• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail travel in British Columbia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elwyn

Member
Joined
5 May 2014
Messages
568
Location
Co. Antrim, Ireland
I am considering travelling with VIA Rail from Prince Rupert in British Columbia to Jasper (via Prince George). Has anyone made this journey? If so, any comments and suggestions? Is it worth doing?

What classes of travel are there, and any views on whether an upgrade is beneficial?

Any recommendations on where to stay in both Prince Rupert and Prince George?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
I did that about 16 years ago from Jasper to Prince Rupert.

The train was a 4 car set loco hauled I think, the rear coach had a downstairs that was like a lounge car and a small dome upstairs where you could sit and set a slightly better view.
I was booked in what was called Totem class and that included light meals and wine with the evening meal, the seating was no different to the regular class of service, but was still comfortable, try not to get a seat too near the front as there was a small galley there and the window view was a bit smaller, but when not eating I went into the rear car dome as mentioned.
I think it was May or June when I did the trip and it was not too busy, I can not remember what hotels I stayed in Prince George or Prince Rupert, but they were only a short take ride from the Stations. I booked it all with Travel 2 / 4 and it was fine.
Lovey train journey and scenery, if the train crew saw anything of interest they stopped the train and made an announcement. One Man got on in the middle of nowhere just by waving his arm as the train approached.
The service was called the Skeena, well worth doing. Canada and the Canadian people are lovely.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top