• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail newbie needing help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckles1066

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2010
Messages
361
Hi all,

I'm new to commuting by rail and would appreciate some guidance from those of you more seasoned and experienced than I :)

I have a return ticket from A to B.

A to B is a straight trip, no changes, easy-peasy.

B to A involves a change at C. The suggested route means standing around in a cold station (B) for half an hour before the suggested train arrives and then a 25 minute wait at station (C) before I can get back to (A).

Station (C) at least has a cafe/bar where I can grab a mug of coffee, sit in the warm and read a book/newspaper.

Hence, I'd rather get to (C) ASAP.

I've noticed that at least three trains arriving at (B) prior to mine stop at (C)......so my question is:

Can I just jump on the first train from (B) to (C), thus avoiding standing around at (B) in the cold and, even though it's a wait and a half for the (C) to (A) connection, at least I can do it in the warm.

Or will I get grief?

Does any of that make sense?

TIA :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
Assuming you have a season ticket then yes. If your itinery has been drawn up by a website then they will automatically suggest the minimum connection time en-route on the basis that you would probably arrive later at your origin station but not want to hang around in the middle.

If you don't have a season ticket then it is probably ok, unless you have an advance where the specific train is printed on the ticket, or your ticket is not valid on an earlier train because of peak/off-peak restrictions. If you can give us some more details about the actual journey and tickets held then we can give more comprehensive advice.
 

mathmo

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2008
Messages
338
If you don't have a season ticket then it is probably ok, unless you have an advance where the specific train is printed on the ticket, or your ticket is not valid on an earlier train because of peak/off-peak restrictions. If you can give us some more details about the actual journey and tickets held then we can give more comprehensive advice.

The above is correct. If you have a season ticket or an "Anytime" ticket then you can get any train on the appropriate route (i.e. no need to wait, just get the first train). If you have an "Off-Peak" ticket then you probably can but it may not be allowed - we would need to know the stations involved to give a definite answer. If you have an "Advance" ticket then you probably can't (but it depends on the stations and trains involved).

The only time what I and MikeWh have said may not apply is if there is a restriction on your ticket in the section marked "Route" (which may restrict you to a certain train company, for example), so it would be useful to know this information too.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,538
Location
Yorkshire
I'm confused with the A, B and C stuff so I'll ignore it, state the rules and give a couple of real examples if that's ok:)

Your train is valid on any permitted route (unless otherwise specified) between origin and destination, and intermediately at any station on any of these routes.

Permitted routes consist of: Direct trains (the route is valid when on a direct train only), PLUS the shortest route, PLUS mapped routes (see Routeing Guide), PLUS routes permitted by Easements, where applicable. A route may meet any of those conditions, just one needs to apply and it's valid. (ie, the shortest route may not be a mapped route, and a direct train is valid even if it takes a really long route such as Peterborough to London via Ipswich).

Example:
A Season ticket from York to Sheffield could be used for a journey from Cattal to Harrogate, or from Huddersfield to Penistone, or from Conisbrough to Sherburn-in-Elmet , etc...

Unlimited journeys can be made, starting/finishing short however you like.

If you wish to extend your season ticket, you need to buy from the last station your season is valid, and your train does not have to call at the station where you change from one ticket to the next. e.g. A London to Huntingdon season ticket holder can buy a day return from Huntingdon to Peterborough and get a East Coast service non-stop.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
Yorkie, it's not that difficult.;)

Having just re-read the first post I've noticed the key sentence that says he has a return ticket, so perhaps at this stage the stuff about seasons is not relevant. Therefore the key question is whether the return is an "Anytime" or an "Off-Peak". Given that you're commuting it's likely to be an "Anytime", but if your journey home is normally just after the evening peak period and the ticket is "Off-Peak" you might have to be careful. As you have a return it cannot be "Advance" so that counts those issues out.

So, as I understand it, in the morning you get a train from A to B which probably calls at C on the way. Is that right? On the way home there are no direct trains so you have to change at C. You finish work at a time where there is quite a long wait at B for a train with a minimal connection at C for onward travel to A. You don't want to (or can't) stay at work and would rather do the majority of the wait at C where the facilities are better. This is absolutely fine, UNLESS you have an "Off-Peak" ticket and the restrictions mean that you can't catch the earlier trains*. We will have to know the identities of A, B and C and the times involved plus your ticket type to be able to give a 100% correct answer, but in all probability it will be fine. As I said, if you ask for a two leg journey on the internet where the first leg service is more frequent than the second leg then it will give you the latest departure from your origin to connect with the second leg.

* or there are trains operated by more than one company on the route and you have an operator specific ticket.
 
Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,538
Location
Yorkshire
Yorkie, it's not that difficult.;)
Perhaps not but I can give real examples in less time that in takes to funny digest the relative positions of A, B and C!:)
Having just re-read the first post I've noticed the key sentence that says he has a return ticket, so perhaps at this stage the stuff about seasons is not relevant. Therefore the key question is whether the return is an "Anytime" or an "Off-Peak". Given that you're commuting it's likely to be an "Anytime", but if your journey home is normally just after the evening peak period and the ticket is "Off-Peak" you might have to be careful. As you have a return it cannot be "Advance" so that counts those issues out.
Well I take commuting to mean travelling on a regular basis, at least a few times a week, so a season is likely to be best. But, you're right, it may not be.
So, as I understand it, in the morning you get a train from A to B which probably calls at C on the way. Is that right? On the way home there are no direct trains so you have to change at C. You finish work at a time where there is quite a long wait at B for a train with a minimal connection at C for onward travel to A. You don't want to (or can't) stay at work and would rather do the majority of the wait at C where the facilities are better. This is absolutely fine, UNLESS you have an "Off-Peak" ticket and the restrictions mean that you can't catch the earlier trains. We will have to know the identities of A, B and C and the times involved plus your ticket type to be able to give a 100% correct answer, but in all probability it will be fine. As I said, if you ask for a two leg journey on the internet where the first leg service is more frequent than the second leg then it will give you the latest departure from your origin to connect with the second leg.
Yes, if an Off Peak ticket is being used, we need to know the details of the actual journey before being able to give an informed response. That said, it would probably fall foul of what I consider 'commuting' to mean, if that was the case!
 

chuckles1066

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2010
Messages
361
Sorry all, I managed to make my original question more convoluted that it needed to be :oops:

I have a season ticket for FGW between Patchway and Bath Spa valid on any permitted route.

The suggested return time from Bath to Patchway is at 36 mins past each hour in the evening (I believe it's the Paddington - Cardiff train) but it requires a change at Temple Meads. I tend to arrive at Bath at the top of the hour-ish, hence the half hour wait.

Hope that clarifies things?
 

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
That makes it very easy then! You are valid on any train between Patchway and Bath, and any intermediate station, and can get on or off anywhere along the way (probably not much use in the evenings - not many cosy cafes around Temple Meads - but could be of use if you need to travel into Bristol). There's a reason your Season costs so much - it's the most flexible ticket available!

NB as pointed out by yorkie and MikeWh you can travel on an earlier train with a normal return ticket, as long as it's not off-peak at peak time. With most ticket types you can also break your journey (i.e. leave the station) as much as you wish on the return leg (also on the outward in many cases).
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Sorry all, I managed to make my original question more convoluted that it needed to be :oops:

I have a season ticket for FGW between Patchway and Bath Spa valid on any permitted route.

The suggested return time from Bath to Patchway is at 36 mins past each hour in the evening (I believe it's the Paddington - Cardiff train) but it requires a change at Temple Meads. I tend to arrive at Bath at the top of the hour-ish, hence the half hour wait.

Hope that clarifies things?

Welcome tot he forum!

You will find you willg et a lot more quick replies if you make the question as simple as possible (not always easy!) and use real places. I must admit, I agree with yorkie. I read the question last night but the A, B and C business hurt my head so I didn't reply and left it until today!
 

chuckles1066

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2010
Messages
361
Welcome tot he forum!

You will find you willg et a lot more quick replies if you make the question as simple as possible (not always easy!) and use real places. I must admit, I agree with yorkie. I read the question last night but the A, B and C business hurt my head so I didn't reply and left it until today!

Well thanks to everyone who replied, I initially thought my post was clear but when I re-read it this morning I realised I'd over-egged the omelette :)

Lexyboy: you say expensive......I paid £134 for travel from 23rd Nov to 24th Dec, works out about a shade under £6 for each working day.......I couldn't drive to Bath and back for that so it's cost-effective (if slightly inconvenient for the waiting about) :D

Just as an aside, which made me smile but it shouldn't have.......a guy gets on the train tonight at Bath (American accent) and as we pull away he says to the passenger next to him "this one stops at Keynsham, right?".

Upon being informed that the train runs right through to Temple Meads he says "you're kidding me? I just came from there".

To cut a long story short, he's got on a train at Bristol, missed Keynsham because it doesn't stop there, jumped off at Bath, grabbed a train back towards Bristol (because he says a station member of staff told him it stopped at Keynsham) and ended up back in Bristol.

Happy days......
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Some season tickets provide excellent value when compared to the cost of driving back and forth and daily parking (if appropriate). Outside of the South East, the fares are particular good, but annual ticket hodlers don't get a Gold Card!
 

chuckles1066

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2010
Messages
361
Some season tickets provide excellent value when compared to the cost of driving back and forth and daily parking (if appropriate). Outside of the South East, the fares are particular good, but annual ticket hodlers don't get a Gold Card!

Ah, daily parking <(

Bristol Parkway - Bath would be my preferred trip but it's £6.90 a day to park at Bristol Parkway whereas parking at Patchway is free.

The downside is there's only one train per hour in and out of Patchway that will fulfill my travel requirements.

Whilst the Government allows such extortionate parking fees, I won't subscribe to the belief that they're actively promoting public transport......parking at Bristol Parkway costs me more than my ticket?!!?
 

premier01

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
459
Perhaps not but I can give real examples in less time that in takes to funny digest the relative positions of A, B and C!:)

Well I take commuting to mean travelling on a regular basis, at least a few times a week, so a season is likely to be best. But, you're right, it may not be.

Yes, if an Off Peak ticket is being used, we need to know the details of the actual journey before being able to give an informed response. That said, it would probably fall foul of what I consider 'commuting' to mean, if that was the case!

It made my head spin as well last night-maybe the beer : -)

Although I'm not usually 1 in a knowledgeable position to give advice just like reading the topics here.

 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Ah, daily parking <(

Bristol Parkway - Bath would be my preferred trip but it's £6.90 a day to park at Bristol Parkway whereas parking at Patchway is free.

The downside is there's only one train per hour in and out of Patchway that will fulfill my travel requirements.

Whilst the Government allows such extortionate parking fees, I won't subscribe to the belief that they're actively promoting public transport......parking at Bristol Parkway costs me more than my ticket?!!?

This is a strange one! For example, the idea behind introducing charges for hospital parking in Wales was to encourage people to elave the car home and take the bus to the hospital for appointments and visiting. Then there was a huge outcry about making the sick and ill pay for parking, so it was removed in most places!

Similarly, with station parking, I can't decide whether high charges are good or bad! It may depend on the location - Birstol parkway was designed to attract motorists form a wide catchemnt area, so it seems a bit daft, whereas in other locations it may be better to encourage other ways of getting to the station.

Also of course, free or very cheap parking can often be overrun with non railway users.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
Whilst the Government allows such extortionate parking fees, I won't subscribe to the belief that they're actively promoting public transport......parking at Bristol Parkway costs me more than my ticket?!!?
South Gloucestershire Council are currently building a Park and Ride next to Bristol Parkway station (just off Hunts Ground Road). When they started construction earlier in the year they announced that they planned to undercut the station parking charges, and it would cost £5 - so not that much cheaper.

I do consider it outrageous that parking at Bristol Parkway is charged for at all. I believe it was free when the station first opened. Charging for town/city centre station parking is fair enough for obvious reasons, but a station which is only realistically reachable by car unless you live nearby anyway is a bit much. Of course all the surrounding streets and car parks would be free anyway if it wasn't for the station charging as people would use the free facilities anyway (except possibly people with a nice car who are worried about damage). Saying that, it's now often very full so people will pay the price for it (I know I have done in the past). Funnily enough my Mum's office is right opposite Temple Meads and sometimes she gets to use the free parking space in the basement, so like today when family came to see me in London they drove to Temple Meads and caught the train despite the fact they live about 2km from Parkway and about 5 from Temple Meads!

I know the ex-West Midlands county uses Government money to subsidise free parking at many suburban stations; it's a bit of a postcode lottery as to whether you're lucky enough.

I don't know how close you live to Patchway station, but have you considered using Filton instead? There's a free car park provided by South Gloucestershire Council (but it gets full by 7.30am) or you can park on Nutfield Grove. Theres 2 trains per hour direct to Bath during the day and a further 2 trains per hour (3 in peaks) to Temple Meads - so 5tph peak/4tph off peak to Temple Meads.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Quite Right. Bristol parkway was built to get people out of their cars and off the motorway. As I said, it seems a bit daft to eb charging high fees for car parking there! Though there may be an argument for a small fee to reflect the better security that is there now compared to back int eh 1970's when it probably wasn't needed.
 

chuckles1066

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2010
Messages
361
I don't know how close you live to Patchway station, but have you considered using Filton instead? There's a free car park provided by South Gloucestershire Council (but it gets full by 7.30am) or you can park on Nutfield Grove. Theres 2 trains per hour direct to Bath during the day and a further 2 trains per hour (3 in peaks) to Temple Meads - so 5tph peak/4tph off peak to Temple Meads.

Filton Abbeywood?

Not a chance, MOD/Sun Alliance/mums on the school run to Abbeywood traffic means it'll take forever just to get to the station.

I can walk to Patchway station if needs be.

The Filton station I knew from years ago was in Conygre Grove but there doesn't seem to be access to it anymore, it's all barred off?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Of course all the surrounding streets and car parks would be free anyway if it wasn't for the station charging as people would use the free facilities anyway (except possibly people with a nice car who are worried about damage)

The closest you can freely park to Bristol Parkway is a ten minute walk but (a) do you want to do that walk in our climate? and (b) the local residents are notoriously hostile to commuter cars parked outside their houses and no-one seems to be able to explain the number of such cars that have experienced scratches all down one side.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,194
Location
0035
Filton Abbeywood?

Not a chance, MOD/Sun Alliance/mums on the school run to Abbeywood traffic means it'll take forever just to get to the station.

I can walk to Patchway station if needs be.
If it's that close and you're happy with it then carry on. I guess you must live along the other side of the ring road then. We're in BS7 so it's about a 7 minute drive or cycle to Filton station, then few min walk to the platform so it's quite convenient, and never any traffic.
 

chuckles1066

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2010
Messages
361
If it's that close and you're happy with it then carry on. I guess you must live along the other side of the ring road then. We're in BS7 so it's about a 7 minute drive or cycle to Filton station, then few min walk to the platform so it's quite convenient, and never any traffic.

Actually, I was a little hasty with my response.

The 5.36p.m from Bath Spa calls at Filton Abbeywood - it hasn't been an issue to me because I jump ship at Temple Meads and stand around in the cold for half an hour (if I'm lucky) before grabbing the 6.21p.m to Cardiff which calls at Patchway.

Now I'm beginning to think Filton Abbeywood is a better bet.........
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top