• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

R T C G B I V Railtour

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Is anyone on this forum going on the 8 night RTC GB IV Round Britain Railtour, hauled mainly by steam from 16-24 April? All being well I am booked on it and looking forward to it, hope it all runs ok to plan. :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EltonRoad

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2009
Messages
1,029
Location
Kendal
Good luck, keep us posted! I'm not going on it but have been following the plans as they have developed since the original itinerary! Should be cool doing steam from Wick to Penzance. Not to mention steam on the Kyle line. There are quite a few photos of last year's Kyle trip on Railway Herald imaging centre, looks incredible.
 

Spam Can

Member
Joined
1 Apr 2011
Messages
68
Location
morecambe bay
a Castle from Preston..you lucky people!! (Keep an eye out between Carnforth & Lancaster on the Thursday when you should pass Nunnery Castle coming north to the old Steamtown for overnight stabling-I'll be on Lancaster station, 7.00am Good Friday to catch her going south)!
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Good luck, keep us posted! I'm not going on it but have been following the plans as they have developed since the original itinerary! Should be cool doing steam from Wick to Penzance. Not to mention steam on the Kyle line. There are quite a few photos of last year's Kyle trip on Railway Herald imaging centre, looks incredible.

Yes I am looking forward to it, mind you not quite sure what to do during an almost 2 hour waterstop at Kingussie in the Highlands, not sure how far that station is from a pub that does food at lunch time?
 

EltonRoad

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2009
Messages
1,029
Location
Kendal
I've recently stayed at Kingussie (fortunate!) and can confirm that there is a pub right next to the station where I had three very good evening meals. Not sure whether they do lunch, but there's bound to be somewhere in the town that will. It's walking distance from the station.
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
I've recently stayed at Kingussie (fortunate!) and can confirm that there is a pub right next to the station where I had three very good evening meals. Not sure whether they do lunch, but there's bound to be somewhere in the town that will. It's walking distance from the station.

OH, Ok, Thanks very much for info.
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Good luck, keep us posted! I'm not going on it but have been following the plans as they have developed since the original itinerary! Should be cool doing steam from Wick to Penzance. Not to mention steam on the Kyle line. There are quite a few photos of last year's Kyle trip on Railway Herald imaging centre, looks incredible.

HI, Now on Day 6 of this fantastic tour, most timings been very good, now in Preston after great time in and around Scotland including Wick to Inverness halued by 2 locos and Inv to Kyle & back by Great Marquess. Good company and hotels, plenty of good wine and beer too. Looking forward now to going to Bristol then to Penzance via the Dawlish Sea Wall. If they do this trip again, I do advise you to go on it.
 

EltonRoad

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2009
Messages
1,029
Location
Kendal
Seen some photos - liked the headboard that the Black Fives were carrying - "Riley's Whisky Chaser" or something!

Saw one photo of the Kyle trip, looks like there was blue sky at least. Not envious, at all. Out of interest, how did the K4 perform on the trip?

I'll be in Shrewsbury tomorrow, but sadly not in time to see the tour passing through. Have a good one!
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Seen some photos - liked the headboard that the Black Fives were carrying - "Riley's Whisky Chaser" or something!

Saw one photo of the Kyle trip, looks like there was blue sky at least. Not envious, at all. Out of interest, how did the K4 perform on the trip?

I'll be in Shrewsbury tomorrow, but sadly not in time to see the tour passing through. Have a good one!

Tks, Yes that was a good headboard that day. The weather has been great throughout the trip and the Loco on the Kyle trip performed very well, even up the steep bank from a stop at Garve. In Preston now, just about to get the train to Bristol and Saturday to Penzance, so will have been all the way from Wick to Penz, all being well by Steam. A great trip. Rgds Steve.
 

ACE1888

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2011
Messages
823
Location
Penzance, Cornwall
Cornish timings, due Penzance 15.44, WCR 47 takes train back 17.15, steam locomotives depart Pz 18.05 for St Blazey, leaving Plymouth 13.30 by the way!
 

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Joined
31 Jul 2010
Messages
4,001
Cornish timings, due Penzance 15.44, WCR 47 takes train back 17.15, steam locomotives depart Pz 18.05 for St Blazey, leaving Plymouth 13.30 by the way!

Now back from this wonderful tour, the best running I think was on Sat from Plymouth to Penzance where we went in front of a late running FGW IC 125, we left Ply on time at 1330 and arrive well ahead of shedule at about 1510. We went Non Stop by steam traction for that sector taking just 1 hour & 40 Minutes, I think the normal time they allow for main line scheduled diesel train is about 2 hours....Anyway it was a great run and the whole trip was very good indeed. I think they are running it again next April with a few slight changes, if you anyone gets the chance, do go on it....It will be interesting to see how the Steam Dreams 1 week tour operates later this week, sadly I am not on that one, but if anyone is, I hope you have a great a time on that as I did on GB IV. The trains, Locos and staff all great. Many tks for a super trip.... (Only bad point was when I got back home, I found my job of 21 years had gone into administarion & I am jobless! Just working out what to do and how to sign on etc.)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top