• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Queen St - Fort William

Regeff

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2014
Messages
55
I made my first trip over the West Highland Line using a Freedom Of Scotland ticket in November 1985. Out on the Class 37 hauled 0950 to Fort William from Queen Street and then returning immediately to Glasgow from Fort William on the same stock.

I'm certain that the same train crew worked both trains throughout. Is my memory playing tricks or was that the way then? Does it happen now?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

156401

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2025
Messages
15
Location
coventry
Not sure about 1985 operations but the current service to Fort William has a change of crew at Crianlarich. A Mallaig or Fort William based crew operate the Crianlarich to Fort William section, with Oban and Glasgow crews manning the Glasgow to Crianlarich section.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,988
Location
Airedale
If the working was self-contained and the turnround at FTW short, then it's possible. Was it a dated extra, because the traditional pre-Sprinter trains continued to Mallaig (or part of them did!)?
 

Regeff

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2014
Messages
55
If the working was self-contained and the turnround at FTW short, then it's possible. Was it a dated extra, because the traditional pre-Sprinter trains continued to Mallaig (or part of them did!)?
Long time ago now, but I have a feeling it was a dated extra and/or possibly only ran on certain days of the week.
 

Magdalia

Established Member
Joined
1 Jan 2022
Messages
7,420
Location
The Fens
Long time ago now, but I have a feeling it was a dated extra and/or possibly only ran on certain days of the week.
In the summer it ran every day, but in the winter only on Monday, Friday and Saturday.

I think that you are right that the same crew worked throughout. I hope that someone else did the Fort William run round, and that they got looked after with refreshments at Crianlarich.
 

Top