• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Staff Knowledge of Station Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
Keighley is pronounced like, Keith Lee! (Must be someone called that!).

People from Keighley say "Wakefield Kirkgate" as "Wakefield Kur-gut" and "Huddersfield" would be "'uddersfield".

Good job there isn't a station at Mousehole!

If there was a station at Cirencester I bet a lot of people would call it Siren-ster, to be in line with Leicester, Bicester etc. At least the Americans would get Cirencester right, while getting all the others wrong.

Ever had anyone ask for a ticket to "Loo-gah-bor-ouh-gah"? or "Loo-gah-bor-ouh-gah Junction"?

I found a station I'd never heard of announced on a local train in West Yorks - Slawit. Wasn't until we pulled into Slaithwaite I understood that was the local pronunciation! Though I've never had a problem with Milngavie (Mill-guy in local parlance), though when booking a train to start the West Highland Way in Oxford, I've had to pronounce in as spelt so the clerk can find it.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Keighley is pronounced like, Keith Lee! (Must be someone called that!).

People from Keighley say "Wakefield Kirkgate" as "Wakefield Kur-gut" and "Huddersfield" would be "'uddersfield".

Good job there isn't a station at Mousehole!

If there was a station at Cirencester I bet a lot of people would call it Siren-ster, to be in line with Leicester, Bicester etc. At least the Americans would get Cirencester right, while getting all the others wrong.

Ever had anyone ask for a ticket to "Loo-gah-bor-ouh-gah"? or "Loo-gah-bor-ouh-gah Junction"?

I often annoy Mrs Greenback by deliberately misprononouncing places like Mousehole! Anothe rone is Lee-oh-minster! It really gets on her nerves!

Actually, when I was a child and we were in Yorkshire my mother upset a local resident by saying Kee-ley instead of Keith Lee when asking for directions. She got a five minute lecture on the correct way of saying it!

Speaking of Americans, one once asked me for a ticket to where I currently live, pronouncing it as Lan-elle-aye. I had to ask them to show me on the map, as they also (understandably) had trouble spelling it!
 

Yew

Established Member
Joined
12 Mar 2011
Messages
7,245
Location
UK
On near me is Southwell.

Either south - well or suvvle

In Derbyshire there is eyam

Either eym or e-yam
 

scotsman

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2010
Messages
3,252
Though I've never had a problem with Milngavie (Mill-guy in local parlance), though when booking a train to start the West Highland Way in Oxford, I've had to pronounce in as spelt.

Local parlance?! It's not a colloquialism, it's the correct pronunciation. Also, did you know that Cockburn Street is near to Waverley station (learn to pronounce that, or it'll be very embarrassing!)
 

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
Local parlance?! It's not a colloquialism, it's the correct pronunciation. Also, did you know that Cockburn Street is near to Waverley station (learn to pronounce that, or it'll be very embarrassing!)

I apologise for not making it clear that Mill-guy was the correct pronunciation. However, find me someone who isn't Scottish or a walker who will pronounce it correctly.

For me Bister is the correct pronunciation for Bicester, but there are many who'll say Bye-cester.

I suppose the argument over this is what IS the correct pronunciation for various place names, as these things vary over the centuries.

Coburn, like the actor I'd wager.
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
For me Bister is the correct pronunciation for Bicester, but there are many who'll say Bye-cester.

Only wrong people :lol: Places ending in -cester generally are pronounced -ster. Only Americans would pronounce Gloucester as glaw-cester rather than the correct Gloster (which is also the correct spelling). Towcester's got to be my favourite anyway!

Cirencester is another one that's often mispronounced Siren-cester...
 

gnolife

Established Member
Joined
4 Nov 2010
Messages
2,047
Location
Johnstone
On the Wigan via Bolton trains, one that I tend to hear other passengers giving multiple different pronunciations for is Westhoughton
Some people say it as "West-er-ton", others as "West-haw-ton" and others as "Wes-thought-on" (I'm one of those who takes the first way of pronouncing it)
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,540
Location
Yorkshire
Cirencester is another one that's often mispronounced Siren-cester...
Are you sure? Isn't Cirencester is the odd one out, and that it's Siren-cester not Siren-ster, which people who are of how to pronounce Bicester, Leicester etc may expect.
 

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
Only wrong people :lol: Places ending in -cester generally are pronounced -ster. Only Americans would pronounce Gloucester as glaw-cester rather than the correct Gloster (which is also the correct spelling). Towcester's got to be my favourite anyway!

Cirencester is another one that's often mispronounced Siren-cester...

Even the locals pronounce it Siren-cester which shows how wrong you can be... ;)

I know what you mean about Towcester, I've been to the Towcester races and also seen the Washing Machine handicap... ;)
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
Are you sure? Isn't Cirencester is the odd one out, and that it's Siren-cester not Siren-ster, which people who are of how to pronounce Bicester, Leicester etc may expect.

It was a bit tongue-in-cheek. The historically 'correct' pronunciation is Cisseter but yes, nowadays it's pronounced as it's spelt (or just 'Ciren') by everyone except the occasional elderly. I just like being awkward.

Speaking of being awkward, am I alone in deliberately mispronouncing Loughborough in the fashion of the now legendary Australian tourists overheard by a friend of a friend of everyone in the world? ("Looga-barooga")
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,063
Location
Sheffield
Hednesford caused problems at Sheffield.
When I spelt it, as requested, the clerk said in a very patronising tone 'oh you mean Hed-nes-ford'. I somehow resisted the temptation to ask if they supported Sheffield Wed-nes-day :)
 

Buttsy

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2011
Messages
1,374
Location
Hanborough
Speaking of being awkward, am I alone in deliberately mispronouncing Loughborough in the fashion of the now legendary Australian tourists overheard by a friend of a friend of everyone in the world? ("Looga-barooga")

If you want fun with Aussies and pronunciation, ask them to pronounce Penistone or Clitheroe...
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
Asked for a ticket to Witham at Surrey Quays last year; was asked if I wanted West Midlands and realised he thought I said "Witton."

On a train from an unstaffed station I asked the ATE for a return to Theale. "Where?!" was her response as she asked me to spell it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top