• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Replacement Bus...But i need to take my bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamp

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2007
Messages
694
Location
Manchester
Im travelling from Manchester Piccadilly to Barnetby with my bike tomorrow.
From Doncaster to Barnetby trains are not running and a 2 hour rail replacement bus is running. So, can I buy a normal Manchester to Barnetby return with a 16-25 railcard and then go via Lincoln instead? (Change at Sheffield and then Lincoln)
If I cant take my bike on the coach then what else am I supposed to do? I worked out a Manchester to Lincoln and Lincoln to Barnetby return would cost a rediculous £27.65 all together with a railcard. Compared to the straight forward Manchester - Barnetby RTN which costs £18.80.

It really is not fair if I have to pay more because they cannot accomodate bikes on rail replacement buses during engineering works. I dont think our rail system should gain money from engineering... saying all this if the ticket would not be vaild.

So, Any help?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OwlMan

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2008
Messages
3,206
You can go from Doncaster to Barnetby via Lincoln

You can travel the following routes:

Maps EE+WY+GM Manchester to Huddersfield to Leeds to Wakefield to Doncaster to Lincoln to Barnetby

Maps GM+WK Manchester to Huddersfield to Wakefield to Doncaster to Barnetby

Maps GM+WY+WK Manchester to Huddersfield to Leeds to Wakefield to Doncaster to Barnetby

Maps MS+SH: Manchester to Chinley (via Guide Bridge, Stockport, or Reddish North) or Huddersfield to Sheffield to Barnetby (via Retford )

Map PS: Manchester to Chinley (via Guide Bridge, Stockport, or Reddish North) to Sheffield to Barnetby (via Retford or Doncaster)

Peter
 

clagmonster

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2005
Messages
2,442
Ticket checks do take place on this replacement bus service when boarding or alighting at Doncaster. I have seen luggage being stowed under the bus, the hold would be able to take a bicycle, whether they would put it in for you I don't know.
 

mumrar

Established Member
Joined
26 Sep 2008
Messages
2,650
Location
Redditch
The cheapest return fare from Manchester to Barnetby in my Avantix is the SVR costing £22.05 with your railcard. Unfortunately, your ticket entitles you to a journey, but not a certain level of service or quantity of luggage space. After all standard class throughout the country is very far ranging from Classes 14x and 153, through to refurb HST and mk4 sets so you cannot always expect to be able to take your bike.
 

class377man

Member
Joined
7 Jan 2009
Messages
224
RR Buses ARE NOT Free.

No, but I was told by a member of staff once when there were no ticketing facilities available (window shut, machine only accepting coins (all I had was notes obviously)) to "just get on the bus". I didn't argue :lol:
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I once got on a late night RR bus and tried to show my ticket to the driver, who just laughed and said he wasn't interested if anyone had a ticket or not!
 

glynn80

Established Member
Joined
1 Jun 2008
Messages
1,666
RR Buses ARE NOT Free.

TfL have actually publically confirmed that they do not revenue protect their RR Buses for a variety of reasons including ticket offices being closed because of the engineering work and avoiding further infuriating delayed passengers.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top