Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
I've been against reservations for some time. For a start they penalise those paying full fare disproportionately as they are less likely to reserve a seat (as they've likely got a need for flexible travel).
I would abolish reservations for all tickets and replace it with a "guaranteed seat" scheme which would be a charge for extra.
I've been against reservations for some time. For a start they penalise those paying full fare disproportionately as they are less likely to reserve a seat (as they've likely got a need for flexible travel).
It would work the same way it used to back in BR days, when you paid extra for a reservation! The quota control on "booked train only" seats per train would be the same as now, just there would be no guarantee you'd get a seat and you wouldn't be allocated a seat number.
We need to get away from the sort of nonsense that prevents long distance XC passengers being unable to travel/book a cheaper ticket simply because half a Plymouth-Newcastle service has seats booked Bristol TM-Bristol Parkway.
It would work the same way it used to back in BR days, when you paid extra for a reservation! The quota control on "booked train only" seats per train would be the same as now, just there would be no guarantee you'd get a seat and you wouldn't be allocated a seat number.
I'm really confused now. You said a "guaranteed seat scheme". "Counted places" does not guarantee a seat. How would the "guaranteed seat scheme" work other than by (optionally) reserving one?
I do think Advances should have a reservation, though, other than the sort of "edge case" below. The reason is that unlike a walk-up ticket I have no choice to say "this train is too busy, I'm going to take a different one".
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
We need to get away from the sort of nonsense that prevents long distance XC passengers being unable to travel/book a cheaper ticket simply because half a Plymouth-Newcastle service has seats booked Bristol TM-Bristol Parkway.
There are a number of possible solutions to that that don't involve losing the benefit of seat selection and reservation.
1. German-style, don't allow (or charge a hefty fare for) local travel on IC services except where there is no local alternative. On DB, this is usually handled by running ICs as REs for part of their journey where there is no alternative.
2. Don't allow reservations for short journeys, but do have them for longer ones. I agree stuff like this (and Manchester Oxford Road-Manchester Piccadilly, which sometimes happens) is silly.
I'm really confused now. You said a "guaranteed seat scheme". "Counted places" does not guarantee a seat. How would the "guaranteed seat scheme" work other than by (optionally) reserving one?
I do think Advances should have a reservation, though, other than the sort of "edge case" below. The reason is that unlike a walk-up ticket I have no choice to say "this train is too busy, I'm going to take a different one".
Because if I'm on a walk up ticket and not in a hurry and the intended train pulls in and has no spare seats, I will take a different one. An Advance does not offer me that option, so an accompanying reservation is sensible.
We are aware of an issue with emails from the Forum to Microsoft-based email accounts (hotmail/outlook/live.com email addresses). This is being looked into currently, thanks for your patience meanwhile.