• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question on alternative trains and routes during strike tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

WideRanger

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2016
Messages
398
I have just found out that my journey from Beeston to Glasgow tomorrow will be affected by the strike. I have been out of the country, and I got no message from Avanti (from which I bought the ticket). I have an advance ticket Beeston to Crewe on EMR (which isn't running at all between Derby and Crewe), and then Crewe to Glasgow (which seems to be running with some alterations)

I'm really keen to travel tomorrow if I can.

Looking at journey planners, it seems that there is a route available: Beeston to Derby on EMR, then Derby to Edinburgh on Cross Country, the scotrail to Glasgow. I realise that the services may be rammed. But in principle, am I allowed to take this completly different route, given that it is impossible to get a route via Crewe?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WideRanger

Member
Joined
15 Jun 2016
Messages
398
It is an Advance Single, Avanti West Coast and Connections, Adult Standard Class with Two-together Railcard.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,797
Location
UK
Unfortunately, the RDG policy for the strikes still does not include the comprehensive ticket acceptance that ought to have been in place from day 1. This adds unnecessary confusion and stress for passengers.

Clearly, from Beeston to Derby there is no problem - you are just using an alternative EMR service. From Derby onwards is where it gets more complex. Presuming you have a through ticket, this would be routed "AWC &CONNECTIONS"; the "&CONNECTIONS" bit means that it doesn't actually exclude any operators. Thus in principle, there is nothing excluding you from taking XC or ScotRail and conditions 5.2 and 8.4 of the Advance ticket T&Cs would effectively allow you to take their services as required to complete your journey.

It's also worth noting that, as EMR aren't running any services that would allow you to get to Crewe, you would otherwise be stranded if you couldn't take any other operator's services. In this scenario, condition 28.2 of the NRCoT would kick in, requiring any operator in a position to do so (i.e. XC and ScotRail, as operators running services that can get you towards your destination) to assist you.

In practice, I would expect staff to exercise discretion given that it's a strike day - and on affected operators, most guards will be contingency staff who won't have the training or equipment to check tickets anyway.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top