I'm losing the logic a bit here. Are you saying, let's not rock the boat, we know how to get the cheapest fares, but as long as it doesn't get out to the general travelling public, the TOCs won't mind, so there are always going to be better deals available for the knowledgeable few than for the great unwashed masses?
Just to clarify things, guys.
Your quote refereed to the issue of ticket office staff not being obliged to offer splits, that is
completely separate to the issue of wanting to keep cheaper fares secret (which was touched on in clagmonster's reply to you).
Isn't that the same thing? Fares will go up if everyone knows the tricks - so let's keep them in the dark?
It's actually a very complex issue, and deserves a thread of it's own.
A very short answer would be that in some cases there is a strong possibility of your fear being realised, in others there is no possibility, but for most it would be somewhere in between. Also a fare does not have to go up for a loophole to be plugged.
That's not the main issue though, is it? It may be the issue for TOCs and ticket office staff, but they are not the customers, and the railway isn't run for the benefit of the staff (hopefully).
Again a very complex issue, deserving of a thread of it's own I'd say.
In short the
railway is run for the benefit of passengers, and even society in general. But the
TOCs themselves are run for the benefit of shareholders. The franchises exist for the benefit of customers but people who run them have to look after their shareholders first.
Some might argue that such a system is fundamentally flawed.
Ticketing is complex, I am not sure if the price the flow if the get more ORCATs. Bristol - Birmingham may be priced by xc. Splitting at Cheltenham may result in more orcats to FGW if they get a greater share of the ticket as lead operator in the flow.
ORCATS distributes revenue by predicting passenger numbers based on the timetable, according to everything I've ever read about it.
So
if 100% of Bristol - Birmingham passengers are predicted to use XC, then XC would get 100% of revenue, as far as I know based on what I've read. However
if only 70% of Cheltenham - Bristol passengers are predicted to use XC, then XC lose out on the remaining 30% as well as losing out on the overall fare being lower.
On the other hand...
The other thing is that the split may make the journey affordable so some revenue is better than none. Example is CDR split at stamford rather than by the off-peak Peterborough - Birmingham.
...I agree, some passengers would refuse to travel by train at the ridiculously inflated through fare (and I would be one of them) so it's easy for the TOCs to moan about loss of revenue, but you can almost guarantee they will take all the passengers doing splits for granted and won't be considering the possibility that these people may refuse to be ripped off and not travel.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't doubt that. But there are no guarantees that the person you share the information with privately won't subsequently share it publicly. You can ask them not to, but you can't force them.
True but if they do, they may well be spoiling it for everyone else! People may be reluctant to share gems with them again.
Where do you draw the line?
That's subjective!
Well known anomalies/loopholes are OK?
If they're already well-known then you can't keep them a secret!
But less well known aren't?
Depends! I'd say that Newcastle-Carlisle via Leeds is an example of one that was quite useful that arguably should not have been revealed to Northern/ATOC in the way that it was (and the person who did it, while I won't criticise him, did spoil it for a lot of people and people have their own views on that!) and is one that really should have been sent via PM and people should have used it responsibly and carrying a copy of the relevant maps (some people did this with success in the early days!). It did take about a year for Northern to get ATOC to remove it though, and it took about a further year or two for it to be removed in the opposite direction! But sometimes ATOC can work a lot quicker than that.
If I reply publicly to a query with a little known loophole, do I get moderated?
No, but people may not be best pleased if it almost immediately gets withdrawn meaning no-one can use it!
