The wife and I have four children (3x 7 year olds - yes, triplets - and an 18 month old) so have a Friends and Family railcard to reduce the cost of train travel.
Whenever we (wife and I) take a journey without the girls we always make use of the railcard, paying for the baby to take advantage of the railcard discount (reducing the price from £7.80 to £6.00 on a day return) A few days ago however, I got into a discussion with a staff member in the ticket office at Liverpool South Parkway (next station along from HNX) who basically said that what we had been doing for a while wasn't allowed as a child had to be between 5-15 years old. We have been buying the tickets from the staff at the ticket office in Hunts Cross with no issues so thought all was ok with what we were doing. Whenever the girls are with us, we just pay 2x adult fare and 3x child fare as the baby under the age of 5.
Can anyone tell me what the terms are regarding paying for an 18 month old child to gain the adult discounts as I am confused as we've never been stopped nor questioned by the staff at Hunts Cross nor at the other end at Liverpool Central. Put simply, I don't want to end up with a penalty fare at some point in the future because we got it wrong, so i'm asking for advice if you will.
Thanks in advance
Whenever we (wife and I) take a journey without the girls we always make use of the railcard, paying for the baby to take advantage of the railcard discount (reducing the price from £7.80 to £6.00 on a day return) A few days ago however, I got into a discussion with a staff member in the ticket office at Liverpool South Parkway (next station along from HNX) who basically said that what we had been doing for a while wasn't allowed as a child had to be between 5-15 years old. We have been buying the tickets from the staff at the ticket office in Hunts Cross with no issues so thought all was ok with what we were doing. Whenever the girls are with us, we just pay 2x adult fare and 3x child fare as the baby under the age of 5.
Can anyone tell me what the terms are regarding paying for an 18 month old child to gain the adult discounts as I am confused as we've never been stopped nor questioned by the staff at Hunts Cross nor at the other end at Liverpool Central. Put simply, I don't want to end up with a penalty fare at some point in the future because we got it wrong, so i'm asking for advice if you will.
Thanks in advance