• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question about possibly getting prosecuted over £3

Status
Not open for further replies.

potatoso

New Member
Joined
20 Dec 2024
Messages
3
Location
London
So I was traveling on Chiltern Railways from Bicester Village to Oxford (15 min ride, price is 2.70 GBP). I was on a hurry and got on the train without a ticket. When onboard, I tried to get a ticket for that 3:45 pm train but couldn’t so I bought the ticket for the 4:12 pm instead. However, the inspector came and checked and he said that because I bought the ticket while onboard, I was technically got on the train without a ticket and therefore was committing fare evasion. He took down my name and address and told me to wait for a letter and then proceed from there.

The thing is I’m on a student visa and due to leave the UK in 3 weeks. I’m afraid I won’t be here when they send the letter to me. I’ve sent Chiltern an email expressing that I want to expedite the process, because I don’t want to get prosecuted just because I’m not able to receive correspondence (and over £3 too). My question is what do you guys think what my final outcome is? (fine, prosecution,…) and what should I do?

Additional information: I’ve been using trainline for a year, travel about 15 times, I’ve used the correct railcard, never evaded fare before. I did however requested refunds for 4 times in a row once on the London Euston-Manchester route last week because there were a lot of delays/cancellation on that day due to engineering works, so I decided to have my friends drive me there. Also, this happened on my Biscester Village-Oxford return, my Oxford-Biscester Village outbound was paid fair and square.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

plugwash

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2015
Messages
1,995
As I understand it, what you should do is set up mail redirection before leaving your current address, then come back to this if/when you get a letter.
 

jfollows

Established Member
Joined
26 Feb 2011
Messages
10,148
Location
Wilmslow
The outcome, if they write to you,could be for a settlement of £150 plus the £2.70 for the ticket, failing that a prosecution for contravening railway bylaws which you really don’t want. It’s not the amount, it’s the principle of not having a valid ticket when boarding a train. They will also check your Trainline purchase history, but valid purchases and refunds aren’t a major issue, just check your history yourself now and note the circumstances as you say. If you do receive a letter, we can probably help you with a reply as @plugwash says.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,293
The outcome, if they write to you,could be for a settlement of £150 plus the £2.70 for the ticket...
£2.70 is the price of a railcard discounted Bicester Village -> Oxford, Off Peak Day Single. Chiltern might well ask for payment of the cost of an undiscounted single ticket between the stations, £4.10 if Off Peak, or £6.10 if Anytime. The admin charge is, however, still likely to be three figures though.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,311
As I understand it, what you should do is set up mail redirection before leaving your current address, then come back to this if/when you get a letter.
International Royal
Mail redirection is costly. Also probably quite slow and only as reliable as the post in the destination country concerned.

Better to e mail chiltern fraud / revenue protection team and ask if they can deal with the matter by email.

There must be an e mail address for that team somewhere on this forum. Not a customer services or general e mail address

Post the draft of the e mail here for us to check if you think it would help.
 

potatoso

New Member
Joined
20 Dec 2024
Messages
3
Location
London
Hi, thank you for all your replies. So I have already sent an email to Chiltern fraud team expressing I already want to expedite the process and resolve before me leaving the UK in 3 weeks. If this drag on longer the 3 weeks, I’ve also provided an address for my relative here in the UK. Of course I still want to resolve this all by myself and over email would be best. Should I write them another email saying I want to resolve this over email?
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,715
Location
Burgess Hill
If this drag on longer the 3 weeks, I’ve also provided an address for my relative here in the UK.
I'd recommend arranging redirection with Royal Mail to that relative's address too, if they're okay with that. Better to make sure you get anything related to the investigation, and likely quicker, easier and cheaper for you too.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,311
Hi, thank you for all your replies. So I have already sent an email to Chiltern fraud team expressing I already want to expedite the process and resolve before me leaving the UK in 3 weeks. If this drag on longer the 3 weeks, I’ve also provided an address for my relative here in the UK. Of course I still want to resolve this all by myself and over email would be best. Should I write them another email saying I want to resolve this over email?
It’s unlikely to be resolved in three weeks I suspect, unfortunately.

I would set up a Royal Mail forward service to your relative in the uk. This isn’t very expensive if just for the uk if not overseas. See the Royal Mail website. You should do this soon as they need about 10 working days notice so if you are going abroad in 3 weeks you should put this in place next week I would suggest.

As you have e mailed chiltern railway already I don’t think there is much benefit in e mailing them again yet.
 

mrmartin

Established Member
Joined
17 Dec 2012
Messages
1,296
This redirection stuff won't work if he's from a country with a non existent postal service. Some countries don't even have a postal service, and many others it doesn't work at all (even in the EU).
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,311
This redirection stuff won't work if he's from a country with a non existent postal service. Some countries don't even have a postal service, and many others it doesn't work at all (even in the EU).
Yes. But luckily He has a relative in the uk post could presumably be redirected to which would be a better alternative as relative can then monitor OPs mail.
 

potatoso

New Member
Joined
20 Dec 2024
Messages
3
Location
London
Thanks everyone, I’ve set up a mail redirection to my relative’s address. Will let you know if I need any assistance when I receive the letter
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,039
Location
Up the creek
Do make sure that your relative knows that they should immediately deal with any official looking letter that arrives and not just shove it in a drawer to give it to you when you next visit. You will have to put up with the possibility of them opening other letters as I don’t think that those from the railway always make clear who they are from or what they concern. (I am NOT an expert.)
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,311
Thanks everyone, I’ve set up a mail redirection to my relative’s address. Will let you know if I need any assistance when I receive the letter
For peace of mind you may wish to test your redirect in a few days time. Send a letter to your old address addressed to yourself and see if it turns up at your relatives.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top