• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Rail atlas of Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
Can anyone recommend a good rail atlas of Germany? I'm toying with the idea of doing an InterRail trip to Germany and I've realised that my railway geography of Germany is very poor so some sort of map might be in order to help me come up with a plan.

Thanks :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oscar

Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
11 Feb 2010
Messages
1,152
Location
Switzerland
How much detail do you want? This atlas is recommended by various German railway companies and may suit you if you are looking for something detailed. Remember that specialist literature in Germany is often very expensive. This is a cheaper (but I believe less detailed) alternative. Hopefully someone who owns one of these atlases will be able to comment.
 
Last edited:

Chris999999

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2010
Messages
238
I own both. They are very different. The European rail map is very useful for long distance travel, route planning etc, whereas the Eisenbahnatlas is very detailed and for Germany it is a very large book - not something I would ever take on a journey.

The European rail map is available on CD as a PDF so I carry this on my phone.
The latest editions of the Eisenbahnatlas are only available as books. There is an earlier version available on CD which I own. I can then select which 'bits' of Germany I need.

You need to define what your real requirements are.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
The European rail atlas sounds the ticket as I just want to be planning routes, I have no need/desire to have a highly detailed atlas of Germany. Basically a railway version of the kind of road map you'd keep in your car, if you follow my drift.
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
I find the European Rail Atlas mentioned to be extremely useful, even though (as Oscar points out) it has its limitations. I purchased the entire Atlas on CD a couple of years ago, and I find the beauty of this is that I can print out copies of the pages for the particular country I'm visiting and take them with me without the need to lug a whole book on the holiday.
 

Oscar

Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
11 Feb 2010
Messages
1,152
Location
Switzerland
It must be said that the European Rail Atlas as a book is also very concise and very lightweight. I understand that the Eisenbahnatlas is essentially somewhere between a track map and a detailed plan of the German network whereas the European Rail Atlas is a generic overview of the European rail network.
 
Joined
1 Apr 2012
Messages
426
Location
Leeds
The European rail atlas sounds the ticket as I just want to be planning routes, I have no need/desire to have a highly detailed atlas of Germany. Basically a railway version of the kind of road map you'd keep in your car, if you follow my drift.

I didn't use a rail atlas to plan my trip to Germany in August/September this year.For example, as a rule of thumb, it take 100 minutes to travel from Hamburg to Berlin. It's approximately 6 hours from Berlin to Munich. Both trips were accomplished on ICE trains. You'll enjoy the experience. PM me if there's anything you think I can help with?
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,123
Location
Redcar
Thanks for all the suggestions. Those maps on the DB website look like they might be quite useful.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top