• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quiet coach- what's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazthomas

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2011
Messages
3,466
Location
Llandudno
Sitting in a quiet coach, all manner of annoying bleeps and samples are going off when my fellow travellers phones "ping". How do I stop effectively!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Johnny_w

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2011
Messages
251
Location
Rural suffolk
I guess you don't, or can't.

Generally I always book the quiet coach.... Phones to silent and can sit and talk to my daughter or whatever.

If it's a major problem talk to the guard or train manager I suppose?

JW
 

Pumbaa

Established Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
5,022
If it's any consolation, XC are getting rid of their Quiet zones.
 

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Joined
21 Apr 2013
Messages
28,692
Location
Nottingham
It's a bit easier pointing out the quiet coach sign to someone yammering away on the mobile than just to ask them to shut up and sounding as if you are being a bit petty!

First I heard of XC's removing these - another reason to avoid this TOC whenever possible.
 

Johnny_w

Member
Joined
23 Jan 2011
Messages
251
Location
Rural suffolk
I can see the point of removing the Quiet coach on a Voyager only being 5 car anyways.

On Longer sets it's quiet a nice place to sit and enjoy the word going past.

Last time I was on a non-quiet 1st class (Greater Anglia) I was subject to someone watching a DVD player without headphones. Not a great experience for anyone to be honest.

JW
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,035
Location
Gloucester
Many people do not seem to understand the concept of the Quiet Zone, despite there being stickers on the windows and staff telling passengers!
 

starrymarkb

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2009
Messages
5,985
Location
Exeter
ICEs do it well - With the window coating mobiles don't work :) Non quiet coaches have mobile repeaters to allow calls.
 

table38

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
1,812
Location
Stalybridge
I gave up booking in the Quiet Coach, as there always appeared to be one woman so engrossed with her own inane conversation that she hadn't realised she was the only one talking :(

On one occasion, I did helpfully point at the "Quiet Coach" sign, but she said that didn't apply to people talking. It didn't help that she had already had a long noisy conversation with the catering staff when they came through.

Other (rare) interventions have usually elicited the response that "that's where our seats were reserved" or "oh well, were sat here now" from a family with two kids <(

So now I find it less stressful to sit in the Unquiet Coach!

(Bring back the smoking coach, where the atmosphere was much more relaxed, if a little smoky)
 

Tibbs

Member
Joined
22 Aug 2012
Messages
894
Location
London
Many people do not seem to understand the concept of the Quiet Zone, despite there being stickers on the windows and staff telling passengers!

The discussion of the quiet coach reminds me of the adage about driving: Everyone slower that you is an idiot, everyone faster than you is a maniac.

Substitute quieter and louder and you're pretty close!
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,830
Location
Stirlingshire
I gave up booking in the Quiet Coach, as there always appeared to be one woman so engrossed with her own inane conversation that she hadn't realised she was the only one talking :(

On one occasion, I did helpfully point at the "Quiet Coach" sign, but she said that didn't apply to people talking. It didn't help that she had already had a long noisy conversation with the catering staff when they came through.

Other (rare) interventions have usually elicited the response that "that's where our seats were reserved" or "oh well, were sat here now" from a family with two kids <(

So now I find it less stressful to sit in the Unquiet Coach!

(Bring back the smoking coach, where the atmosphere was much more relaxed, if a little smoky)

Excellent idea :p
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,830
Location
Stirlingshire
I think a quiet coach is a flawed concept - either it is silent (impractical) or unrestricted :p
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
The quiet coaches on FGW are not without their problems on occasion, but overall there are quieter than the other carriages in my experience.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
The ones on EC tend to be quite quiet from experience. As ever, it depends on the number of people though.
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,830
Location
Stirlingshire
The ones on EC tend to be quite quiet from experience. As ever, it depends on the number of people though.

Especially First Class Off Peak - any coach is almost a Quiet Coach - interspersed with the welcome sound of the Complimentary Drinks Trolley :lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top