Slugger Onions
Member
- Joined
- 16 Jan 2012
- Messages
- 15
Hi to all UK rail boffins.
I'm a New Zealander with an interest in PT trying to get some information on tram-trains. It's not easy for me to come by information so I thought I'd see if there were informed people on this forum. I know the UK doesn't actually have any tram-train operations and quite probably won't, but my fluency in the German and French languages are well below conversational level.
From what I've been able to gather tram-trains are built to mainline safety standards and probably because of that, weigh considerably more than conventional trams and units for light-rail EMU's.
So why are they regarded as light rail?
I always though light rail is light rail because it's not sharing the mainline corridors with any heavy rail and don't need to be built to mainline safety standards.
It seems inferred (naturally I suppose) that tram-trains are trams that can run the mainline. But the more I research I can't help but think of tram-trains as the opposite; as really heavy-rail railcars that can run on (strengthened) street-embedded tram infrastructure. And of course they have the form/body of trams.
Or are my perceptions of what light and heavy rail are, simply askew?
I'm a New Zealander with an interest in PT trying to get some information on tram-trains. It's not easy for me to come by information so I thought I'd see if there were informed people on this forum. I know the UK doesn't actually have any tram-train operations and quite probably won't, but my fluency in the German and French languages are well below conversational level.
From what I've been able to gather tram-trains are built to mainline safety standards and probably because of that, weigh considerably more than conventional trams and units for light-rail EMU's.
So why are they regarded as light rail?
I always though light rail is light rail because it's not sharing the mainline corridors with any heavy rail and don't need to be built to mainline safety standards.
It seems inferred (naturally I suppose) that tram-trains are trams that can run the mainline. But the more I research I can't help but think of tram-trains as the opposite; as really heavy-rail railcars that can run on (strengthened) street-embedded tram infrastructure. And of course they have the form/body of trams.
Or are my perceptions of what light and heavy rail are, simply askew?
Last edited: