelona - I think that we could do the sleeper seats thing rather than the couchettes.

We're then taking the train to Benicasim, for the festival. What services are these, from Barcelona? Is it the Euromed train?

We are then going back to Barcelona, and hopefully on to Rome. I think there are overnight trains from Barcelona to Milan, running on Tuesdays, then the high speed service to Rome.

We're then taking the train to Prague, I think there's an overnight service, but possibly changing in Wein? Anyone know about this?

Then to Munich, I think changing in Nuremberg onto the ICE. Is this a 250 km/h ICE 1 or a nice shiny ICE 3 at 300 km/h?

Then back to Paris and on to Lille. I think you can take an overnight train from Munich to Paris.


The main thing I'm asking about is whether or not we need to book seats on any of these services. I've not used an interrail pass before, and I don't want any problems when we're in Europe. I'm not much of a linguist (did French for GCSE but nothing else) so it would be good if I can do everything online before leaving.

Thanks in advance,
Felix
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Railjet

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2009
Messages
408
The best source of information for supplements, reservations etc with an Inter-Rail pass is this site:
When are reservations necessary?
Reservation costs for domestic trains
Reservation costs for international day trains
Reservation fees for night trains.

If you are buying a flexi-pass, note the 7pm rule for travelling with night trains.

From Rome to Prague, you can travel overnight on either the Rome - Munich or Rome - Vienna sleepers (it is one train when it leaves Rome and divides at Bologna) and then get a day train Munich - Prague or Vienna - Prague. Allow a reasonable time (I would say at least an hour) for a connection, because it is not unknown for the sleeper to be late.
 

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
From Prague to Munich you have the following options:

Alex train direct, 6 hours, bloody uncomfortable

or

DB Coach to Nuremburg & then an ICE

The ICE's which run between Nuremburg & Munich can be any of ICE1 (max 280), ICE2 (max 280), ICE3 (max 330) or ICET (max 230)

The ICE1 & ICE2 run Hamburg/Bremen to Munich
The ICE3 runs from Dortmund to Munich
The ICET runs Berlin to Munich

Alternatively, you could get an EC from Prague to Dresden, then ICET to Leipzig and another ICET from Leipzig to Munich. However, be warned that the ICET between Leipzig & Nuremburg takes 3 hours and runs at an average speed of 63mph.
 

Railjet

Member
Joined
28 Feb 2009
Messages
408
Yes, the Munich route is quicker if you are willing to go on the bus (and accept a 20 minute connection in Munich off the sleeper on to the ICE).

I would consider the Vienna route, even though you will arrive in Prague later - you have an hour connecting time in Wien Meidling on to a reasonably comfortable EC train to Prague.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top