• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Quality of the Caledonian Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,830
Location
Stirlingshire
Would it be possible to have a "little gantry" so smokers can have a quick toot.

I would love to take a sleeper but have been unable to do so since smoking was banned.

I don't want to impinge on anyone elses enjoyment or health or start a debate on smoking.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bengolding

Member
Joined
31 Aug 2008
Messages
700
Location
Wentworth, Surrey
I've done it twice (four if you count each way). It is great. 1 of them was in the sale, the other was free due a lets just say 'a bad experience on a previous flight' :shock:

Found service on Virgin UC has gone downhill based on recent flights. Looking forward to my Singapore A380 Private Suite next week, before getting the Eastern & Oriental.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
my only major moan is the break noise of the MK2s and there temperature. Berth air con is fine but seated is iether to hot or to cold, nothing between. Can the breaks be modded to prevent the grinding and groaning currently experienced? Also, if MK3 coaches were used, could they be refurbed to include a micro buffet therefore meaning a seperate one neednt be carried? Oh and plugs would be good
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,916
Location
UK
I was on one of the last flights that had the in-flight massage. Have they cut back even more?

And if they have, is this because they've had to drop the price or because they're simply being greedy (or is the interior starting to fall to bits?!).
 

rmt-driver

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2010
Messages
289
I think it's because the locomotive would be beyond the starting signal at the end of the platform.

Incidentally, whenever I have been on the Sleeper the thermostat has usually been left in the middle position; the first thing I do is whack it all the way up. Quite comfortable. :)

That is if the Mrs doesn't get you kicked out first, Eh Peter ;)
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,830
Location
Stirlingshire
I guess you couldn't take your cat on the train either. :)

Thats a good point would you be allowed to take a Cat on a Sleeper Service assuming you had a berth to yourself or sharing with friend/partner.

Would it have to be conveyed in a carrier ?
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
only stipulation is about dogs, assume for other animals the normal conditions of carrage apply.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't think the berths are big enough. However, happy memories of a night/nights on the Shetland-Aberdeen ferry......................:D



esp when its bumpy, cant beat it can you?
 

rail-britain

Established Member
Joined
12 Aug 2007
Messages
4,102
Can the breaks be modded to prevent the grinding and groaning currently experienced?
Also, if MK3 coaches were used, could they be refurbed to include a micro buffet therefore meaning a seperate one neednt be carried?
It would be possible to fit disc brakes to the Mark 2 coaches, a small number of ScotRail coaches had them in the past (for use on push pull duties)

If the Mark 3 coaches were used, then obviously refurbishment would take place
There would be no need for a micro buffet as the Lounge Car would already include this facility
The issue would be trying to cram in a brake, seats, Lounge Car and buffet all into one coach, and it just isn't possible so two coaches would still be required
Equally, using a BUO would considerably increase the seating capacity, but as above would reduce the sleeper capacity
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,916
Location
UK
I think that for a next generation sleeper service, the idea of airline first class beds/pods is a great idea, with A380 style suits for first class (and at a premium).

Coupled with good advertising, to really emphasise the fact that the price isn't just a train ticket but a hotel too - and you don't need to fly late at night then check-in for an early start, or travel stupidly early and arrive knackered, and sleepers should have a strong future given the increasing cost of fuel and other associated costs (e.g. road tolls).

We can't keep running ancient trains forever and let them fall to pieces. We need to look to expand them, and especially look to how we can use them to get Brits into key locations in Europe to give even less reason to fly.

The next time I have a press event in mainland Europe that starts around 0930-1030 and I have to be awake at 3 or 4am to get to an airport, I'll be wondering why I couldn't get on a train at 11pm, relax with a drink, take it easy, sleep and be totally refreshed and ready for 0800-0900.
 

Bon Accord

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2011
Messages
111
Location
61B
Overnight sleepers through the tunnel would be fantastic, and as the years go on potentially ever more viable.
Just think, we could commission a new build series of overnight coaches, all built to the latest crash worthiness standards and with modern amenities.
How would we name such a service? Thinking about it, we could indulge in a canny bit of marketing here; seeing as the daytime trains are called 'Eurostar', perhaps we could call these night trains 'Nightstar'?
Fanciful admittedly, but you never know.........
 

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,830
Location
Stirlingshire
Overnight sleepers through the tunnel would be fantastic, and as the years go on potentially ever more viable.
Just think, we could commission a new build series of overnight coaches, all built to the latest crash worthiness standards and with modern amenities.
How would we name such a service? Thinking about it, we could indulge in a canny bit of marketing here; seeing as the daytime trains are called 'Eurostar', perhaps we could call these night trains 'Nightstar'?
Fanciful admittedly, but you never know.........

Perhaps they could have "Motor Rail " and Sleepers combined.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,916
Location
UK
perhaps we could call these night trains 'Nightstar'?

The thing is, for the time being I could see them originating from St Pancras to mainlane Europe only, not the previous idea of getting people TO London overnight to begin a trip.

When HS2 and others are built, overnight services from elsewhere in the UK to France and beyond might become a reality too. Clearly there becomes a problem when the journey can't be made in a single night, but if you have a train that has those Virgin upper class style beds - the advantage is they turn back into nice seats to allow you to sit up for another 6-7 hour journey during the day (or whatever). Suddenly you could go even further on a single train.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I think that as the economics of travel change, the idea of getting on a train in the late evening, and arriving somewhee at breakfast time the enxt day will becombe more appealing than having to ge tup in the middle of the night.

The idea of airline upper class style beds is a good one, and could be the trigger that is needed for the revitalisation of the overnight train concept.

Overnight services from London could reach the South of France, Germany, Denmark and Switzerland - a few hours more and you could be in Italy, Spain or Austria before lunch.
 

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Joined
28 Feb 2011
Messages
10,544
glad to here MK2 coaches can be disk break fitted. Wish they would, and sort the air con. As to overnite to europe, id use it!
 

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,849
Location
Epsom
I think that for a next generation sleeper service, the idea of airline first class beds/pods is a great idea, with A380 style suits for first class (and at a premium).

But these pod things aren't fully sealed off and lightproof are they? The pictures I've seen show the "walls" not going full height. At least on the present Sleeper any excess light coming in under the door if the gap is a bit bigger than usual can be blanked out with the towels.

I'd very much prefer cabins like the present ones for Sleeper trips.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
.
.
.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmt-driver
That is if the Mrs doesn't get you kicked out first, Eh Peter
I don't think the berths are big enough. However, happy memories of a night/nights on the Shetland-Aberdeen ferry......................:D


I think you might have missed the post elsewhere about the incident to which rmt-driver is referring... It's got nothing at all to do with any nocturnal type activities!
 
Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,916
Location
UK
But these pod things aren't fully sealed off and lightproof are they?

No, but I can't say I had a problem with that - you get an eye mask supplied in your complimentary travel bag (along with a sleep suit!). The lights are turned down too (just leaving a sort of 'night light' blue/purple ambient lighting).

For a train, you could perhaps raise the height of the walls. You could even put some sort of door at the end to give more privacy. The difference is merely that you climb in and they take a LOT less space.

I'm still saying that first class on the train could be the proper cabin, with en-suite facilities. It's just that the standard class will be of a suitably high standard to suit most people and give the capacity to make a service viable.

Otherwise, nice as it might be to have your cabin, there may be no train at all!
 

ApAp

Member
Joined
7 Nov 2010
Messages
130
Overnight sleepers through the tunnel would be fantastic, and as the years go on potentially ever more viable.
Just think, we could commission a new build series of overnight coaches, all built to the latest crash worthiness standards and with modern amenities.
How would we name such a service? Thinking about it, we could indulge in a canny bit of marketing here; seeing as the daytime trains are called 'Eurostar', perhaps we could call these night trains 'Nightstar'?
Fanciful admittedly, but you never know.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightstar_(train)
 

Furrball

Member
Joined
9 May 2011
Messages
601
Travelled back from Montrose on the sleeper last night/this morning. Suffered a noisy compressor or something directly under the berth which led to asking to be
moved, fortunately train was very quiet do plenty of berths free although did then end up being able to hear a wheel flat!
 

Essexman

Established Member
Joined
15 Mar 2011
Messages
1,476
I've used the Scottish sleepers about 30 times in the last couple of years and have few complaints. Sometimes the air con is a bit dodgy and there are quite often annoying rattles (often from door lock) but generally the cabins are fine. I did write to Scotrail to suggest they leave a card in cabin for people to report such problems as they are not so easily spotted when the train isn't running. I do ask for a cabin in centre of coach if possible, but the only bad ride I've had was once to Fort William when I was over the wheels and the track probably isn't as good as on the other routes.

I find the sleepers to be a superb way to travel. Just wish I could use them to Europe too as that would save so much time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top