BR did have most of these things, but as internal departments. Standard pay rates, section heads and one Board. The City must have been pig-sick!
I don't think there is any argument that PFI is bankrupting the public services it has been applied to, If you had the choice would you live in a house that someone else controlled when it could have been yours (or was originally)?
Why must the current way be the only way? Are you afraid of publicly-financed infrastructure, or afraid of missing the gravy-train? It would only be a penny or two on income tax (and cracking down on evasion.)
"Those who do not learn from history are doomed"... to repeat the pre-Victorian errors!
What people remember of The Good Old Days isn't much use as a template for what a publicly owned a twenty first century railway could be like, since the game has changed significantly since then.
Look at the NHS or the BBC or other (quasi) public sector organisations. Look at not-for-profit housing associations or the Co-op even.
I'm certainly not defending PFI, just explaining that any Government that forced schools/ hospitals/ prisons etc to use it would insist on a publicly owned railway doing the same (and having the same wage caps/ recruitment freezes/ pension reforms etc).
Government can use Austerity to hit things it controls. It can't use Austerity to hit Stagecoach/ DB/ First/ Abellio because they have lawyers and will fight back (in a way that redundant librarians won't).
Am I "afraid of publicly-financed infrastructure"? I'll be honest, I thought the move from Railtrack to Network Rail was a great one and would solve most of the railway's problems. After the reality of fifteen years of afraid of publicly-financed infrastructure, I'm less convinced that being "public" has solved things. Look at the delays, the overspends, the malaise... now tell me that you want our TOCs to be more like Network Rail?
Not convinced.