• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail replacement service Market Rasen to Grimsby

Status
Not open for further replies.

les.

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2014
Messages
219
Location
Great Grimsby
As a lot of you will be aware, there are no trains in and out of Grimsby Town/Cleethorpes until the 10th of January.

I travelled back from Oxted in Surrey on Monday via Newark. The train from Newark terminated at Market Rasen and it was a bus replacement service onward from there.

Now I appreciate that the work needs to be done but it took 1 hour and 32 minutes to get from Market Rasen back to Grimsby. Obviously the bus needed to call at the 2 stations (Barnetby and Habrough) which the train was due to call at but the timings were, in my opinion, a long way out. There was 45 minutes allowed to travel the 17 miles to Barnetby. This actually took just over 20 minutes so on arrival the bus just sat there for over 20 minutes before it could go on. Again 25 minutes allowed to travel the 8 miles to Habrough, again the bus just sat waiting for 15 minutes.

Surely these times could be tightened up a bit which would make this journey a lot less tedious for the passengers on the bus.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
It's totally stupid the way they route these buses.
Next time use the 53 bus if possible as it's faster and cheaper.
 

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2011
Messages
3,042
Location
Groningen
You need a valid rail ticket to use an RRB. Just because it won't be checked doesn't mean you don't have to buy one. (and FCC of old did a couple of times do a full ticket check on an RRB and penalty fare a lot of people)
 

James Wake

Member
Joined
30 Aug 2013
Messages
962
You need a valid rail ticket to use an RRB. Just because it won't be checked doesn't mean you don't have to buy one. (and FCC of old did a couple of times do a full ticket check on an RRB and penalty fare a lot of people)

I have also seen ticket checks carried out on Southern RRBs, mainly at Horsham by one of the gateline staff who when there are no trains north or south and he doesn't need to be on the gateline, he will check every passenger boarding the RRBs.

The current Three Bridges to EG rail replacements don't seem to have ticket checks, but are doing a great job with getting people moving quickly and not letting queues build up, yesterday at EG a standby was used to clear a Three Bridges queue, as the 1812 departure was full at 1805. That plugged the gap and then the 1817 left on time.

However, if I wanted to ride the RRBs all day to my heart's content, I could as my season is valid from Haywards Heath up to the London Zones, so I am of course on a valid route.
 

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2014
Messages
2,254
Location
Grimsby
Off topic, but I see the 144e is getting rave reviews: https://t.co/A0X9YEkORR

I saw it in Lincoln and it looked nice. I think Northern would do well if more 144e trains are made, still get the new ones though. The 144e is nice, cheap, and surely it's better to reuse a train then to scrap every 30 years. One of my brothers hated the idea of it though.
The Barton Line is perfect for a 144e.

--------

Back on the subject, why don't they run the Rail Replacement Bus like this:

Grimsby Town to Market Rasen via Caistor bypass (direct).
Then go to Barnetby and Habrough. Or split this into two routes.

Barnetby and Habrough to Grimsby people have the TPE bus anyway.
And Market Rasen to Grimsby is too slow.
If only one bus is used it would mean about a 40min wait for the bus to return from Grimsby if Barnetby is the destination, but it would save alot of time for the Grimsby travellers which there are more of.
Is this a good or bad idea?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

les.

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2014
Messages
219
Location
Great Grimsby
I saw it in Lincoln and it looked nice. I think Northern would do well if more 144e trains are made, still get the new ones though. The 144e is nice, cheap, and surely it's better to reuse a train then to scrap every 30 years. One of my brothers hated the idea of it though.
The Barton Line is perfect for a 144e.

--------

Back on the subject, why don't they run the Rail Replacement Bus like this:

Grimsby Town to Market Rasen via Caistor bypass (direct).
Then go to Barnetby and Habrough. Or split this into two routes.

Barnetby and Habrough to Grimsby people have the TPE bus anyway.
And Market Rasen to Grimsby is too slow.
If only one bus is used it would mean about a 40min wait for the bus to return from Grimsby if Barnetby is the destination, but it would save alot of time for the Grimsby travellers which there are more of.
Is this a good or bad idea?

I agree, that would be far better. It ridiculous that a journey (what by car) is about 20 miles should take over 1 and a half hours. I chose to go this way rather than Doncaster as I thought that a bus from Market Rasen would be preferable than a bus from Doncaster, how wrong I was.

Not sure if TPE have a direct bus from Doncaster to Gy/Clee and another one for Scunthorpe/Barnetby/Habrough but I know that they did when the line was out of action due to the colliery landslide.

As I said earlier only one person got on or off at either Barnetby or Habrough whilst everyone else had to endure the epic trek through the Lincolnshire countryside. I think I went through parts of Lincolnshire I didn't even know existed. :)
 

Failed Unit

Established Member
Joined
26 Jan 2009
Messages
9,809
Location
Central Belt
It is a common problem with rail replacement buses. The perfect world in your example would be to have the bus running direct to Grimsby with a taxi covering Barnetby and Habrough. However that will never happen.

Happens on busier routes as well. When Polmont - Edinburgh is closed they could run a bus down then M9 direct to Edinburgh, but 2x buses go via Linlithgow and wait a long time as the timing is generous.

If I was just going from Lincoln - Grimsby definately would take the bus instead of the train, but further afield they have got you.
 

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2011
Messages
3,042
Location
Groningen
Every bloody time I've tried to get one from Heaton Chapel and made the mistake of "only" showing up five minutes before the booked departure
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top