• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail replacement buses making longer diversions to change driversvon route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
This is something I have never experienced before.

I am on a direct rail replacement bus from Guildford to Gatwifk Airport. Rather than go down the M23, it has taken a route off the M25 through Redhill. Once in Redhill it stopped to change drivers. It's a mini-coach.

The timetable of course hasn't allowed for this so we will be around 25 minutes late into Gatick Airport.

Traffic on these roads in the evening rush hour, isn't exactly light.

I appreciate the need to change drivers, of course, just never experienced this type of diversion before. They could have even taken Redhill passengers on this service. Once I get to Gatwick Airport I will leg it, as I have a train to catch.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

boiledbeans2

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2020
Messages
977
Location
UK
Well, I guess it's really the driver's discretion which route he wants to take.
Most of the time, the non-stop Gatwick - Guildford RRB uses M23 - M25 - A3. But I've had a few who used the A25, passing all the intermediate stations non-stop.

Usually, the Guildford - Basingstoke RRBs use A31 - A331 - M3. But I rode one who did A3 - M25 - M3.

I've also had RRBs stop at the petrol (diesel!) station to refuel.
 

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Joined
29 May 2011
Messages
23,371
The timetable of course hasn't allowed for this so we will be around 25 minutes late into Gatick Airport.
Going via Redhill shouldn't add 25 minutes on its own, as the route via the M23 is longer. Did it also get delayed in traffic?
 

sjoh

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2016
Messages
372
Location
London, E11.
This is something I have never experienced before.

I am on a direct rail replacement bus from Guildford to Gatwifk Airport. Rather than go down the M23, it has taken a route off the M25 through Redhill. Once in Redhill it stopped to change drivers. It's a mini-coach.

The timetable of course hasn't allowed for this so we will be around 25 minutes late into Gatick Airport.

Traffic on these roads in the evening rush hour, isn't exactly light.

I appreciate the need to change drivers, of course, just never experienced this type of diversion before. They could have even taken Redhill passengers on this service. Once I get to Gatwick Airport I will leg it, as I have a train to catch.

Has anyone else ever experienced this?
Possibly an unplanned driver change due to running out of hours or some other unforeseen issue.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Going via Redhill shouldn't add 25 minutes on its own, as the route via the M23 is longer. Did it also get delayed in traffic?
It did as it is rush hour but I suspect it would have been delayed less on the M23. I can't prove this though.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Possibly an unplanned driver change due to running out of hours or some other unforeseen issue.
That is entirely possible, but it was unusual, none the less.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top