Having recently qualified for a London Councils Freedom Pass I thought that I would start using it on my travels further afield.
I think that I am fully familiar with where and when it can be used, but my query is about the mechanics of using it outside London. There have been historic posts on this forum about using non-London concessionary passes within London and, in particular, the non-interoperability of them with Oyster readers on TfL buses, which occasionally has caused problems with ignorant drivers.
My queries are about the reverse situation:
- Do most buses outside London have card readers on which concessionary passes need to be swiped? If so, do London Councils Freedom Passes work on these?
- Otherwise, do you just show your pass. Or do you need to state your destination and be issued with a ticket?
- Does the procedure vary by operator?
- Has anyone experienced any difficulties using a London pass outside London, of which it may be useful to be aware in advance?
Many thanks.
I think that I am fully familiar with where and when it can be used, but my query is about the mechanics of using it outside London. There have been historic posts on this forum about using non-London concessionary passes within London and, in particular, the non-interoperability of them with Oyster readers on TfL buses, which occasionally has caused problems with ignorant drivers.
My queries are about the reverse situation:
- Do most buses outside London have card readers on which concessionary passes need to be swiped? If so, do London Councils Freedom Passes work on these?
- Otherwise, do you just show your pass. Or do you need to state your destination and be issued with a ticket?
- Does the procedure vary by operator?
- Has anyone experienced any difficulties using a London pass outside London, of which it may be useful to be aware in advance?
Many thanks.