• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question about freight "platforms" at Acton Main Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

London Anorak

Member
Joined
14 Jun 2017
Messages
8
Hi everyone,

Perhaps someone can help me with a question. I enjoy photographing freight trains and noticed recently that trains passing through Acton Main Line are allocated a "platform" on RealTimeTrains. The platforms are: GL, DG, URL, RL.

My question is: what do these letters actually mean - I presume something to do with "Goods Line", "Relief Line" etc., and do they actually correspond to the specific track/line/road the trains run on? Thanks in advance!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

takno

Verified Rep - Traksy
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
6,593
UR = Up Relief (Platform 4),
RL = Down Relief (Plat 3),
GL appears to be the poplar lines (the ones to Canal Wharf that run north of the station). I'd guess DG would be the down line of this pair, although I'm not seeing that on any trains.
 

JN114

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2005
Messages
3,530
RL is either Relief Line- not specifically Down Relief. DRL exists as an option in timetable planning software.

Usual caveat of platforms in RTT are what are planned and may differ from what actually happens.
 

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2016
Messages
3,199
I believe the line codes exist in the timetable for the benefit of ARS routing. RTT just regurgitates the information.
 

The Planner

Veteran Member
Joined
15 Apr 2008
Messages
19,710
I believe the line codes exist in the timetable for the benefit of ARS routing. RTT just regurgitates the information.

In the case here or in general? Line codes are used pretty much anywhere where there are more than two tracks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top