• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prernasinghal3

New Member
Joined
14 Feb 2025
Messages
4
Location
Hounslow
Hey, so I usually travel from Hounslow to woking and bought tickets i two half's and if first half is not used i do refund and use other half for woking station but today I bought same tickets I refunded first half from Hounslow to weybridge and buy a new tickets from weybridge to woking but that ticket got failed to issue and I was unaware of the fact but then revenue protection asked me to show tickets then I realized that issued got failed so they prosecute me for not showing valid tickets and this is my third time offence. So I want some adive what should I do or what gonna be the consequences
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
So you have bought a ticket from Hounslow to Weybridge and refunded it if it hasn't been scanned/checked (not "used"), and another ticket Weybridge-Woking. You have been caught cheating twice before.

SWR will write/mail asking for your side of the story. They will say that they intend to take you to court, where you will be fined. They will normally agree to a financial settlement, which will cost you less but avoid a criminal record. They will do some investigating, and may want you to repay all the fares you have cheated on (plus a sum for admin).

However, you have been caught twice before. This may affect their decision. Perhaps you could tell us what happened each time, so we can understand better?

For now, there is nothing you can do apart from wait and work out how much you should have paid - and of course, stop cheating!
 

Prernasinghal3

New Member
Joined
14 Feb 2025
Messages
4
Location
Hounslow
So I didn't cheat intensionally like twice before is also not my mistake so one i remember is like that i bought tickets for 2 way travel together but because of some glitch it just came as I side only and then they penalized me for that.

So now I need to wait for their decision ryt.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,538
Location
LBK
It’s almost impossible to see what you’ve been doing. Please put in bullet points, what you’ve bought, why, you bought them, and why you’ve been refunding tickets. It’s really not clear what the facts are at all.

What were your other two offences? We rarely see people here who are already on their third offence.
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,290
So I didn't cheat intensionally like twice before is also not my mistake so one i remember is like that i bought tickets for 2 way travel together but because of some glitch it just came as I side only and then they penalized me for that.

So now I need to wait for their decision ryt.
If it gets to court and you need to explain things to the magistrate I would suggest you work on a clearer explanation as this is very difficult to understand.

If you can’t explain it clearly they will probably not believe you and the risk is they will then make a guilty verdict.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,781
So I didn't cheat intensionally
Claiming a refund on a ticket you had used was accidental? Pull the other one. It seems clear to me that you've been buying tickets in such a way that you can avoid paying your full fare. Nobody is going to accept that it wasn't intentional.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
So I didn't cheat intensionally like twice before is also not my mistake so one i remember is like that i bought tickets for 2 way travel together but because of some glitch it just came as I side only and then they penalized me for that.
Sorry, I should have been clearer: what type of penalty did you receive?
Was it a Penalty Fare which you can pay on the spot, or did you get a letter later?
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Hey, yeahs so it was penalty fare which i can pay on the spot and third time thay prosecute me
So two penalty fares, and not threatened with prosecution previously.
Your card may be marked, as itvwere, but I think it likely that things will proceed as I outlined, and if you engage with SWR you will be able to settle out of court.
 

Prernasinghal3

New Member
Joined
14 Feb 2025
Messages
4
Location
Hounslow
Yeah it was like that only I wasn't threatened before neither did I received any letter but this time this happened to me. So please can me tell bit more clear like what could be the consequences for this.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,538
Location
LBK
It’s still unclear to me - and probably many others - exactly what you’ve been doing. Which tickers exactly are you buying? Why are you refunding some of them? How often have you been doing this?
 

SuspectUsual

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2018
Messages
6,810
So as I understand this is what's happened:

- The OP travels from Hounslow to Woking (and presumably back again)

- Rather than buying one ticket for the journey, they buy Hounslow to Weybridge, and then Weybridge to Woking

- I assume there aren't barriers at Hounslow, which means if the ticket isn't checked before Weybridge it can be refunded

- Recently the second ticket "failed to issue" and the OP got caught out either by an inspection between Weybridge and Woking or at the barriers at Woking

- There have been two previous offences (not sure if they're the same type of offences or something else)

Is that right?
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,972
Location
Airedale
Yeah it was like that only I wasn't threatened before neither did I received any letter but this time this happened to me. So please can me tell bit more clear like what could be the consequences for this.
Basically as I said before (bold expansions)
SWR will write/mail asking for your side of the story. They will say that they intend to take you to court, where you will be almost certainly found guilty and fined.
They will normally agree to a financial settlement instead, which will cost you less but avoid a criminal record.
They will do some investigating of your travel history, and may want you to repay all the fares you have cheated on (plus a sum for admin).
When the letter comes, please come back and ask for advice. You will need to engage with them to avoid going to court.

PS I should have said that cheating the railway by not paying your proper fare isn't just wrong, it is a criminal offence (though not a very serious one - you won't be going to prison).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top