• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

RAF ATC to Network Rail Signalman

Status
Not open for further replies.

8137

New Member
Joined
1 Dec 2015
Messages
3
I am in the process of applying to be a signalman. I was formerly an Air Traffic Controller in the Royal Air Force. Is there anyone else on the forum that has a similar background and is already a signalman or is currently applying? If so, how have you found the transition? Are there many similarities?
Thanks very much for any help anyone can give.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nom de guerre

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2015
Messages
801
One of my colleagues has exactly that background. He moved from RAF ATC to a small, single-manned box and then to our current location.

Similarities? Well, the purpose of signalling is to maintain safe separation between trains - we just use different tools. I imagine you'll be used to working in a highly-regulated environment, maintaining vigilance, making decisions under pressure, using safety critical comms, managing incidents, working shifts...
 

fabs

Member
Joined
22 Apr 2014
Messages
121
I know of two ex Area Radar who went signaller, one with NR the other with LU. Both seemed to transition well. If you like PM me with how he can get in touch. Can’t promise though as I haven’t asked him yet.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top