oliveyoutwo
On Moderation
- Joined
- 30 Jan 2025
- Messages
- 8
I received a Penalty Fare Notice this week for travelling without a ticket. The ticket machine at the station was not working and I wrongly assumed that I would be able to purchase a ticket at the destination station. The inspector (who issued the Penalty Fare) claimed that there was another working ticket machine on the other side of the railway and I should have used the footbridge to cross to the other side and buy a ticket before boarding. I will of course do that in the future.
I became aware that it is actually a criminal offence to board a train at a railway station without a valid ticket when the station has ticket-selling facilities. So I have paid the Penalty Fare Notice and learned my lesson.
Now I paid the Penalty Fare Notice in full, could I be prosecuted for committing the criminal offence of travelling without a ticket? (I did not have enough funds to make the payment when it was issued, but I paid online 3 days after it was issued).
The other question I have is rather hypothetical. I did check the signage at the departure station, it is exactly like the one in this post: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/stansted-airport-fines.253779/post-6451904, so I could in theory appeal to get the Penalty Fare refunded. If I do so to and the appeal is successful, would Greater Anglia have an option to start a criminal prosecution against me (in retaliation)?
I became aware that it is actually a criminal offence to board a train at a railway station without a valid ticket when the station has ticket-selling facilities. So I have paid the Penalty Fare Notice and learned my lesson.
Now I paid the Penalty Fare Notice in full, could I be prosecuted for committing the criminal offence of travelling without a ticket? (I did not have enough funds to make the payment when it was issued, but I paid online 3 days after it was issued).
The other question I have is rather hypothetical. I did check the signage at the departure station, it is exactly like the one in this post: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/stansted-airport-fines.253779/post-6451904, so I could in theory appeal to get the Penalty Fare refunded. If I do so to and the appeal is successful, would Greater Anglia have an option to start a criminal prosecution against me (in retaliation)?
Last edited: