• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quintinshall railway station query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,484
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
RAILSCOT says there was some type of a station here at one time under the aegis of the Caledonian Railway, but I am wondering if it was only a goods station.

If anyone can assist with more details of exactly what was there, with opening and closing dates and if a goods station, any information on what type of equipment were used, I would be most grateful. A recent medical setback means that, at the present time, I cannot delve in my usual manner to obtain the required information.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2010
Messages
2,003
Location
Kent
RAILSCOT says there was some type of a station here at one time under the aegis of the Caledonian Railway, but I am wondering if it was only a goods station.

If anyone can assist with more details of exactly what was there, with opening and closing dates and if a goods station, any information on what type of equipment were used, I would be most grateful. A recent medical setback means that, at the present time, I cannot delve in my usual manner to obtain the required information.

I cannot find any record of either passenger or goods station at Quintinshill.
 

Johnuk123

Established Member
Joined
19 Mar 2012
Messages
2,800
If there ever was a station there it must have been very short lived and very long ago.
I don't think there has ever been a station between Gretna and Kirkpatrick.
 

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,787
Location
St Albans
None of my railway atlases shows a station there. Various books on railway accidents when describing the 1915 accident only explain that running loops had been put in about 1.5 miles north of Gretna a while before WW1. Various stations on the CR and Glasgow and SW Rlwy in the vicinity are mentioned but there is never a mention of a station there. So the evidence is fairly overwhelming to say there wasn't a station at Quintinshill.

(Looking at a modern-day map Quintinshill seems to be a very small hamlet - the nearest village is Gretna Green and nearest town is Gretna - there was a G&SW station at Gretna Green anyway. So I can't see any logical reason for a station at Quintinshill.)
 

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,787
Location
St Albans
Paul - is it possible that the Caledonian referred to signal boxes as 'stations' in the same way that the Midland often referred to a 'Junction' when it was just a passing loop or the like?
 

madannie77

Member
Joined
12 May 2009
Messages
431
Location
The Station Garden of Eden
...

(Looking at a modern-day map Quintinshill seems to be a very small hamlet - the nearest village is Gretna Green and nearest town is Gretna - there was a G&SW station at Gretna Green anyway. So I can't see any logical reason for a station at Quintinshill.)

Logic did not necessarily come into the building of stations. Gretna Green was a G & SW station, whereas Quintinshill was on the Caledonian. Given the rivalries that used to exist it would not be beyond the realms of possibility for the Caledonian to have built a station and called it something along the lines of Quintinshill for Gretna Green or Gretna Green Road.

None of the books & maps I have to hand mention a station, so I assume that for once logic did prevail.

The other thing to remember is that the township of Gretna did not exist until WW1, so traffic potential would have been rather low.
 

Foxcote

Member
Joined
16 Jan 2014
Messages
67
Location
Wrexham
I have a RCH official handbook of stations dated 1938. In that book under Gretna, is the following entry; Quintinshill. County Dumfries, LMS(Cal), located between Gretna and Kirkpatrick. Station accommodation "G" for Goods and "L" for. Livestock.
However, No indications for Horse Boxes, Prize Cattle Vans, Furniture Vans or carriages etc.
I'm unsure what a Prize Cattle Van is, but presume that normal cattle wagons could be dealt with. They would have carried cattle,
sheep, pigs, goats or similar loads. Such vehicles could be divided into two or three compartments to carry mixed loads.
 

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
35,484
Location
A typical commuter-belt part of north-west England
I have a RCH official handbook of stations dated 1938. In that book under Gretna, is the following entry; Quintinshill. County Dumfries, LMS(Cal), located between Gretna and Kirkpatrick. Station accommodation "G" for Goods and "L" for. Livestock. However, No indications for Horse Boxes, Prize Cattle Vans, Furniture Vans or carriages etc.

I'm unsure what a Prize Cattle Van is, but presume that normal cattle wagons could be dealt with. They would have carried cattle, sheep, pigs, goats or similar loads. Such vehicles could be divided into two or three compartments to carry mixed loads.

I am most grateful to you for this extremely well documented and fully informative posting which does indeed confirm my suspicions as to the exact nature of what any railway property would be in this location.
 

madannie77

Member
Joined
12 May 2009
Messages
431
Location
The Station Garden of Eden
I have a RCH official handbook of stations dated 1938. In that book under Gretna, is the following entry; Quintinshill. County Dumfries, LMS(Cal), located between Gretna and Kirkpatrick. Station accommodation "G" for Goods and "L" for. Livestock.
However, No indications for Horse Boxes, Prize Cattle Vans, Furniture Vans or carriages etc.
I'm unsure what a Prize Cattle Van is, but presume that normal cattle wagons could be dealt with. They would have carried cattle,
sheep, pigs, goats or similar loads. Such vehicles could be divided into two or three compartments to carry mixed loads.

Now why did I not think to look under Gretna!

In the 1956 handbook of stations it is listed as Quintinshill Siding (Public) and is G* only (coal, mineral and S to S traffic in truck loads) - no livestock by then.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top