• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quickest way from Farringdon to the EMR platforms at St Pancras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markuk

Member
Joined
16 Mar 2021
Messages
44
Location
Northamptonshire
So, is it Thameslink to St P and then up to the EMR platforms?
Or underground to St P and then up to the EMR platforms?

Which route would be most reliably the quickest?

Answers on a postcard... :)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Belperpete

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2018
Messages
3,698
Thameslink brings you out almost under the EMR platforms, but then you have to walk all the way to the escalators in what can be a very congested area to get up to the high level and back the way you came along the high level. Even so, I suspect that it is a slightly shorter walk than from the Met platforms.

But I think the Met has a higher service frequency, so you could wait slightly less time for a train. Doubt that there is much in it TBH.
 

zwk500

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Jan 2020
Messages
18,661
Location
Northampton
Thameslink is scheduled for 3.5 minutes from Farringdon to St Pancras Thameslink Platforms. There is a train every 2.5-3 minutes or so.
Circle/H&C/Met Line is scheduled for 3 minutes from Farringdon to King's Cross St Pancras Underground station. There is a train every 2.5-3 minutes or so.

I agree with @dastocks that the difference between them at St Pancras is substantial, so I'd say Thameslink is going to be the best option for more than 90% of the day. There may be a small window when the Thameslink frequency drops far enough below the Tube frequency to make it quicker via the underground.
 

Belperpete

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2018
Messages
3,698
I would agree that from the barrier lines, Thameslink is shorter. However, from Thameslink platforms to barrier is a bit of a circular trek, and there can often be significant congestion waiting to get on the escalator. Whereas from the Met it is up a short flight of duplicate steps and you are at the barrier line. The route from Thameslink platforms to EMR platforms can get quite congested at busy times, whereas the route from the Met is generally more free flowing,
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
If Thameslink is operating normally then that will be fastest route. Make sure you're in carriage 5 on a 12-car (I think it'll be carriage 3 on an 8 - someone will be able to confirm) for a speedy exit.

Don't use the escalators if it's busy - walk up the fixed stairs. Once through the ticket barrier you need to walk towards the Eurostar departure area, the first set of escalators are down - you want the secord set which are up to the EMR concourse. My fastest is Thameslink train to EMR departure in three minutes.

If Thameslink is disrupted or there's a log wait then take the Met/Circle/H&C to Kings Cross St Pancras. I would exit via the Western Ticket Hall, exit through the barriers and turn left, up the stairs in front of the TfL Visitor Centre and turn right into St Pancras station proper, then up to the first floor at the earliest opportunity.
 

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,569
Location
Hampshire
I think getting in the correct carriage on Thameslink is the key. Then you'll be ahead of the crowd on the first St. Pancras escalator. Even if you get in a wrong carriage at Farringdon you can take advantage of the walk through nature of the trains to position yourself correctly. I do that regularly for my journeys from Blackfriars to Finsbury Park.
 

WAB

Established Member
Joined
27 Jun 2015
Messages
1,304
Location
Anglia
If Thameslink is disrupted or there's a log wait then take the Met/Circle/H&C to Kings Cross St Pancras. I would exit via the Western Ticket Hall, exit through the barriers and turn left, up the stairs in front of the TfL Visitor Centre and turn right into St Pancras station proper, then up to the first floor at the earliest opportunity.
I normally turn right after going through the barriers, then go up the stairs to the right (signed as for street level), take the second left at the top of the stairs, and go up the Grand Terrace staircase on the right. This avoids the faffing tourists on the stairs and around the visitor centre and means you never have to step foot in the congested lower level with its shops, tourists and Eurostar queues. You get to use the quiet and much grander platform level instead.
 

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2017
Messages
3,506
Location
Leicestershire
Personally I always do Thameslink as it also brings you out nearer to the EMR platforms than the underground does.
 

Belperpete

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2018
Messages
3,698
Personally I always do Thameslink as it also brings you out nearer to the EMR platforms than the underground does.
As per previous posts, vertically yes, you are directly underneath, but in walking terms I don't think there is much difference. It can take awhile to get from the Thameslink platform to the barriers, particularly if the way out is still congested by passengers off the previous train, and then you have to walk a far distance down the congested lower concourse to get to the escalators (assuming that they are in service), and then back along the upper concourse to the EMR platforms.

Whereas if you stand in the right place on a Met train, you can be up the stairs and through the barriers in a few seconds. Up past the travel centre into St Pancras proper (the only bit that occasionally suffers congestion) and up the stairs to the deserted upper concourse, and you can quickly get to the EMR platforms.

I will admit that it is a slightly longer walking route, but it is much less congested, and you don't run the risk of finding one or even both the up escalators out of action. Unfortunately I have been caught too many times by congestion getting out of Thameslink, or by the escalators being out of action, that I now always use the underground in preference to Thameslink.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top