• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quietest Yorkshire - London services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
I’ve got an appointment coming up in London next month. I’m considering taking the train, as driving for such a large amount of time is going to play havoc with me. I’ve been shielding for the last twelve or so weeks. Any ideas which York/Leeds to Kings Cross services seem to be quiet at the moment? I know things may change in the next four weeks now the 1m+ rule takes effect at some point.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
All of them are quiet at the moment due to compulsory reservations being required and available reservations being set at something like 12% of available seats.
 

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
All of them are quiet at the moment due to compulsory reservations being required and available reservations being set at something like 12% of available seats.
That doesn’t really help me though. I’m thinking about services where you might be the only traveller in a carriage.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
That doesn’t really help me though. I’m thinking about services where you might be the only traveller in a carriage.


how is anyone supposed to know that in an evolving situation? By the time you travel the government will have changed the rules 17 times! Book a first class ticket for more space, wear a mask. That's about all that can be done. Passenger numbers are inching back up so you may not be the only passenger. I think just trying to take sensible precautions is all you can do.

EDIT: Hand sanitizer also sensible.
 

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
how is anyone supposed to know that in an evolving situation? By the time you travel the government will have changed the rules 17 times! Book a first class ticket for more space, wear a mask. That's about all that can be done. Passenger numbers are inching back up so you may not be the only passenger. I think just trying to take sensible precautions is all you can do.

EDIT: Hand sanitizer also sensible.

Did you read the point I said I know things may change in the next four weeks? If the quietest services are that, then you would hope that in 4 weeks they would be one of the quieter services.
 

RailWonderer

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2018
Messages
2,219
Location
All around the network
I wouldn't worry about reservations being compulsory. I went to Bath two weeks ago for a one off during the lockdown and the boards at Paddington said 'reservations not available for this service' for all departures despite the websites saying reservations were compulsory.
If you have time go to King's Cross or York or wherever you're departing from and check the loadings of the train when it arrives/departs before the day of your journey. Otherwise get Seatfrog and upgrade to first for cheap.
 

jfisher21

Member
Joined
21 Mar 2011
Messages
218
I might go for one of the York starters in the middle of the day, it will be empty at York. Say the 1202 or 1403.
 

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
32,939
Location
Fenny Stratford
Did you read the point I said I know things may change in the next four weeks? If the quietest services are that, then you would hope that in 4 weeks they would be one of the quieter services.

I read absolutely everything you wrote, thanks. I maintain: How is anyone supposed to know? Many more people will be back to work and many more will need to travel. I am not sure you can make an assessment based on today beyond avoiding the obvious times when trains have been traditionally busy. If you have to travel then you book a seat and go with it. No other option.

I might go for one of the York starters in the middle of the day, it will be empty at York. Say the 1202 or 1403.


The OP is in Leeds. Might have to change onto one at Doncaster
 
Last edited:

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,981
Location
Airedale
I’ve got an appointment coming up in London next month. I’m considering taking the train, as driving for such a large amount of time is going to play havoc with me. I’ve been shielding for the last twelve or so weeks. Any ideas which York/Leeds to Kings Cross services seem to be quiet at the moment? I know things may change in the next four weeks now the 1m+ rule takes effect at some point.
Has the hospital confirmed yet that the appointment will be face to face?
If they are not aware that you are shielding, I would contact them to check; if they are, I would expect them to be offering an alternative (my wife has just had her consultant on the phone - I appreciate that may not be feasible for your condition).
 

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
Has the hospital confirmed yet that the appointment will be face to face?
If they are not aware that you are shielding, I would contact them to check; if they are, I would expect them to be offering an alternative (my wife has just had her consultant on the phone - I appreciate that may not be feasible for your condition).
It’s a surgical theatre appointment, so will likely be faced mask time face mask.
 

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
I read absolutely everything you wrote, thanks. I maintain: How is anyone supposed to know? Many more people will be back to work and many more will need to travel. I am not sure you can make an assessment based on today beyond avoiding the obvious times when trains have been traditionally busy. If you have to travel then you book a seat and go with it. No other option.




The OP is in Leeds. Might have to change onto one at Doncaster

No, but you could logically follow the idea that quietest trains now will continue to be quieter than other services later.
 

Bayum

Established Member
Joined
21 Mar 2008
Messages
3,298
Location
Leeds
I might go for one of the York starters in the middle of the day, it will be empty at York. Say the 1202 or 1403.
Thank you. I had considered the York starters, as they’re what I’ve caught in the past. Park at a colleague’s house in Acomb and return later. I might just have to wait until a fortnight beforehand and see if there’s any way LNER can identify how busy a train is by the number of reservations.
 

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Sep 2010
Messages
35,942
Numbers are picking up rapidly, albeit from a low base. Personally, I expect long distance travel to pick up significantly now that social distancing is being reduced to “1 metre, sort of” and now that people are allowed to stay away from home overnight and hotels are open etc.

So, The current state of trains may well be completely different to that in 2-3 weeks, and it doesn’t follow that quiet trains now will be quiet then.

My guess is that the quietest trains will be those usually used by office commuters and business travellers, as these people are less likely to be travelling. Therefore a Train arriving London between 0830-1000.
 

cle

Established Member
Joined
17 Nov 2010
Messages
5,659
Buy an open ticket, and decide/disembark for yourself?
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
They can be provided by the ticket office shortly before departure, obviously if available, can't they?

Yes they can, or they are available online up to 5 minutes before departure. However if all the reservations are taken (bearing in mind the greatly reduced capacity, then you can't travel.
 

mpthomson

Established Member
Joined
18 Feb 2016
Messages
1,384
That doesn’t really help me though. I’m thinking about services where you might be the only traveller in a carriage.


I live right next to the ECML just south of York. All the LNER trains that I see are still basically carting around fresh air and many have no passengers or just one or two in some/most of the carriages. General business travel is basically non-existent at the moment.
 

hozza94

Member
Joined
10 Jan 2012
Messages
109
Location
London
I would guess a lot of companies that routinely have staff traveling across the country still have most, if not all staff working from home.

For example, I work for a large engineering consultancy. All our offices are still shut and everyone working from home, with a blanket ban on travel (domestic and international). We usually have a lot of people traveling on LNER and Crosscountry service due to our presence in Southampton, Yorkshire, and Midlands, alongside our office in London. It's currently at almost 0 with only our site colleagues not working in their homes.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,318
I’ve got an appointment coming up in London next month. I’m considering taking the train, as driving for such a large amount of time is going to play havoc with me. I’ve been shielding for the last twelve or so weeks. Any ideas which York/Leeds to Kings Cross services seem to be quiet at the moment? I know things may change in the next four weeks now the 1m+ rule takes effect at some point.
I've not seen LNER services but another option, if you don't mind the slow journey - is using the occasional EMR HST services from Leeds to St P and back in eves, if the times suited. Or using them for one way. They are lightly loaded. I was on one St P to Derby the other eve, just me and one other person in the front carriage, and then just him as he was going on to Sheffield.

And the EMR services are not 'reservation compulsory' tho with no on board checks who would know (as it happened I did pop into the ticket office to get a reservation on the specific train I wanted juts to avoid any hassle if some rule change was suddenly implemented). Do LNER actually check and enforce their reservation system, or just hope passengers honour it?

Given the widespread changes on July 4th in England it's hard to see that the railways will be able to sustain such policies.
 
Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,329
Location
Bolton
Yes they can, or they are available online up to 5 minutes before departure. However if all the reservations are taken (bearing in mind the greatly reduced capacity, then you can't travel.
If they were all taken I think that the OP would know the train wasn't going to meet their aspirations for low loading.
 

YorksLad12

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2020
Messages
2,719
Location
Leeds
I’ve got an appointment coming up in London next month. I’m considering taking the train, as driving for such a large amount of time is going to play havoc with me. I’ve been shielding for the last twelve or so weeks. Any ideas which York/Leeds to Kings Cross services seem to be quiet at the moment? I know things may change in the next four weeks now the 1m+ rule takes effect at some point.

In a different thread I estimated 7 people in a standard Azuma carriage, assuming optimal spacing. The chances of being the only person in the carriage are slim I'm afraid

It can be odd sometimes: from the Leeds the 0945 can be busier than the 0845. I'd say that mid-morning (1015 to 1145) or mid-afternoon (1345 to 1515) are your best bets, based on my own experience. Also, don't go with the default reservations if booking through the LNER website, assuming they still allow you to change your seat. From memory they book you into C and G first if a nine-car Azuma, B and A tended to be quieter as people don't wait to board in those carriages. C and D go first in a 225, B and E/F are quieter (but E & F are near the centre).

As ever, this is my experience; other posters' experiences will vary. And good luck.
 

43094

Member
Joined
19 May 2010
Messages
1,009
One of the Leeds services. There have been occasional examples of trains running at (current) full capacity, but with the exception of the first one from York and first one from Leeds, they’ve so far been Anglo-Scottish services.

The Leeds services are split into a 1tph/2tph split at the moment - pick one of the ones in the 2tph. First Class in the middle of the day may be your best bet.

Almost all Leeds services are 9/10-car at the moment. Coach C is unreserved on most services.

I wouldn’t pick a York starter, as they call all stations so are the ones used most for local hops.
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
In a different thread I estimated 7 people in a standard Azuma carriage, assuming optimal spacing. The chances of being the only person in the carriage are slim I'm afraid

It can be odd sometimes: from the Leeds the 0945 can be busier than the 0845. I'd say that mid-morning (1015 to 1145) or mid-afternoon (1345 to 1515) are your best bets, based on my own experience. Also, don't go with the default reservations if booking through the LNER website, assuming they still allow you to change your seat. From memory they book you into C and G first if a nine-car Azuma, B and A tended to be quieter as people don't wait to board in those carriages. C and D go first in a 225, B and E/F are quieter (but E & F are near the centre).

As ever, this is my experience; other posters' experiences will vary. And good luck.

That's changed on 16th June, as they now allocated based on social distances randomly through the train, not like they used to C, G etc
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,385
One of the Leeds services. There have been occasional examples of trains running at (current) full capacity, but with the exception of the first one from York and first one from Leeds, they’ve so far been Anglo-Scottish services.

The Leeds services are split into a 1tph/2tph split at the moment - pick one of the ones in the 2tph. First Class in the middle of the day may be your best bet.

Almost all Leeds services are 9/10-car at the moment. Coach C is unreserved on most services.

I wouldn’t pick a York starter, as they call all stations so are the ones used most for local hops.

Yeah coach C on 99% of services is left unreserved, and on occasions for some reason Coach G.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top