• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail commuter, 25, "slapped and racially abused a security guard"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
So the court says. But do you think we should have skipped the trial and moved directly to sentencing?
Well, it would have saved time and expense <D

It shows that sometimes the CPS (and newspaper reporters) can get it right...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Do people have a superiority complex for being in possession of a season ticket?!
Some do!
 

amateur

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2014
Messages
487
Well, it would have saved time and expense <D

It shows that sometimes the CPS (and newspaper reporters) can get it right...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Some do!

How can you tell they have a "superiority complex"?!
 
Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,947
Location
UK
I've been on trains where multiple checks have taken place (guard, new guard after change of guard, then a revenue team). Often people sigh at the fact they're showing a ticket for the third time, perhaps four after showing before boarding (and then maybe later when they leave their destination) but usually people comply.

However, I've seen (as I am sure others have) some people getting shirty about having to show their ticket again.. even though they have one and are travelling perfectly legitimately.
 

Flamingo

Established Member
Joined
26 Apr 2010
Messages
6,806
How can you tell they have a "superiority complex"?!

Well, I'm not a psychologist, so I'm loath to diagnose any complex or condition, but there are a (thankfully small) proportion of passengers who make a point of showing their displeasure (either verbally or non-verbally) along with showing their ticket. I may not be able to diagnose, but I know rude when I am on the receiving end of it.

An example can be the individual who has to be individually asked to show their ticket despite one having checked the three other people at the table, the individual who "flashes" the ticket so fast that it is impossible to see is it a ticket or a library card, let alone stations, date and / or photocard and gets very unhappy at being asked to show it again, the individual who is VERY slow taking the ticket out after being asked, the individual who literally shoves the ticket into one's face (a speciality of those standing in First Class on a STD class ticket, for some reason), I'm sure the other guards/RPI's on here will be able to add to the stereotypes I've forgotten.

Some people are just rude and nasty, and the fact they have bought a ticket does not make them any less rude and nasty.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Did anyone ever claim that they never "get it right"?!

Well post #2 indicates that the poster didnt really trust the story so asked for another source so, yes.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
Do people have a superiority complex for being in possession of a season ticket?!

It's not necessarily the fact that they have a season ticket per se (or any other kind of ticket for that matter).

It may be that they feel superior because they see rail staff, and most of the other passengers are beneath them because of what they do or the amount that they earn. It might even be the fact that they went to a certain school or university that helps contribute to feeling superior, and when you have all of these things combined, there's a much great chance, in my view, that the person concerned will feel superior to many others, even if they are gracious and polite!

Then there are those who are just not very nice people as well!
 

amateur

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2014
Messages
487
It's not necessarily the fact that they have a season ticket per se (or any other kind of ticket for that matter).

It may be that they feel superior because they see rail staff, and most of the other passengers are beneath them because of what they do or the amount that they earn. It might even be the fact that they went to a certain school or university that helps contribute to feeling superior, and when you have all of these things combined, there's a much great chance, in my view, that the person concerned will feel superior to many others, even if they are gracious and polite!

Then there are those who are just not very nice people as well!

Ok. I'm with you. I imagine there are some passengers who turn their nose down on "ticket inspectors". Just like people turn their nose down at shop or retail staff.
 

matt_world2004

Established Member
Joined
5 Nov 2014
Messages
4,581
Sometimes if there is disruption to the service you will get people who will try and engage in civil disobedience to male their displeasure known.This can escalate into into violence and conflict.

For example I was working on a heavily disrupted London bus once and I had a member of London Underground staff spit at me. Even though that is a huge risk to their job. Few weeks later saw them working a gateline at a tube station. Didn't say anything just played really dumb when it came to the ticket barrier.
 

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Jun 2014
Messages
14,671
I've been on trains where multiple checks have taken place (guard, new guard after change of guard, then a revenue team). Often people sigh at the fact they're showing a ticket for the third time, perhaps four after showing before boarding (and then maybe later when they leave their destination) but usually people comply.

However, I've seen (as I am sure others have) some people getting shirty about having to show their ticket again.. even though they have one and are travelling perfectly legitimately.

My record, on a Penzance to Paddington train, was five times on board. but none at the beginning or end of the journey. Funnily enough, evening peak out of Paddington, usually only once or twice, sometimes nonce.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,947
Location
UK
Ok. I'm with you. I imagine there are some passengers who turn their nose down on "ticket inspectors". Just like people turn their nose down at shop or retail staff.

Never look down on anyone is a good way to live life. Okay, if someone is rude and obnoxious, or is trying to con you, then you can perhaps be less polite - but revenue inspectors are trying to protect your money as well as theirs, so I can't see why people get upset.

It's as if they're upset that anyone would dare ask to see a ticket as it implies there's a thought they may not have one. But asking to see some ID, a ticket or whatever is a way of life.
 

EssexCommuter

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2014
Messages
54
I don't have a problem with being asked to show my ticket, but it is rather irritating seeing inspectors standing in the vestibules before stations without barriers then checking tickets before stations with barriers. Seems rather pointless. I do often 'accidentally' show an expired ticket. Not been noticed once (I always have a valid ticket).

I also recently told my TOC about repeated fare avoidance at the London Terminal but they made up excuses for it. Unbelievable. No wonder passnegers get annoyed.
 

Master29

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2015
Messages
1,970
It's not necessarily the fact that they have a season ticket per se (or any other kind of ticket for that matter).

It may be that they feel superior because they see rail staff, and most of the other passengers are beneath them because of what they do or the amount that they earn. It might even be the fact that they went to a certain school or university that helps contribute to feeling superior, and when you have all of these things combined, there's a much great chance, in my view, that the person concerned will feel superior to many others, even if they are gracious and polite!

Then there are those who are just not very nice people as well!

I wonder if there is a thread here entitled (excuse pun) train snobbery. I think we can all suffer with a bit of that from time to time. It does feel good sometimes when I`ve had my ticket clipped. The satisfying sound of a clipped ticket can give a small endorphin rush maybe. I also look down on people who arrive late at stations. I find that irritating, much like the wallies who crowd Paddington bound trains at Reading.
 

GodAtum

On Moderation
Joined
11 Dec 2009
Messages
2,684
I'm always friendly to the staff as I have gotten to know some of them on my regular trains.
As master29 mentioned, I do think there is train snobbery. I'm sure some london commuters look down on people going the other way for example.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,947
Location
UK
It is not a good thing to "accidentally" do this. You are not there in any capacity but a passenger and most certainly there not to monitor staff performance.

I wouldn't say I used to accidentally show the wrong ticket, rather deliberately did - on account of having two Gold card seasons (split ticketing).

I had one ticket behind the other, so showed the front one - which was often the wrong ticket. But I learned in many, many years that if you show a gold card they let you pass regardless of origin/destination. I guess they're checking the date and maybe the photo/ID as quick as they can (perhaps the last digit or something).

It's perhaps why there's the other thread here about season ticket fraud, which is hardly surprising because such a valuable ticket should at least occasionally be examined closely (maybe even removed from its wallet).

But boy would the passengers go mental if that happened, or if people were picked randomly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top