• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question about starting a return journey mid-way along the route..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
5 Jun 2022
Messages
102
Location
Isle of Wight
Imagine I have an off-peak return ticket from A to B.
For the return portion, can I get on the train at ANY station along the route that the train happens to be passing, or do I HAVE to start at B for the return leg?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,721
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Providing the ticket allows break of journey, I expect you can start anywhere on the permitted route

Correct, unless break of journey is barred by a restriction code* or because the ticket is an Advance you can start a journey anywhere on a permitted route between the two places named on the ticket. Note in particular that Northern are quite strict in enforcing this for Advances.

Even where it is barred it may be tolerated if not done to save money, e.g. tickets from Bletchley to places north thereof generally appear to work the gateline at Milton Keynes Central.

* So far as I am aware the only restriction code that bans break of journey on a return portion is 8A, which is found only on Transport for Wales flows and a few other regional routes. It's far from clear that this was intentional, and TfW don't appear to be particularly bothered about enforcing it.
 

Gaelan

Member
Joined
3 Apr 2023
Messages
1,010
Location
Edinburgh
* So far as I am aware the only restriction code that bans break of journey on a return portion is 8A, which is found only on Transport for Wales flows and a few other regional routes. It's far from clear that this was intentional, and TfW don't appear to be particularly bothered about enforcing it.
Off hand there’s also 1X, used on flows involving Belfast-Cairnryan SailRail.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top