• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Question about combining Ouigo and Eurostar travel

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
Hi all,

I’m currently in the midst of a Trip Planning Process session (ooh it’s been ages since my last TPP session!) and I won’t go into full details of the adventure at this stage. The outward leg is all sorted bar the travel to London, which I’m either going to do cheaply on the day or I’m going to book an IC journey soon for reasonable money. The relevant part which I’m struggling with is the return journey to London.

To cut a long story short, I’ve got multiple options for returning from Nice to the UK. Flying is by far the quickest, indeed there’s an option to fly with KLM for the first time. However, I’m not sure I fancy flying so I’m looking at going by train as I am on the outward. All my train options are exciting, but my question is this:

If I book Ouigo (lo-cost TGV) from Nice to Paris, leaving realistically 3 or 4 hours between arrival in Paris and departing for London, do I have a leg to stand on if the TGV’s really late and I don’t make it? Same question for if I can find Nice to Lille.

I’m pretty sure I read if it’s a through fare, you’re covered and you get put on the next train. There’s no through fares showing for the week I’m coming back from Nice, so either they’re all sold out (entirely possible) or they’re not on sale yet. If they do go on sale I’m more than happy to buy one.

I know with airlines it’s basically self-transfer, if you miss the flight then it’s tough bananas. I’d like to think the railway is a bit more sensible for cross-Europe travel, however I’m not convinced. For reference, the idea of 3 or 4 for the connection in Paris is not just for allowing for delays, but also to grab a coffee and enjoy the stroll from Gare de Lyon to Gare du Nord. Always wanted to do it, so I’d be allowing time for that too. Outward I’m planning to use the RER but I do like the idea of getting my fast feet on and doing the walk on the way to Nice as well.

On which note, does the buffet car on Eurostar still sell tickets for the RER? Never tried it but I’m keen to give it a go as well. Not a fan of the long walk at Gare du Nord for the RER but my fast feet can make it in just a couple of minutes.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,404
Location
Bedford
Ouigo is operated by SNCF’s low cost subsidiary which doesn’t subscribe to Railteam and thus has limited connections protection unfortunately as they only ever sell point to point. The only exception is if using Interrail - as this is one ticket (and Interrail is now valid on Ouigo with a reservation fee).
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,525
Location
Leuven
Interrail doesn't see a journey with multiple operators as a single contract of carriage if there are mandatory reservations involved. They don't warn you about that, except in their t&c, so I doubt it will stand up in court, but that's how they see it.
 

williamn

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2008
Messages
1,703
I’d say a delay of that magnitude is highly unlikely and should it occur I’m pretty sure that Eurostar staff would take pity on you and put you on the next train. In person Eurostar staff are generally more helpful than ‘customer service’.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
Thanks everyone, that’s good to know :) I have considered an InterRail of a short duration to see a bit more of France, but this is primarily my annual escape to the sun and escaping from unwanted greetings of an annual variety. Something special about Nice that makes me go back year after year :D

Railteam is the thing I was trying to remember the name of last night, I just could not think what the second part of the name was! Thanks for clearing that up :)

I could potentially end up on the sleeper which does appeal, although if I do that it will only be in a private compartment!
 

Sir Felix Pole

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
2,209
Location
Wilmslow
Yes, you are on your own with Ouigo - only point to point fares are offered and no through ticketing. Try a TGV Inoui service from Nice instead? To be honest the direct walking route from Gare du Nord to Lyon isn't very memorable - the longer route via Bd. de Sebastopol / Rue de Rivoli is preferable.
 

Thames99

Member
Joined
11 Sep 2023
Messages
336
Location
Reading
On which note, does the buffet car on Eurostar still sell tickets for the RER? Never tried it but I’m keen to give it a go as well. Not a fan of the long walk at Gare du Nord for the RER but my fast feet can make it in just a couple of minutes.
Yes, they sell Navigo cards with two journeys on them. When I travelled a couple of weeks ago they made an announcement offering the cards and then shortly afterwards said that they had sold out. Maybe worth getting there earlier rather than later.
 

quantinghome

Established Member
Joined
1 Jun 2013
Messages
2,913
Yes, they sell Navigo cards with two journeys on them. When I travelled a couple of weeks ago they made an announcement offering the cards and then shortly afterwards said that they had sold out. Maybe worth getting there earlier rather than later.
Or download the app. We made the mistake of waiting until Gard du Nord to get navigo tickets. It was an absolute farce with huge queues for both over-the-counter and ticket machines.
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,015
I've never had to try it, but from what I've read Eurostar are generally fairly accommodating if you turn up having missed your train because of a delay on a previous train.

The last time I looked it was stated on their web site that they would accomodate passengers if they were delayed on the way to St Pancras on a UK train. I'm not sure about the other end of the tunnel.
 

37201xoIM

Member
Joined
29 Apr 2016
Messages
372
I’d say a delay of that magnitude is highly unlikely and should it occur I’m pretty sure that Eurostar staff would take pity on you and put you on the next train. In person Eurostar staff are generally more helpful than ‘customer service’.
I've never had to try it, but from what I've read Eurostar are generally fairly accommodating if you turn up having missed your train because of a delay on a previous train.

The last time I looked it was stated on their web site that they would accomodate passengers if they were delayed on the way to St Pancras on a UK train. I'm not sure about the other end of the tunnel.
I would agree with the above. And given you're talking about leaving 3-4 hours between arrival and departure across Paris, by definition if the connection were at risk there would clearly be some very serious disruption going on, so for my part I'd have little doubt that EST would do their best to accommodate you on the next available (though bear in mind that e.g. on Sunday evening "next available" might not be the next actual train, if one is full).
 

SHD

Member
Joined
18 Jul 2012
Messages
572
Yes, you are on your own with Ouigo - only point to point fares are offered and no through ticketing. Try a TGV Inoui service from Nice instead? To be honest the direct walking route from Gare du Nord to Lyon isn't very memorable - the longer route via Bd. de Sebastopol / Rue de Rivoli is preferable.

The direct and best walking route from Nord to Lyon (also valid in the opposite direction obviously) is to walk past Gare de l'Est, join Quai de Valmy through the Rue des Récollets, enjoy the stroll along the canal until it becomes underground, continue to Bastille and from there to Gare de Lyon.
Much nicer than Strasbourg and Sébastopol boulevards.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
Thanks for the insight everyone, including on the walking route. I’m not a fan of the trains on RER D, had a fairly rancid one on my first try of it and that soured my view forevermore on them. Plus if it’s a nice day it would be good to stretch the legs between journeys, given that in the southbound direction it would be close to 6 hours on one train. Good to keep the body moving kind of thing, potentially stock up on supplies before boarding too.

I’ve put my passport somewhere safe, so I’ve not booked anything further until I find it. All being well, I’ll have it all sorted this weekend, if not it’ll be early next week.

So far I’m not super convinced that I like the concept of the sleeper train, plus the Ouigo TGV goes on what appears to be a very different route to the InOui TGV so the new coverage is tempting. The very early start, admittedly not so!
 

Birkonian

Member
Joined
19 Sep 2017
Messages
292
Thanks for the insight everyone, including on the walking route. I’m not a fan of the trains on RER D, had a fairly rancid one on my first try of it and that soured my view forevermore on them. Plus if it’s a nice day it would be good to stretch the legs between journeys, given that in the southbound direction it would be close to 6 hours on one train. Good to keep the body moving kind of thing, potentially stock up on supplies before boarding too.

I’ve put my passport somewhere safe, so I’ve not booked anything further until I find it. All being well, I’ll have it all sorted this weekend, if not it’ll be early next week.

So far I’m not super convinced that I like the concept of the sleeper train, plus the Ouigo TGV goes on what appears to be a very different route to the InOui TGV so the new coverage is tempting. The very early start, admittedly not so!
I posted this before and recommend the 91 bus from Gare de l'Est to Gare de Lyon. Est is less than 10 minutes walk from Nord. From Gare de Lyon the bus goes closer to Nord.
 

Sir Felix Pole

Established Member
Joined
21 Oct 2012
Messages
2,209
Location
Wilmslow
Thanks for the insight everyone, including on the walking route. I’m not a fan of the trains on RER D, had a fairly rancid one on my first try of it and that soured my view forevermore on them. Plus if it’s a nice day it would be good to stretch the legs between journeys, given that in the southbound direction it would be close to 6 hours on one train. Good to keep the body moving kind of thing, potentially stock up on supplies before boarding too.

I’ve put my passport somewhere safe, so I’ve not booked anything further until I find it. All being well, I’ll have it all sorted this weekend, if not it’ll be early next week.

So far I’m not super convinced that I like the concept of the sleeper train, plus the Ouigo TGV goes on what appears to be a very different route to the InOui TGV so the new coverage is tempting. The very early start, admittedly not so!
The 0558 Ouigo Nice to Paris uses the avoiding line at Marseille but otherwise it is the same route as the later InOui services. If you do not want to use the RER in Paris, the 'traditional ' route between the Gares Nord and Lyon is the Metro, changing at Bastille.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
I posted this before and recommend the 91 bus from Gare de l'Est to Gare de Lyon. Est is less than 10 minutes walk from Nord. From Gare de Lyon the bus goes closer to Nord.

Thanks for that, I’ll look into that because it could be useful and a different way to see parts of Paris!

The 0558 Ouigo Nice to Paris uses the avoiding line at Marseille but otherwise it is the same route as the later InOui services. If you do not want to use the RER in Paris, the 'traditional ' route between the Gares Nord and Lyon is the Metro, changing at Bastille.

Ah that’s how it gets north, I thought there must be some line through a tunnel or something I’d not heard of.

Definitely still an option then, assuming the cost is reasonable when I book. I’ve not used Ouigo so I’m intrigued, however I’m equally aware it might be a bit of a let-down after Eurostar Plus and Standard Premiere on the way from London to Nice. The stark contrast between the TGVs may be a bit too much, so I might not do it anyway. Something to ponder when I’ve got some quiet time at work!
 

williamn

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2008
Messages
1,703
I’ve used Ouigo from Lille to Lyon and it’s fine as long as you take any food and drink you need with you and also as long as you don’t get stuck in a row of 3 seats, but that’s pretty easy to avoid when booking.
 

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2009
Messages
3,425
Location
S Yorks, usually
Maybe too late to consider, but for a more relaxed journey when I came back from Nice (heading north of London), I overnighted in Lyon, and took a Lille service from there to pick up the Eurostar.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,841
Location
Nowhere Heath
Will definitely aim to avoid the 3 seats thing, that’s for sure. Good tip on stocking up on supplies too, a supermarket visit will be done before the train.

Visiting Lyon, not considered that option but I do like it. It would certainly help break up the journey and allow an opportunity to see somewhere new. I’ll be investigating :)
 

Top