Northern are still using Arriva Road Transport for their rail replacement, though I believe the contract is coming up for renewal shortly!?
In my area, North East, we have recently seen an increase in the number of coach operators from further afield (as far as Manchester!) as the local companies have struggled to cover their own work never mind additional rail work. The staff shortages are hitting everyone in different ways… we’ve recently done a lot of last minute work for Northern due to crew shortages.
All contracts are up for renewal at the minute I believe. Mostly due to the change from operations from franchising to management contracts. I think Northerns was just up for renewal. Last I heard was that they were expecting announcements a while back but nothing developed.
There are a lot of times with operators travelling a long distance to do Rail work. There was a firm from Birmingham doing Llandudno Junction to Holyhead. A Luton firm doing Kettering to Leicester. It's not good. I don't think many operators know how to get onto rail work, I know i've spoken to two firms who didn't know how to sign up for rails. The sad thing is that there is a lot which could be done to improve availability but seemingly TOCs don't want to adapt their requests according to demand. Some firms are taking it upon themselves to put smaller vehicles out simply because they know they won't be used but this does come at a risk of course.
At 2am, is a 53 seater really needed, could it be requested as a 30 seater since that would open up the use of Ilesbus and the Iveco Connect bus. Could some small service buses start being used on shorter runs or those where the average journey time is relatively low. There is stuff which can be done, I think there is just a reluctance to change but that is due to how things are in the rail industry.