• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail Jobs - Should I stop before I Start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernBloke

Member
Joined
17 Aug 2012
Messages
7
I know you lads will be sick of newbies asking questions but if someone can address my situation I'd be grateful. I've tried going over stuff again but I'm still unsure if I have any chance of becoming a train driver, or just getting on the rails. The furthest I have gotten is a phone test for a Train Signaller last August, repeat the catch phrases etc..... I haven't applied for any more rail related jobs since.

My ideal situations are Driving freight around the country or regionally, Work on the office side of the rail or Work in a depot.

I don't have the funds to put myself through any schools. I do have my Foundation Degree in Computer Science and based in Tyneside. At the moment I'm unemployed and will have to settle for admin jobs. I just don't know if I have any chance of getting any job on the rails which is why I'm asking and if so could someone point me in the right direction or if I should just give up before I put in too much effort.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,566
You've got to be in it to win it!

It is frustrating getting knocked back but keep putting those forms in. I applied for countless rail industry jobs and got knocked back time and time again. I started applying when I was 16 and finally got in when I was 22. Keep checking the careers sections of TOCs, freight companies and Network Rail. Don't let the rejections get you down. Good luck!
 

Eduardo

Member
Joined
7 Jun 2011
Messages
83
Hi mate,

Nothing wrong with being a newbie. We have all been one at some point. :D

In answer to your thread title, there is only one person who can realistically answer that.

If you want something bad enough, like many on here, then you have to do everything you possibly can to get it.

In the rail industry, competition is fierce. Many fighting for the same job. Especially driving.

You'll have to make yourself stand out from the crowd, who will also be wanting the job at the application stage.

I'm part way through the process myself, and I'll keep at it for as long as I have my two driver assessment 'lives' still intact.:|

You've come to a good place for information. There are many members on here who work all over the rail infrastructure and will provide lots of helpful advice.

Start by looking through some old threads, especially those that relate to the areas you are interested in.

You'll find the same questions come up again and again, so have a browse.

Be positive in your approach and don't assume you'll fail.

Good luck with whatever you decide.8-)
 

ash39

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2012
Messages
1,524
If you're asking the question,then probably yes.

Thousands apply for each role as you know, so you can't afford to be negative. You need to go into each application with the mindset you're going to be successful. Otherwise you may as well chuck the towel in straight away.

Having said that, I haven't yet managed to get in either so feel free to ignore my advice!

Good luck finding a job, even if not on the railway. I'm sure it's not a nice position to be in.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top