• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail track between New Beckenham and Beckenham Junction stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
Def Pre Connex - (made a special excursion out to travel on it) - !

I stand corrected!

I seem to remember reading that whilst innovative, it wasn't that well patronised as a service. I wonder if things might have turned out differently in more recent years rather than in the 90's? That said, hourly just isn't frequent enought to establish a service in suburbia. I've some vague idea that the timings were a bit peculiar at points in the day... or did it just run during the daytime outside of the peaks?

In 'greater' south-east London it does feel like there's something of a missing link from Lewisham way to Bromley so I'd say it was definitely worth giving this a go. I imagine the greater frequency of services on both lines nowadays rather puts shot to the idea it could be tried again.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,420
Location
Yorks
In 'greater' south-east London it does feel like there's something of a missing link from Lewisham way to Bromley so I'd say it was definitely worth giving this a go. I imagine the greater frequency of services on both lines nowadays rather puts shot to the idea it could be tried again.

That's what Bromley North's for !
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,343
Location
Herts
I stand corrected!

I seem to remember reading that whilst innovative, it wasn't that well patronised as a service. I wonder if things might have turned out differently in more recent years rather than in the 90's? That said, hourly just isn't frequent enought to establish a service in suburbia. I've some vague idea that the timings were a bit peculiar at points in the day... or did it just run during the daytime outside of the peaks?

In 'greater' south-east London it does feel like there's something of a missing link from Lewisham way to Bromley so I'd say it was definitely worth giving this a go. I imagine the greater frequency of services on both lines nowadays rather puts shot to the idea it could be tried again.

Yes - a tentative toe in the water -and yes , off peak only. 6/10 +
 

DorkingMain

Member
Joined
25 Aug 2020
Messages
692
Location
London, UK
To be honest most would take the bus rather than 2 trains ...
Indeed. There's two (fairly) frequent and well-patronised bus routes between Lewisham and Bromley town centre.

Changing trains at Grove Park, and the 10 min walk from Bromley North to the main shopping area means the extra 15 or so mins the bus would take is somewhat negated.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,032
Location
London
Indeed. There's two (fairly) frequent and well-patronised bus routes between Lewisham and Bromley town centre.

Changing trains at Grove Park, and the 10 min walk from Bromley North to the main shopping area means the extra 15 or so mins the bus would take is somewhat negated.

Many Bromley residents are keen for something more to be done with Bromley North. The connections improved slightly in the Dec ‘19 timetable but still can be poor. Many want through trains but fail to realise it’s on the Main side and would require expensive flyovers (if even possible with the bridge).

Personally, I think the best option is not to extend the Bakerloo line to Hayes but take over the Bromley North branch and some extra stops Grove Park to Lewisham. But that’s more of a Speculative Ideas thread...
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,519
Location
Yorkshire
Agreed.

I think the original question has been answered, so I will close this thread now.

If anyone wants to discuss what could be done with this curve, we would welcome the creation of a new thread in the Speculative Ideas section :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top