zwk500
Veteran Member
Competing with point-to-point air fares directly is going to be 1. almost impossible because of the different networks' access charges and rail's generally higher cost base, 2. comparing apples with apples because of the low-cost airlines 'add-ons' fare structure and 3. very silly as the rail market will bear higher prices than the low-cost air market.Yes, but at a price that has some chance of competing with air fares. Whenever I travel to somewhere beyond Paris or Brussels I end up booking the legs separately because the through prices offered by Eurostar are pretty much always loads more expensive.
So the Price for London-Paris on the 0601 tomorrow is currently £182 on Eurostar's website.When I book the legs separately usually I manage to find a fairly good price. But of course this needs quite a bit of prior knowledge & perseverance, and the process is not attractive to most potential customers.
SNCF Connect is currently offering me the 11.01 Paris Montparnasse - Bordeaux train at EUR63
EUR 63 in GPB is 54.37 according to Google's current exchange rate. 182+54.37 = 234.37. So Eurostar are charging me 51 entire pennies more on the exchange rate than if I booked each leg separated direct with the train operator.
For comparison, Rail Europe would charge me £273.50 and trainline £266.61 for the same itineraries. If I shopped around and found a different itinerary I could bring the price down a bit, but then again Eurostar's journey planner was just asked to find me a journey from London to Paris.